E Rated Tires and TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 Big Horn 1500 CC 4X4 with the 3:92 rear end. I tow a pretty good sized boat and a travel trailer on a regular basis. I am looking to replace the squirmy stock tires with an E rated tire better suited to my needs. The only E rated tire I can find in the stock 275/60/20 size locally is the Nitto Dura Grappler. Does anyone have any experience or input on these? Will the stock TPMS work since we are going up to 80 psi with these tires? I have looked at moving up to a 305/55/20 tire size where there are more choices, but the tires are much more expensive. Any input is appreciated!

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TPMS will work fine. Maybe try 275 65 20's. They are a little taller but there are many more options for you in "E".

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Load range D tires wouldn't be a bad option either. I run 55psi in my tires at all times and the tpms has never threw any lights or anything.

Pitch1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have no reason to by E-rated tires for a 1500. Your truck cannot take advantage of their capabilities. Buy some C or D. Your dealer won't have them in the store, but any decent shop can get them the next day if you order in the morning.
If you are stuck on E's the manufacturer should have a inflation chart that will give you the air pressure to weight rating. There is no reason to run an E at 80# unless you need full rating.

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why 80 psi? Look on the inside of your door frame and go by those numbers for the stock Tire size. I have class Es on my 1500 but they're 245/75/16. Gen 2 Ram.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You have no reason to by E-rated tires for a 1500. Your truck cannot take advantage of their capabilities. Buy some C or D. Your dealer won't have them in the store, but any decent shop can get them the next day if you order in the morning.
If you are stuck on E's the manufacturer should have a inflation chart that will give you the air pressure to weight rating. There is no reason to run an E at 80# unless you need full rating.

I would say load range D at the minimum if you plan on towing anything with any weight. The extra weight isn't going to hurt anything except a little rougher ride and marginally lower fuel economy but not by much.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
t

Your rims aren't rated to hold 80 psi; DON'T DO IT.
I am also upgrading from the 'P' rated to a 'C' LT tire; the General Grabber HTS. Cooper also make a nice C rated LT tire.
I have been told second-hand that the stock 20" rims will hold up t 65psi, but I don't want to be the onle to find out so I will stick with 'C' which max at 50psi. I'm confident it will firm up up squirrely towing.

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can see there is a big misconception about tires, classes, and proper inflation. Just because a tire will hold 80 psi doesn't mean that's where you should run it.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run 44 psi in my D's for normal driving. Around 55 when towing and around 30 when off road. I'd have E's but they don't have them in my size for the tire I like. E's are great for off road because of the heavier side wall. Even if you don't need 80 psi E's are still great to have.

OP
OP
S

scott1k

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. I should have stated my question better. I don't intend to run them at 80 psi. My question was whether the TPMS would perceive over inflation (over stock tires) and throw a warning. I've had a couple of vehicles in the past that would do this.

In the summer months I tow a boat that weighs around 6k and a travel trailer that is 8k+. In the winter I tow a 4 place snowmobile trailer. The stock tires really seem to squirm around. I've run E rated tires in the past on half ton trucks and was always happy with the more planted feel they provide when towing. I know there are trade offs with ride quality but I tow enough weekends to justify it. I just don't tow enough to justify a 3/4 ton that won't fit in the parking ramp at work.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TPMS will work fine with your E's. Don't worry about it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat