E rated tire pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I will be near Discount tires in a few days looking at tires for wife's car, I will ask them about what I have read here, like I said all I know is what the sales person told me about 10 ply E rated tires about 12 years ago...
What he said to you is true, they stopped making true 10 ply or anything ply tires a long time ago ..

What a lot of people don't even know is that tires were made of even amounts of cotton layers, so a true 10 ply tire had 10 layers of a strong cotton material, then it changed to nylon then to the solid rubber with metal internals ....

So that is why now all tires are just 10 ply rated, or 4 ply for passenger, 6 (C) ply for LT (light truck) ...(D) is 10 plies (E) is 10 plies ...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To make it even more difficult when looking for tires, tire mfgrs seem to publish fewer specs about their tires every year. Just general marketing information, like snow and rain ratings. And even those don't mean a whole lot: What kind of snow? Slush? What temperatures? How deep are the sipes? How will they perform when worn 30%? Do the tread blocks go all the way to the carcass ..or are they connected? Noise? Rim protecting bead?

I envy the guy (well not really) who just goes in to the tire shop and says, "What's a good tire?" and goes with whatever the desk guy recommends ...and is plenty happy with them. :confused:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
To make it even more difficult when looking for tires, tire mfgrs seem to publish fewer specs about their tires every year. Just general marketing information, like snow and rain ratings. And even those don't mean a whole lot: What kind of snow? Slush? What temperatures? How deep are the sipes? How will they perform when worn 30%? Do the tread blocks go all the way to the carcass ..or are they connected? Noise? Rim protecting bead?

I envy the guy (well not really) who just goes in to the tire shop and says, "What's a good tire?" and goes with whatever the desk guy recommends ...and is plenty happy with them. :confused:
They really don't give out the full specs anymore lol ... those "whats a good tire" people are probably about 75% of people out there and it's actually quite scary to just be able to convince someone that this is the best so get it ... yikes!

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no more real 10 ply tires ... stop it ! lol .... They are all 10 ply rating which is E .... don't know where you got your info from but you are wrong ....
I'm not wrong, the internet is wrong. I just posted what I found. Some do advertise the plys, and most are four or five with a c, D, or E rating. A lot of the tires are using numerical ratings, i.e.,112, 113, 117, and the like.
So much info on the net that confusion reigns.

WHAT IS LOAD RANGE E?​

As the load range rating tells you the maximum load capacity of each tire, there will be certain tires that offer less or more plies in their construction. So, where do E-rated tires belong?

Load range E tires come with a 10-ply rating. This means that the construction of the tire offers equivalent strength to a 10-ply structure, but it does not necessarily feature 10 plies. As an example, the actual meaning of the E rating is that a single tire can handle 1,520 lbs at 80 PSI.

This means that all the tires with this rating will have the same maximum load carrying capacity thanks to the cord layers, plies, and internal structure. They are able to carry more load than a load range D or C tire, but less than a load range H size. This is the same for both radial and bias-ply tires.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I'm not wrong, the internet is wrong. I just posted what I found. Some do advertise the plys, and most are four or five with a c, D, or E rating. A lot of the tires are using numerical ratings, i.e.,112, 113, 117, and the like.
So much info on the net that confusion reigns.

WHAT IS LOAD RANGE E?​

As the load range rating tells you the maximum load capacity of each tire, there will be certain tires that offer less or more plies in their construction. So, where do E-rated tires belong?

Load range E tires come with a 10-ply rating. This means that the construction of the tire offers equivalent strength to a 10-ply structure, but it does not necessarily feature 10 plies. As an example, the actual meaning of the E rating is that a single tire can handle 1,520 lbs at 80 PSI.

This means that all the tires with this rating will have the same maximum load carrying capacity thanks to the cord layers, plies, and internal structure. They are able to carry more load than a load range D or C tire, but less than a load range H size. This is the same for both radial and bias-ply tires.
Why are you trying to tell me that an E rated tire is the equivalent of a 10 ply tire? :happy175:

You might want to look at my posts about me saying the exact same thing kid .... It's already been repeated again and again that E rated is the equivalent of 10 ply ... you are just beating a dead horse ...

I swear some people just comment to comment lol ... don't even care to read the posts, comments before they even decide to comment lol....

:doh2:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why are you trying to tell me that an E rated tire is the equivalent of a 10 ply tire? :happy175:

You might want to look at my posts about me saying the exact same thing kid .... It's already been repeated again and again that E rated is the equivalent of 10 ply ... you are just beating a dead horse ...

I swear some people just comment to comment lol ... don't even care to read the posts, comments before they even decide to comment lol....

:doh2:
I look at 'em, but they're just repetitive and beating a dead mule.

Dudro612

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put E's on my 2015 1500 and reached out to Continental to ask for their advice. They had a chart based on the PSI of 40 for D's, I told them what the door spec was and they said:

"Based on the information provided, please use 47 psi as your new standard operating pressure. This gives you 2,341 lbs. of load capacity per tire. If needed, when load hauling, you can air to the max psi of 80. This gives you 3,195 lbs. of load capacity per tire.

However, when you’re done with your load, you should always air to 47 psi."

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds about right. Kind of what some forum members indicated too.

Thanks for the FYI

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452