E Torque payoff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
soapy

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
All auto makers would like to go to a 48 volt system due to the weight savings of being able to run smaller wire. 48 volts is said to be the highest voltage they can go without causing damage to the human body.

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My understanding is that eTorque will also help to minimize downshifts when going up an incline. Any truth to that?

warv3t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are a few videos for those interested. For me, I've had start/stop on German cars. My wife has it on her MB, now. We both hate it and end up disabling it. That's why I opted against etorque. But for you guys who have it, you may enjoy having it and enjoy the few mpg increase. The other thing I didn't like was not having that torque when I hit the gas to pass at 55mph or higher. For me, that's what I would prefer but I can see why others want that power down low, especially for towing.

OP
OP
soapy

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I see on the ram build section they have raised the price of the Etorque another $650 over the standard 5.7 so that will raise the break even point by at least another 30,000 miles to around 86,000 miles.

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would think the only time you would 'see' the benefit in acceleration would be when heavily loaded....it should take off quicker then compared to a pure gas engine truck without it.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
LOL mileage calculations, I do not care the in least of the MPG gain, its that 130 torque off the line!

That torque is worthless if towing a heavy trailer up a long grade and if not towing then the extra torque is only a number with no relevance. Same problem with the Ford V6 engines with their turbo chargers. On a long grade when pulling a trailer the turbo overheats and then the engine does a complete shutdown.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
That torque is worthless if towing a heavy trailer up a long grade and if not towing then the extra torque is only a number with no relevance. Same problem with the Ford V6 engines with their turbo chargers. On a long grade when pulling a trailer the turbo overheats and then the engine does a complete shutdown.

I towed a 24' enclosed car trailer from Florida to Michigan and back about 8 times in 2 years with my 2016 F150 King Ranch 3.5l Ecoboost. Not once did I ever encounter overheat issues. It towed the trailer pretty decent in the Blue Ridge and Appalachians. Better than 2012 Ram hemi. Neither not nearly as good as my 2014 Ram 2500. I'm certain the additional torque will help the truck quite a bit towing. I'll be making a couple Michigan trips in the spring with the eTorque. I could do a couple of local Florida tows prior but that's easy stuff

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I’ve yet to see or hear an ecoboost fail on a tow? Im a manager at a ford dealer in Tampa and we get nothing but praises?

I’m sure it’s happened but it’s rare out of the millions of 3.5 ecoboost out there

mxsnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 BR V10,2005 DR Hemi,2015 DS Outdoorsman Hemi,2019 Bighorn Hemi.
Engine
hemi 5.7
How much will the motor/generator cost to replace,that's the question?