Dumb Tire PSI Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually have never noticed this, which is embarrassing, but should I adjust the tire PSI when the truck is loaded up? My tires are rated at 65psi cold. It was set at that when unloaded. However, with our toy hauler and approx. 1000lb of tongue weight, the PSI jumped to 75. Should I air the tires back down to 65?

rjkfsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Moving the vehicle will create heat which will increase tire pressure, but putting weight on it won't. As the bottom deforms and compresses the air, the rest of the tire expands and relieves the pressure. Here is an article from Bridgestone that explains the physics...

RK

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Air them up to the High Load psi when cold. Then do not bleed it off until you are empty and want a smoother ride again with little or no load in it.

+1 on outside air temps impacting your tire pressures by a few psi, even as you roll down the road. But loading or unloading your truck will not cause a change in the actual or displayed psi.

...there is no dumb question. :ehcapt:

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
I would inflate the tires to whatever their manufacturer says (it will be on the side of the tire) when cold, and not worry with it much. Some sidewall deflection is common when towing and hauling heavy loads.:gathering:

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are they rated at 65PSI max? Or is that the pressure the placard on your door jam calls for?

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that you guys say that weight doesn't cause the PSI to change, I think the pressure may have been off before I hooked the trailer up. I only check PSI loaded and the front tires had 65 and rear had 75. Not sure how that happened.

Anyway, now that Im back from my trip and are driving empty. What should I set my PSI at? the max cold rating is 65psi. The tires are nitro terra grappler 305/70/17 with a E rated 10-ply side wall. The truck is a quad cab short bed, if that matters.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just FYI, you DO NOT go by what the tire says on the side wall!!!! That's the maximum pressure that the tire can safely handle!!!
You go by what the door jamb sticker says. I've run 35 p.s.i. for years and never had a problem with tire wear. I guarantee, it you run 65 p.s.i. in those tires it'll wear the center of the tread out in no time.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just FYI, you DO NOT go by what the tire says on the side wall!!!! That's the maximum pressure that the tire can safely handle!!!
You go by what the door jamb sticker says. I've run 35 p.s.i. for years and never had a problem with tire wear. I guarantee, it you run 65 p.s.i. in those tires it'll wear the center of the tread out in no time.

I feel that is not always the best Idea. What about guys who have duallys with a 80psi door sticker, then they put on huge A/T tires that are generally only rated at 65?

Also, I have been running 60psi on my 1500 and my tire wear is completely flat after 50k miles.

The original question however, was for a F350 that has the same tires as my ram. nitro terra grappler 305/70/17. I think tire pressures are confusing when it comes to aftermarket tires and sizes. There seams to be no definite answer.

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel that is not always the best Idea. What about guys who have duallys with a 80psi door sticker, then they put on huge A/T tires that are generally only rated at 65?

Also, I have been running 60psi on my 1500 and my tire wear is completely flat after 50k miles.

The original question however, was for a F350 that has the same tires as my ram. nitro terra grappler 305/70/17. I think tire pressures are confusing when it comes to aftermarket tires and sizes. There seams to be no definite answer.

There is no "definite" answer on paper, correct. However, running at the tire's MAX rated PSI certainly is not the answer in most cases. The MAX PSI rating is where the maximum load capacity of the tire is rated.

Here's the deal. It's is normally a safe bet to go by the door placard when replacing tires of the same size, load rating and max rated PSI. Even if it's not the same brand of tire, maybe it's slightly plus sized, etc...you're still going to end up right around what the door says. If you call the manufacturer, they will tell you to start at max PSI and adjust accordingly. That's because they don't want you to drive down the road and kill yourself or others due to low PSI. They will also tell you that they cannot make a recommendation on what PSI to run. Too much liability.

Even if you go from a D load rating to an E load rating, you're still going to end up right around what the door says. Most tires in the class and size that you will put on your Ram will have very similar load ratings around certain a PSI.

Change the rim size? If you're putting a low profile tire on a truck, hopefully it's XL (extra load) rated. Now you're going to end up putting a little more air to keep the sidewall stiffer than you normally would.

A general rule of thumb is to inflate the tires to the recommended pressure as indicated on your door placard. Then look at your tires. To find out if you are WAY off, do a visual inspection:

Do they appear under inflated? Drive around a parking lot and do a few figure 8's. Are you seeing wear on the sidewall lugs? Do you feel as if the sidewalls are rolling as you turn? Don't hop on the highway just yet.

Conversely, do your tires look over inflated? Is the tread patch of the tire not completely in contact with the ground? Do some figure 8's, do you only see wear on the center portion of the tire?

Given the extreme examples above, you might want to adjust +/- 5-10 PSI until you feel comfortable your tires are safe to travel short distances on.

Once you have determined your tires are safe to travel on, now you want to determine exactly what the recommended PSI is because you're concerned about long highway trips and long term tire wear.

For this answer, you will still use common sense and a little help from a tire PSI calculator.

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
-----

I went looking for that PSI calculator and found a more in depth explanation of what I just explained.

Tire Pressure Checker: Righting the Pressure in Your New Tires

The excitement of getting new tires can leave you giddy in the short term. But, if you expect those new tires to keep making you happy over the long haul, you’ll need to address some practical concerns before it’s too late.

Once you upgrade your tires, the first objective is identifying the correct tire pressure for street driving. To determine the ideal tire pressure for a stock truck, your best resources are the tire inflation placard and the owner’s manual. Unfortunately, these resources don’t help you when you don’t have stock or close-to-stock tires on your truck. Once you put bigger tires on your rig, it’s a whole different ballgame.

Let’s start with two simple ideas. One, the load of your truck is supported by the air volume in the tires. The constant is how many cubic feet of air can hold up a specific weight. What isn’t constant is the size of the container holding the air. Say you have two containers of different sizes holding the same volume of air. In this scenario, the smaller container will have higher pressure than the larger container. That means the larger tire needs less pressure than a smaller tire to carry the same vehicle weight. What many truck owners don’t know is how much less pressure is required. You can calculate this difference using one of four methods.

Let the sidewall tell you

This is the easy, guesswork method, and provides an immediate answer to your question. Find the maximum pressure as shown on your sidewall and let that be your street pressure. It will suffice until you have time to make a more accurate calculation. Note that this usually means your tire pressure will be too high, particularly if the truck is not carrying a load. This is because the maximum air pressure is the right number when the truck is fully loaded. The sidewall should also tell you the load capacity at the maximum tire pressure. That capacity can likely support half your truck’s weight, or more.

The advantage of using this maximum pressure is that it’s safe. You may even get a fuel economy benefit out of it, because your rolling resistance will be minimized.

The disadvantages are related to ride quality, handling, and uneven tread wear. At maximum pressure, you’ll feel every bump in the road. The contact patch will be concentrated in the center of the tire, which impacts the responsiveness of your steering and brakes. You may see faster tread wear in the middle of the tire.
Let the vehicle weight tell you

The tire maker defines the ideal tire pressure for loads of various sizes. You can get the chart for your tire from your tire maker, a tire shop, or online. A less accurate alternative would be a generic chart from the Tire and Rim Association. These recommendations are available in the most popular sizes, but the stated pressures are not specific to your tire.

Weighing your truck. The next step is to obtain the front and rear weight of your truck. Do not estimate or assume that your loaded truck weighs the same as it did when it rolled off the lot. You’ll get a more accurate result by packing your equipment onto the truck, filling the gas tanks, and even inviting some passengers to come with you to the scales.

Scales are typically available at scrap yards, recycling centers, landfills, and, of course, truck stops. You need to determine the amount of weight on your front tires, and then, separately, the amount of weight on your rear tires. If there’s a race shop near you, you may be able to use its portable scales to get these weights quickly.

At a truck stop, you’ll have to take three different weights. First, drive up and stop when only the front tires are on the scale. Record the weight. Next, drive your truck forward until all tires are on the scales. Take another reading. Lastly, drive off the scales so that only your rear tires are being weighed. If you’ve done it right, the sum of the front and rear tire readings should be roughly equal to the total truck weight. You may learn that your truck carries more weight on the front than on the rear. This isn’t that uncommon with pickups.

Next, divide the weight on your front tires by two to get the weight on each tire. Do the same with your rear tire weight.

Finally, consult your load/inflation chart again. Round the calculated weight up to the nearest tire pressure and add another 10%.

Check your results. To check your results, you can measure the tires and add pressure to balance them. Before you measure, make sure your truck is parked on flat ground. Then, along the centerline, measure the distance between the ground and the edge of the wheel on all four tires. As noted, if there are differences, add pressure to even things out. The profiles should be almost the same from front to rear.

The advantage of this method is that you should end up with the optimal pressure. Optimal means you are balancing fuel efficiency, the quality of your ride, handling and braking performance, and uniformity of tread wear.

This disadvantage of this method is that it’s tedious and could give you the wrong answer if you weigh or calculate incorrectly.
Let the chart tell you

If your truck has not been substantially modified, outside of the larger tires, you can use your tire inflation placard and a load inflation chart to identify a tire pressure.

GotExhaust.com

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The first step is to find the chart that goes with your stock tires. Locate the pressure that relates to the recommended pressure on the tire inflation placard. Then, look for the weight the tire should bear at that level of pressure. Next, get the chart for your new tires. Look for the same weight there. If that specific weight isn’t listed, select the next highest weight and record the recommended pressure.

Let’s go through an example, using a 2005 F-150HD that originally had 245/70R x 17D Load Range D tires.
According to the tire placard, at maximum load, the tire pressure should be 50 psi in the front and 60 psi in the back.
When you locate that tire at those pressures on the load inflation chart, the rated loads are 2,205 lbs. and 2,469 lbs.
The proposed new tires are 285/70R x 17D Mickey Thompson MTX Load Range D tires. The closest numbers on the load inflation chart for those tires is 2,340 lbs. and 2,540 lbs. These equate to 40 psi and 45 psi, respectively.

If you need to adjust for differences in the pressure or weight between the charts, you can do it using this formula:
Tire weight/tire pressure = Load capacity pounds per psi

You would start with the load and pressure closest to the original tire, adding or subtracting to find the proper adjusted pressure. In this example, the calculation would be:
Original tire: 2,205/50 = 44.1 pounds per psi
New tire: 2,130/35 = 60.8 pounds per psi

To determine how much tire pressure to add, subtract the weight of the new tire at pressure from the weight of the old tire at pressure. In our example, this results in 75, or 2,205 minus 2,130. Next, take that result and divide it by the pounds per psi of the new tire. This equates to 1.23, or 75 divided 60.8. Adding the 1.23 psi to our front tires would amount to 36.23 psi, which we rounded up to 37.

For the rear tires, the old tire had a slightly lower capacity than the new one. In this case, you could go with the 45 psi or let out some air to reach 43.6 psi.
Let the chalk tell you

You can also “calculate” your tire pressure with the chalk method. This involves coloring a section of your tire with chalk to see how much tread is making contact with the ground. Start by finding a flat road surface. Concrete is actually the best choice, but you can also do this on asphalt. Make a mark with soft chalk that goes all the way across your tread. Then, gradually drive your truck forward about 50 feet and then backwards 50 feet.

Analyze the chalk on the tire. If the chalk is only worn off on the center of the tire, reduce the tire pressure slightly and go through the process again. With the adjustment, you should see the chalk wear off more broadly. Keep making tiny adjustments in the tire pressure until the chalk wears off evenly and all the way across the tread.

You will have to complete this process for each of your four tires. Once you’ve found the right street pressure, add 10% to all four tires. Then, measure the tires and add pressure to balance them. As explained above, you need to measure from the wheel to the ground. Start by balancing the profiles of the front tires with each other. Then, balance the front tires again with the rear tires. Always adjust the tires with the smaller profiles by adding air.

The advantages and disadvantages of this method are the same as those involved in the second method above. If you go through the process correctly, you end up with the ideal tire pressure. But, this method is tedious and there’s a reasonable chance that you will make a mistake.

Testing your tire pressure

You should always test out the results of your tire pressure calculations with a heat test. If tires are under-inflated, unnecessary friction and rolling resistance will result. Those conditions generate heat. Manufacturers use tread pyrometers to test tire heat, but this can also be done by measuring the change in tire pressure. Note that this test is mainly for preventing under-inflation.

Do this test on a day that’s warm, but not hot. Ideally, the outside temperature should be mid-70s to low-80s. To set up the test, locate a relatively straight section of highway that’s 13 or 14 miles long. You want to drive at 55 mph, or the maximum speed limit, for about 10 or 15 minutes. The tires should be at resting temperature, so you may need to stop and relax in the shade somewhere to let the tires cool before you begin.

The first step is to measure the tire pressure of your cool tires. Then, hop on the highway and drive at the maximum speed limit for at least 10 minutes. Pull over safely and take another reading of your tire pressure. If the tire pressure has risen less than 10 percent, then you are done. Your tire pressure passed the heat test.

If the tire pressure has risen more than 10 percent, there is more work to be done. This is because a rise in tire pressure indicates a corresponding rise in temperature. For every 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the pressure will rise about 1 psi. In other words, a 10-psi increase equates to a 100-degree temperature change.

A compressor will come in handy here, so you can add air pressure immediately and run your test again. Start by adding a few pounds of pressure to each tire that demonstrated a large pressure change. Then, let the tires cool and take another 10-minute drive.

Note that tires with aggressive tread patterns tend to run somewhat hotter at the ideal pressure relative to street tires. This conclusion is based on observation and experience only, and there’s no conversion formula to quantify this difference. Just make a mental note that if you are driving on mud-terrain tires, they may generate more heat than a tire with a milder tread pattern would.

Once you complete this test, you should also drive the vehicle and pay attention to the handling, particularly around corners. Let your subjective judgment tell you whether the tire pressure is appropriate or not.
Adjusting for loads

You can use the methods described above for any load state. Just remember that if you add or remove weight from your vehicle after testing, the tire pressure will need to be retested as well. You could complete these tests again every time you change the load, but this will obviously be time-consuming. Many truck owners prefer a less exact approach. They will inflate the tires to max load when the rig is fully loaded, and then let out air for unloaded driving.
Pressure changes over time

Most tires drop about 1 psi of pressure monthly. Changing seasons will also reduce tire pressure, usually at the rate of 1 psi per 10 degrees of temperature change. For example, a tire that reads 31 psi at 30 degrees might read 35 psi at 70 degrees. The only way to address these changes is to check your tire pressure often and at regular intervals. You will be rewarded for your efforts with better fuel economy and more even tread wear.
One last note

The last three methods described above require patience and attention to detail. If you can’t dedicate your focus to the process, then use the max pressure noted on the sidewall.
[/QUOTE]

In short, the PSI of your tire depends on the weight of your vehicle and also in many cases how you plan on using your truck.

Here's the PSI chart I was referring to:
http://cache.toyotires.com/sites/default/files/imce/LoadInflation_Table_P-LT_102913.pdf

And here's some nice reading on tire load rating: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea i've been going off of common sense and just inspection of tire wear and how the truck handles. Everything seems great.

I should have mentioned this but didn't feel it was important since tire pressure relates to any vehicle. My first question was before I left for a trip. The truck was a f-350 the same 305/70/17 terra grapplers as my dodge. The tires are rated Max at 65 However the door jam for that truck is 55 front/ 80 rear. So certainly going off the door sticker would have resulted in a blowout on the side of the freeway. I just aired all tires down to 65 for that trip.

That got me thinking that I should probably check my ram. Door sick for that is 35 psi and Tires are rated at 65 psi. I aired them to 45 psi and everything seamed perfect: tire wear, handling, tire bulge, etc.

I do tow a boat and the same toy hauler trailer as the f-350 and I would never run the rated 35 psi that dodge says.

I realize that there just are too many factors at play and good ole' common sense is best.

Thanks for the responses.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If you door says to run 80 and you have tires that the max is 65 then you're running the wrong load rated tire.

lone12star

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What you need to look at is the load index, the load index on the tire indicates what that tire will hold at it's max, then look at your door plaque. If the load index meets or exceeds the requirements you are good to run 65 max in that truck. If I doesn't match the requirements or exceed it then it is the wrong load tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let's say a tire can hold 3650 pounds at 80 psi and another can hold 3650 at 65 psi, would the lesser psi tire still be too weak for a larger truck? I looked up the ratings of those terra grapplers and there are certain sizes with an 80 psi rating but hold the same capacity as my 65.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
Geeze what an awful thread.

The door jam's decal only applies to the original tires. Hopefully the original tires were the ones the door jam decal guy thought were going on that truck.

If the tires aren't or might not be original, then read the max pressure on the sidewall. You will not that it states "max cold pressure." That tells you that the tire mfr figured the tire would warm up a bit as you went down the road and they were ok with that. You can assume 1psi of pressure growth for every 10deg in tire temp going up.

Driving down the highway and around town is a pretty docile environment for tire temps so I wouldn't worry too much about cold vs. hot temps unless you set your pressures in Jan in MI and then drive to Miami. You could probably let out a couple lbs once you arrive.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
My Door sticker 40psi

My over size tires read 60psi max cold

I keep my tires at 50psi max cold

The best way to calculate the correct air pressure is not to go over the Max Cold psi rating of the tire that is on the vehicle.

Weather conditions affect tire pressure ratings and use.

Inflate tires to around max cold psi ratings
5 or 10 psi under is preferable depending on driving habits, road conditions and vehicle loads.

On dry pavement use a wide chalk to mark across the contact width of the tire.

Roll the vehicle forward on dry level pavement (don’t drive around the block) all it takes is a few yards.

Inspect the chalk mark and look for even wear across the whole width.
Chalk missing only on the sides : Under inflation
Chalk missing only in the middle : Over inflation

Adjust accordingly.

Tire pressure monitoring systems can help keep track of your pressures
at different temperatures, always check for correct cold pressures when the tires have sufficiently cooled.
Equality of tire pressure depends on if the air in the tire has been heated by atmospheric conditions or friction on road conditions.
Check cold tire pressures at night or early morning after they have been at rest for at least one hour.