E rated tire pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This could turn into an oil type thread, so apologies. I was at discount tire and got talked into replacing my previous Michelins with E rated Michelin defenders. I’m sure I paid more than I should but I will live with my choice. These went on my 2016 outdoorsman 5.7. I told the employee I tow a 6300 lb travel trailer to Florida and back each winter 2400 miles total. With my previous tires I kept them at 39 lbs as the door jam states and went to 44 max when I towed the trailer. He said with the new tires that show 80lb max to keep them at 39 like the door jam says for everyday driving then 55 to 60 when I tow. I use a WDH and I’m sure my load on the truck is close to the max Of 1300 lbs or so. My question is about the tire pressures. I might not get a consensus but need to get educated. The employee told me I’d be happy when towing which I’m sure is true. I don’t know if it’s my imagination but I already see a drop in gas mileage which doesn’t make me happy but when I go to Florida next winter I hope to be pleased. Input on tire pressure is appreciated. I’m hoping the employee knew his business. Time will tell.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
go to a CAT scale or other public scale and weigh your truck how it normally would be and use this guide for perfect psi. Most people are running too much psi.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2016 Outdoorsman states 43 psi on the door jamb - it came from the factory with E- load tires.
When I had the E-load Michelins, I usually ran them 45-50 empty and up to 65 towing.
Mine were the 17" version so it didn't ride that poorly.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
My 2500 with E rated tires 65 front, 80 rear which you probably already know. If you ever go to 80 make sure your rims can handle that pressure. Many rims are only rated to 65 PSI. i did something similar on my 2003 2500 V10. I ended up with 50 in the front and 60 in the rear when towing. As others have stated it would be good to know the actual weights when everything is loaded up.

Just to be clear here my post is just sharing a potential concern if someone goes to 80 PSI on a rim not rated at that pressure. My bad if I confused anyone.

Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
My snow tires are "E" range 265/70r18's I ended up with 50-52psi in the fronts and 46 psi in the rears unloaded, 55 psi when heavily loaded.
My "C" range summer tires listed on the door jam to be at 38 psi front and rear, when empty I ofter run 38psi front and 34 psi in the rears, the tread wear is looking good at those pressures, those are 275/65r18's.

I tried running the E range tires down to the 38 psi and my mpg sucked it lost almost 3 mpg.

BolletuH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2500 with E rated tires 65 front, 80 rear which you probably already know. If you ever go to 80 make sure your rims can handle that pressure. Many rims are only rated to 65 PSI. i did something similar on my 2003. I ended up with 50 in the front and 60 in the rear when towing. As others have stated it would be good to know the actual weights when everything is loaded up.
2500 is only rated at that for maximum towing capability. Truck really only needs around 45psi in the rear and 55 psi in the front. E rated tires on half tons are kind of funny to me... owners will never get near the capability that the tire provides. Regardless, OP, stick to door jam for unloaded driving and maybe 10 psi in the rear when towing.

OP
OP
P

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll do the chalk test soon. looking at tho toyo chart is helpful too. When calculating weight d you take the weight of the truck and divide by four? or by two? So if the truck weighs 5000 lbs it’s either 2500 or 1250 per tire. Excuse the ignorance I’m learning here.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Does bringing it up to 55 or 60 sound right when towing?

Yes it does. That’s where I run my Yokohamas. Can definitely feel a difference when under load.

Keep in mind that the door sticker refers to passenger tires.

Just as important, make sure your trailer tires are inflated properly too. :waytogo:

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll do the chalk test soon. looking at tho toyo chart is helpful too. When calculating weight d you take the weight of the truck and divide by four? or by two? So if the truck weighs 5000 lbs it’s either 2500 or 1250 per tire. Excuse the ignorance I’m learning here.
you need to weigh it on CAT scale it tells you the weight on each axle. this my Power wagon empty. each rear tire needs to support 1560lbs and each front tire 2150lbs. Add a little for a safety bumper and add psi accordingly for any load added.
1E04B066-7594-43BE-A7B8-495B2132D76C.jpeg

OP
OP
P

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone I think I have a better handle on it.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have Cooper LT265/70R17 E rated tires on my 2015, and run them around 45 psi, and they are wearing very well.

I would raise the pressure for towing/hauling if the need arises.

Have put 50k miles on them so far, and have some life left in them.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
1). I’ve learned the last place to get educated on tires is from a tire dealer. Anyone get told “I won’t sell you these tires because they’ve been sitting in the wharehouse too long? Tires DO have production dates on them. Anyway… sales people are liers. Educated yourself before buying.

2). I run tires to their MAX pressures as stated on the sidewall. Winter time you have to compensate by adding. Pressures are cold… driven under 4 miles or better not driven.

3). Important to know is tire TEMP, TRACTION & WEAR when shopping & comparing. Check the sidewall folks!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you go to the tire mfgr website and look up the exact tire you bought, there should be an inflation table per the amount of the load. That'll tell you what the pressure should be. So, go look at the tire model on the sidewall and look it up and try that (along with other people's suggestions)

Last edited:

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my 2 cents after 8 trucks and an average of 3 sets per truck,i went with the sidewall #s and aired up till it felt "right" to the load i was pulling/carrying.i never went off the door sticker (bc the first thing i do is ditch the oem rubber), even while unloaded.winter and summer made a difference as well."e"rated duratracs and "e" rated ridge grapplers will most definitely not ride the same going by the door jamb sticker.

Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
2). I run tires to their MAX pressures as stated on the sidewall. Winter time you have to compensate by adding. Pressures are cold… driven under 4 miles or better not driven.
Never;
that is the maximum pressure that tire is rated for with the rated maximum load upon it.

oldroy61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I drove Michelins for years on my Dodge ,and now on my RAM, best tire ever.
How heavy is your trailer loaded, thats the question , if you feel when your pulling,
that its on the edge of control run 55 and 75. If your think your trailer apiece of cake
run 45 and 65 . But if your at your max CGVW rating run 65 and 80 only thing you'll
lose is your ride. Chalk test unloaded. My 2 cents