dry ice for a ding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Anyone ever tried this? Last week I noticed a small ding in my door on my 2018 and a few days later my son said he had a ding in his 2021. Was gonna try the dry ice trick but wondered if anyone else has done it

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm gonna assume it's an innie and not an outie based on the term "ding". Might try Harbor Freight's paintless dent remover. I've had some luck with it. Otherwise break out the wallet and go to a PDR as mentioned above.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The theory of the dry ice is based in science. In practice it really is about the alloy , and the actual dynamics of the dent. Most often, I wouldnt expect dry ice to work. I have seen it demonstrated on youtube, but those videos basically show it working on something like if someone sat on roof or hood or something, that you could easily pop out by hand too.

If it is going to work it has to be within a day or two of the damage. You need to be able to shock the temperature of the metal ( you may need to gently heat/warm before you apply the ice ) I think this work on larger dents rather than small ones. But used in combination with some paintless ding removal techniques, you may get some some surprising results on a select few.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I have no idea when this happened. I had surgery and didn't drive it for almost 2 weeks and noticed it the first time out after that so it had been awhile earlier. If I can't get it then I'll live with it. It's barely noticeable but I know it's there.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used dry ice somewhat successfully before, but it was on the hood for hail dents. The truck had to be setting in the hot sun and the hood really hot. it did not pull them out all the way but probably 60% out. I don't see how it could work on anything but the hood or roof or trunk.

OP
OP
dhay13

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine is on my rear drivers side door about 1/2 way down