e-Torque opinions and can it be disabled?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad, a huge GMC/Chevy guy fell in love with a Ram Longhorn Southfork (?whatever that is) at an auto show over the weekend. I have a pretty similar 21 Laramie and he likes it well enough, but I guess this one just really caught his eye and he tried to buy it. Turns out it is owned by a local dealer and it will be for sale after the show. Only thing it has that he would not want is the e-Torque. I don't have e-torque, I just imagine it's one more thing to worry about, one more battery, computer issue, etc. It's not as new now as when I had mine built.
So what are the opinions of e torque now? And probably as importantly, I know you can turn it off with each drive, but is there a way to disable the stop-start more permanently, perhaps an aftermarket device that will disable it for you instead of having to remember to turn it off on every start up ?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think this is what you're looking for. I had one and it worked great...

To be clear, it doesn't turn off etorque, it only disables stop/start. All other features of etorque still function.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
The etorque is 8 year 80k mile warranty. It is fine. I have it in my wrangler and it is fine.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
E-torque integrated into all systems. YOU cannot turn off E-torque, everything electrical revolves around the integrated system. You can turn off Stop/Start every time U operate if you have the option installed, not want to say it is there, I believe there is a switch to turn them off on all the trucks, but to be honest, I have never even ridden in an E-torque RAM.

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and e-torque. The link below is an interview with one of the eTorque engineers who simplifies the explanation about eTorque and six things it does while driving a vehicle equipped with it. It is a straight-forward, well presented and worth watching the video:
https://youtu.be/Nwnw452p2ZA

Secondly, having had battery issues with previous vehicles equipped with all of the electronic add-ons where something is always pulling a charge from the 12V battery, if my truck is not being driven for 3 days or more, I simply keep the battery connected to a Battery Tender to maintain a full charge. Peace of mind.

OP
OP
J

Jm91rs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the biggest issue is the stop start. I hate it, he hates. No reason why, just don't like it and figure if he's spending $80k on a truck it should be as close to what he likes as possible. The Autostop eliminator may be the answer. Thanks!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think the biggest issue is the stop start. I hate it, he hates. No reason why, just don't like it and figure if he's spending $80k on a truck it should be as close to what he likes as possible. The Autostop eliminator may be the answer. Thanks!
You're welcome :waytogo:

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
I have had my truck a little over 2 months now. It has eTorque. I was all against the start/stop function, but it is so barely noticeable, that I never bypass it by pushing the button. I found too that if you use tow/haul, it doesn’t shut down when stopped.
If he gets that truck, maybe give it a chance, and if it stills bothers him, then buy the ‘eliminator”
They work good as I have that installed in a 2018 Grand Cherokee that my wife owns. She never liked the start/stop and would push the button everytime she drove it.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I was in the same boat. I did not want e-torque either, so I traded my
2020 Bighorn 5.7 for a 2022 Laramie 5.7 last fall without.
All of the 23 5.7 Hemi's have etorque, the 2022 has both kinds. No start-stop with the reg 5.7 either.
There are 22's out there, start searching, you may find a nice discount also.

Notamastertech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
I love the start/stop feature of etorque simply for the fact that the engine isn't starving for oil from low oil pressure at idle. I know lack of lubrication is an issue, so if the truck doesn't idle, I don't have to worry about this particular issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I love the start/stop feature of etorque simply for the fact that the engine isn't starving for oil from low oil pressure at idle. I know lack of lubrication is an issue, so if the truck doesn't idle, I don't have to worry about this particular issue.
The most wear occurs when you start the truck,so i think you're not quite grasping what happens every time the truck shuts itself off,then restarts.Not only that,the starter takes a $h!t kicking if you're in traffic,and the truck is shutting itself off every block or 2 and then restarting

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque

Notabrainsurgeon...........

DS01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my 2022 Ram 1500 a few weeks ago. I test drove an etorque ram. Honestly, I thought it seemed to work well. Did a number of stop starts and never felt that it was delayed starting off.

I don’t think, I would have passed on a truck just because it had etorque. However I did end up with a 2022 1500 Limited with a standard 5.7.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
The most wear occurs when you start the truck,so i think you're not quite grasping what happens every time the truck shuts itself off,then restarts.Not only that,the starter takes a $h!t kicking if you're in traffic,and the truck is shutting itself off every block or 2 and then restarting
Don’t disagree that the startup is the hardest in an engine, however, with the eTorque system the starter is not doing the work. The starter only engages when you press the start button.

The generator/starter does the heavy lifting during the stop/start function by pulling from the 24v battery pack, spinning the crankshaft via the serpentine belt. It also engages, also using the 24v battery pack, to apply extra torque when the engine is under heavy load. It assists with braking by switching to generative braking mode to help slow the engine down when braking under load.

I didn’t want one but ended up with one. It’s not without its annoyances and issues but, wearing out the starter isn’t one of them

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
EDIT: It’s a 48v battery pack.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
LOL gotta love the perceptions floating around this place. Idling will kill a Hemi. Not idling will kill it too.

Apparently the only solution is crank it up and run at high speed nonstop.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Oil starvation is still present at each restart.
It’s true the oil pressure drops to 0 when stopped but the average stop in traffic is less than 2 minutes, so… it’s not like it’s a dry start.

If I’m going to be stopped for an extended time, I’ve found that, after stopping, easing off the brake pedal just a tad, not enough to let the truck roll, will restart the engine and it’ll continue running as long as you’re stopped. If you move forward the equivalent of a full tire roll, the start/stop is reactivated.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If I’m going to be stopped for an extended time, I’ve found that, after stopping, easing off the brake pedal just a tad, not enough to let the truck roll, will restart the engine and it’ll continue running as long as you’re stopped. If you move forward the equivalent of a full tire roll, the start/stop is reactivated.
Or you could push the button to turn it off instead of fiddling with the brake pedal.;)