Drop shackle- one side only!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fr311

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I did a 4/6 drop with flip kit. I noticed the right rear is about 3/4 to 1" lower than left rear. I put the front on Jacks to eliminate the front of being the problem which it did since right rear was still lower. I checked everything even switched leafs left to right and then shackles left to right. I measured everywhere and nothing seems out of place. I figure I'll just lower the left rear a bit to even it out.

Should I make a 3/4" or 1" plate to fit under the axle flip bracket or

Use a 1" drop shackle on just the left rear?

aRBee4863

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe the frame or truck bed is bent? If you've tried switching shackles, switching leafs, etc.

Another thing you might consider--see if it settles out after driving around a little. Maybe while you're waiting for a different shackle to come in?

I kept my stock shackles, I actually use them for driving around town, since the heavy-duty leafs I installed "undo" 1" of drop. The stock shackle puts it back to lowered where I want it. Try putting one of those on the left rear? You might not even need to buy a shackle.

OP
OP
F

Fr311

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The bed doesn't look bent. Checking body lines etc...

The frame is lower on the right for sure. I could tell the leaf spring is Slighty more compressed on the right side by comparing a measurement.

Frame doesn't seem bent or leaf spring mounting points broken. I did notice that the left hanger seems it be mounted about maybe 1/8" or less lower which would cause it to be higher but not 1" higher.

Unless the factory mounted the right leaf spring brackets further a part which could cause this also.

But do you think just running a drop or lift shackle on one side would cause anything weird as far as the suspension travel?

aRBee4863

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But do you think just running a drop or lift shackle on one side would cause anything weird as far as the suspension travel?

No? As it stands, the frame is further from the axle on one side than the other right? So all you'd be doing is equalizing the distance between the axle and the frame on both sides, and if those are the same, the load should be the same on each spring.

The 4/6 drop involves frame C-notching right? It sounds like that might not have gone exactly perfect, or maybe it did, but **** happens. :confused:
No one'll notice once you've got it leveled out though and it shouldn't matter long run.

OP
OP
F

Fr311

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
C notch done with bed on. One side at a time. Supported rear frame and left leaf spring off. So no extra weight. I also welded as much I can before going to the other side. No that I think about it, it was like that before the notch. I had put it on the ground after the flip to see it and noticed then thinking it was the front causing the problem.

The front is almost even when put the rear frame on Jacks. Sucks but what can you do. I'll try only one drop shackle first. Less work than making a 3/4" plate for under the flip kit. I would have to find new longer u bolts also if I do that.

aRBee4863

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The front is almost even when put the rear frame on Jacks. Sucks but what can you do. I'll try only one drop shackle first. Less work than making a 3/4" plate for under the flip kit. I would have to find new longer u bolts also if I do that.
Good plan, and I think that should work just fine. A 2" change at the rear shackle should translate to about 1" at the wheel. And like I mentioned earlier, if you held onto your factory shackles you might be able to put one on the left side to drop it down to match the right :D