E rated tire pressure question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Never;
that is the maximum pressure that tire is rated for with the rated maximum load upon it.
Lol ... I am in awe right now ....

I have my E rated Nitto Ridge Grapplers set at 37 in the front and 34 in the rear and they are wearing evenly, no vibrations, rough ride nothing ...

Took me about a month to get the right psi combination for my truck, but I would never run the max psi on any tire lol .... smh

OP
OP
P

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 6300 lb travel trailer to Florida and back to Michigan each winter. Previous I had the Michelin defenders P rated. Ran 39 per the doorjam under normal conditions and 44 max when I towed. Truck towed well and I stayed at 65 mph in the right lane. I got 55k out of them and I’m not convinced they were worn out yet. That’s all irrelevant now since I made my choice. I’m sure I’m at the maximum cargo weight when I load the trailer up along with two bikes in the bed. Based on wha many of you say I’ll be a happier tower with the E tires. I’m at 40lbs right now and did the chalk test and it was worn evenly. I’ll try 5 lbs at a time increase till I think it’s too much. This may take me a while. The hardest part was finding chalk. Lol. Old school stuff. When I tow I’ll try 55lbs and see what happens.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow a 6300 lb travel trailer to Florida and back to Michigan each winter. Previous I had the Michelin defenders P rated. Ran 39 per the doorjam under normal conditions and 44 max when I towed. Truck towed well and I stayed at 65 mph in the right lane. I got 55k out of them and I’m not convinced they were worn out yet. That’s all irrelevant now since I made my choice. I’m sure I’m at the maximum cargo weight when I load the trailer up along with two bikes in the bed. Based on wha many of you say I’ll be a happier tower with the E tires. I’m at 40lbs right now and did the chalk test and it was worn evenly. I’ll try 5 lbs at a time increase till I think it’s too much. This may take me a while. The hardest part was finding chalk. Lol. Old school stuff. When I tow I’ll try 55lbs and see what happens.
Your ride will be a lot smoother when you’re not towing if you keep the tire pressure under 40.

I had a trailer a lil heavier than yours and would air my tires up to 70psi when towing with my 1500.

Your not imagining the mpg drop. The E rated tires are a lot heavier than C or P rated tires. Because of the increase in rotating mass, it’s going to take more gas to turn them and more brake to slow them down.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Run at the PSI shown in the truck sticker and after 2K miles you can accurately evaluate tire wear at the front and rear tires and make adjustments if needed. Don't get sucked in by someone advising to put chalk on the tires and see where it rubs off. This test is worthless but does sell more chalk to gullible truck owners.

With my heavy duty truck that would carry up to 4,000 lbs in the bed I ran with 80 PSI in the rear which was per the truck sticker and no issues. Forget about "E" rated and look at the sidewall of the tire. If it shows a max load of 3200 lbs at XX PSI then the two at the rear axle can handle at most 6400 lbs and if the rear of the truck weighs 3000 then the payload capacity is 3400 lbs with those tires.

With my own truck I replaced the factory tires rated at 3095 lb at 80 PSI for new ones rated at 3750 lb at 80 PSI for a payload gain of 1,310 lbs for the truck.

If towing from the hitch then the load on the rear axle is going to be less than 500 lbs and no need to do anything with the tires. The factory tire pressures are based on an expected load of 150 lbs per passenger and the total number of people that can fit in the cab. That is why a regular cab truck has a higher payload rating than an otherwise identical crew cab version of the truck.

Yarek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 magnum
This could turn into an oil type thread, so apologies. I was at discount tire and got talked into replacing my previous Michelins with E rated Michelin defenders. I’m sure I paid more than I should but I will live with my choice. These went on my 2016 outdoorsman 5.7. I told the employee I tow a 6300 lb travel trailer to Florida and back each winter 2400 miles total. With my previous tires I kept them at 39 lbs as the door jam states and went to 44 max when I towed the trailer. He said with the new tires that show 80lb max to keep them at 39 like the door jam says for everyday driving then 55 to 60 when I tow. I use a WDH and I’m sure my load on the truck is close to the max Of 1300 lbs or so. My question is about the tire pressures. I might not get a consensus but need to get educated. The employee told me I’d be happy when towing which I’m sure is true. I don’t know if it’s my imagination but I already see a drop in gas mileage which doesn’t make me happy but when I go to Florida next winter I hope to be pleased. Input on tire pressure is appreciated. I’m hoping the employee knew his business. Time will tell.

This probably isn't the proper chart for the speciifc tires you have, but just an idea of what you should be looking for:

These charts exist, and if you want to get fancy, you can interpolate between listed pressures and dial it in exactly to your liking. Then again: this is the manufacturer's recommendation and you can just go from there, to optimize your gas mileage vs. ride comfort, vs. ride stability when towing.

I run a relatively low pressure on my tires, knowing that I'm dropping my mpg from ~12 to ~11, but the truck is pretty darn stiff and the 1mpg is something I happily trade for ride comfort, and traction off-road. I'm nowhere near overloading the tires anyways.

kayjo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the used truck I just purchased is over-inflated in the rear according to a chalk test. I did nt use chalk , but running through a dusty road and then running un some clear pavement you could easily see that edges were not contacting fully weighted. I think there are times you can see over-inflation. However, Id think based on wheel alignment setup you are going to see some more wear on the chalk if you are running positive or negative camber or toe. Which almost all vehicles have set to maintain control and minimize wander.

Scrounger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 mega cab 4x4
Engine
6.7 I6 Cummins
70psi cooper e rated, 2500 6.7 Cummins

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I drove Michelins for years on my Dodge ,and now on my RAM, best tire ever.
How heavy is your trailer loaded, thats the question , if you feel when your pulling,
that its on the edge of control run 55 and 75. If your think your trailer apiece of cake
run 45 and 65 . But if your at your max CGVW rating run 65 and 80 only thing you'll
lose is your ride. Chalk test unloaded. My 2 cents
Anyone mind sharing what a chalk test is?

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Run at the PSI shown in the truck sticker and after 2K miles you can accurately evaluate tire wear at the front and rear tires and make adjustments if needed. Don't get sucked in by someone advising to put chalk on the tires and see where it rubs off. This test is worthless but does sell more chalk to gullible truck owners.

With my heavy duty truck that would carry up to 4,000 lbs in the bed I ran with 80 PSI in the rear which was per the truck sticker and no issues. Forget about "E" rated and look at the sidewall of the tire. If it shows a max load of 3200 lbs at XX PSI then the two at the rear axle can handle at most 6400 lbs and if the rear of the truck weighs 3000 then the payload capacity is 3400 lbs with those tires.

With my own truck I replaced the factory tires rated at 3095 lb at 80 PSI for new ones rated at 3750 lb at 80 PSI for a payload gain of 1,310 lbs for the truck.

If towing from the hitch then the load on the rear axle is going to be less than 500 lbs and no need to do anything with the tires. The factory tire pressures are based on an expected load of 150 lbs per passenger and the total number of people that can fit in the cab. That is why a regular cab truck has a higher payload rating than an otherwise identical crew cab version of the truck.
Don’t listen to this guy. He has no idea about what the original post is about.

Rlaman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Firestones say 80 psi max. Being as the truck is primarily used to haul my 6500lb trailer, I keep it at 80 all the time.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My turn to add to this. My truck carries a very heavy camper 99% of the time. I am currently using BFG All Terrain T/A KO2's (E rated) tires. I have used the All Terrain T/A's since the mid-1990's on my previous truck which also carried a heavy camper, but my current setup is much heavier than my previous setup. I have always run these tires, front and rear, at maximum cold pressure of 80 psi. I will admit that I am exceeding the weight limit for the tires, especially with my current setup, but they have performed flawlessly for me for years.

I will add that IMHO an E rated tire is not needed on a 1/2 ton truck. Why? If you want a harsh ride and have the money to throw away then go for it. I don't intend to offend anyone and to each their own.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It used to be in the old days if you bought a 10-ply tire, they had super-stiff sidewalls and you expected them to ride super stiff! LOL. But what I've noticed is with the popularity of pick-up trucks, and owners not wanting a 'harsh' ride, a lot of manufacturers have brought out LT tires that have much softer sidewalls than years past. Many e-rated tires don't ride as stiff as the old days.

But of course it depends on the tire and tire capacity (some DO have stiff sidewalls). They don't all have 10-ply on the sidewalls, and they almost NEVER tell (in the marketing specs). I wish the tire industry had a standard sidewall stiffness rating so buyers could make educated judgements before buying an E-rated tire. But like I say, many of the mainstream LT tires are nice riding. The Cooper Discoverer AT3 for example, a popular tire, if you feel the tire sidewall before it's mounted is stiffer than a P-metric tire, but not Super Stiff ...like one might think of E-rated tires in the past. Therefore they ride pretty nice. I put some Hankook Dynapro AT2's on recently and they don't ride super stiff either. Before buying a tire, it's real helpful to find a dealer who carries the tire you're interested in and go have a look at it, feel it's sidewall stiffness (before mounted).

Of course if a tire is pumped up to 80psi they probably will. But if you pump them up too high for the intended use then you run the risk of the tires bouncing on the highway which can lead to cupping or uneven wear. Match the air pressure with the load hauled. Or do the Chalk test (see youtube). Most mfgrs publish an air pressure table per the amount of weight on a tire.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
I love my E rated 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers ... the harsh ride for me is nothing, I am used to driving commercial vehicles, vans and am pretty used to it ... key is having those rear tires air down as far as you can possibly have them without them wearing down unevenly and it's very easy to do ...

My rear tires are at 35 psi and fronts are now at 40 psi since it's a bit colder ...

One other thing ... E rated 10 ply are really not 10 ply anymore lol ... they are just rated as 10 ply from what I understand ... So E rated is just the equivalent of 10 ply tires ... I honestly don't think many E rated tires are actually 10 ply anymore ...

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I love my E rated 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers ... the harsh ride for me is nothing, I am used to driving commercial vehicles, vans and am pretty used to it ... key is having those rear tires air down as far as you can possibly have them without them wearing down unevenly and it's very easy to do ...

My rear tires are at 35 psi and fronts are now at 40 psi since it's a bit colder ...

One other thing ... E rated 10 ply are really not 10 ply anymore lol ... they are just rated as 10 ply from what I understand ... So E rated is just the equivalent of 10 ply tires ... I honestly don't think many E rated tires are actually 10 ply anymore ...
I agree with 10 ply are no longer 10 ply but 10 ply Rated, I was shocked years ago when I went to buy 10 ply E-rated tires for one of my trucks, I was unhappy because all I could find was a 3 ply sidewall with 4 ply tread E-rated :eek:, the tire guy told me the cords they use were stronger then in the old days, I told him I would rather have the 10 full ply not A so called E-rated tires, sad to say have not found true 10 ply, but also have not looked in a long time...

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What load range is a 10 ply trailer tire?

ANd9GcRCGXa9ZAZPJ8_VpFxTm0QqD0fESbE4jSmx-poktM1Z&s.png

Load Range E

Are All 10 Ply Tires Load Range E? Yes, all load range E tires are 10 ply. This is because load range is determined by the number of plies the tire's construction has. Therefore, load range E means that the tire sports a 10-ply structure, which corresponds with its load durability.

The BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 is a 10-ply beauty that got its fame from the silver screen (cue Jurassic Park theme song). It’s an all-terrain tire that means business and impresses everyone, hence its inclusion as the rugged tires of those iconic Jurassic Park Jeeps

As you would expect from an off-road tread design, it features an aggressive tread pattern and rugged shoulder blocks. With its 10-ply/E-load rating, you get a higher load carrying capacity for all your gear and mods with plenty of moxie for the rough stuff off the trail.

This BFGoodrich 10-ply tire can also double up to be used to haul a trailer or payload in off-road or muddy conditions without losing the grip you need when the going gets tough.

If you need a higher load carrying capacity to pair with off-road performance, this 10-ply tire should be at the top of your wish list.

Are you on a budget? If you’re a value minded driver who needs to get the most without shelling out a fortune, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W is a 10-ply all-terrain tire for you.

The Wildpeak AT3W features versatile performance (both on and off-road) due to its rugged all-terrain tread pattern that’s fitted onto a Load Range E body for carrying, towing, hauling or whatever else you might need your light truck or SUV to do.

This tire is optimized to carry a load without struggle. It features heat diffusers in the sidewall, reducing heat build up in the tire to help avoid tire failure while towing—especially important on the highway.

Even better, this Falken 10-ply tire is backed by a 55,000-mile limited treadwear warranty, giving you peace of mind that your towing and all-terrain performance will last, mile after mile.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
What load range is a 10 ply trailer tire?

View attachment 506917

Load Range E

Are All 10 Ply Tires Load Range E? Yes, all load range E tires are 10 ply. This is because load range is determined by the number of plies the tire's construction has. Therefore, load range E means that the tire sports a 10-ply structure, which corresponds with its load durability.

The BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 is a 10-ply beauty that got its fame from the silver screen (cue Jurassic Park theme song). It’s an all-terrain tire that means business and impresses everyone, hence its inclusion as the rugged tires of those iconic Jurassic Park Jeeps

As you would expect from an off-road tread design, it features an aggressive tread pattern and rugged shoulder blocks. With its 10-ply/E-load rating, you get a higher load carrying capacity for all your gear and mods with plenty of moxie for the rough stuff off the trail.

This BFGoodrich 10-ply tire can also double up to be used to haul a trailer or payload in off-road or muddy conditions without losing the grip you need when the going gets tough.

If you need a higher load carrying capacity to pair with off-road performance, this 10-ply tire should be at the top of your wish list.

Are you on a budget? If you’re a value minded driver who needs to get the most without shelling out a fortune, the Falken Wildpeak AT3W is a 10-ply all-terrain tire for you.

The Wildpeak AT3W features versatile performance (both on and off-road) due to its rugged all-terrain tread pattern that’s fitted onto a Load Range E body for carrying, towing, hauling or whatever else you might need your light truck or SUV to do.

This tire is optimized to carry a load without struggle. It features heat diffusers in the sidewall, reducing heat build up in the tire to help avoid tire failure while towing—especially important on the highway.

Even better, this Falken 10-ply tire is backed by a 55,000-mile limited treadwear warranty, giving you peace of mind that your towing and all-terrain performance will last, mile after mile.
There is no more real 10 ply tires ... stop it ! lol .... They are all 10 ply rating which is E .... don't know where you got your info from but you are wrong ....

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I will be near Discount tires in a few days looking at tires for wife's car, I will ask them about what I have read here, like I said all I know is what the sales person told me about 10 ply E rated tires about 12 years ago...