E51 or better

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
With Az having **** 91 octane I've stumbled upon a flex fuel station that says it's E51 or better. I hit up Jay about getting a tune to take advantage of this fuel on my Diablo i3.

The stock fuel system has enough in it to run E51 with bolt-ons. I'm told if its E85 I'll need to look into upgrades.

Curious to see if any of you besides Matt are running corn fuel. This stuff is amazing and cheap. E51 carries an octane rating of about 100.

I've just about emptied the 91 out of the truck. I'm pumped to try out this new E51 tune.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't think the 5.7 was good for anything but 10% or less alcohol.

Never heard of E51, just the crappy 10% stuff an E85. When I had my 4.7 Flex Fuel, the E85 dropped MPG so far it wasn't worth the price difference.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will likely need a fuel pump and injectors to run that high of an ethanol blend. A sensor as well a tune for it. Ive had a few cars in the past that I converted to run E85, well I didnt convert crap, I bought the hardware and tuner to allow my car do it. Every instance required a pump, sensor, and very good tune at the minimum.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
@Hemi450hp

Hey Matt,
Would you like to give us guys that are interested in an E85 conversion the rundown on all the parts needed? :Big Laugh:

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
You will likely need a fuel pump and injectors to run that high of an ethanol blend. A sensor as well a tune for it. Ive had a few cars in the past that I converted to run E85, well I didnt convert crap, I bought the hardware and tuner to allow my car do it. Every instance required a pump, sensor, and very good tune at the minimum.

I thought the same but my tuner assured me with bolt-ons and E51 I'll have enough injector and pump.

I haven't ventured into running a fuel sensor yet but it's a good idea and I'll have been researching it.

I have my E51 tune in the i3 ready to go just waiting for the pump gas to completely empty the system before I load it.

I'll link you guys to some of websites I found explaining the various levels of ethanol and how the vehicles react but two of my favorite things so far are E51 significantly cools the air intake charge down as its vaporized in the engine and two it has a much higher octane rating along with the E51 tune will make more power

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought the same but my tuner assured me with bolt-ons and E51 I'll have enough injector and pump.

I haven't ventured into running a fuel sensor yet but it's a good idea and I'll have been researching it.

I have my E51 tune in the i3 ready to go just waiting for the pump gas to completely empty the system before I load it.

I'll link you guys to some of websites I found explaining the various levels of ethanol and how the vehicles react but two of my favorite things so far are E51 significantly cools the air intake charge down as its vaporized in the engine and two it has a much higher octane rating along with the E51 tune will make more power

Cooling is one of the many benefits but that’s mostly beneficial on forced induction. All the cars I’ve done straight e85 were turbo and mane what a difference.

Don’t over look the fuel economy drop

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Cooling is one of the many benefits but that’s mostly beneficial on forced induction. All the cars I’ve done straight e85 were turbo and mane what a difference.

Don’t over look the fuel economy drop

I didn't. I'm seeing about a 1 to 1.5 mpg drop but E51 is 2.79 a gallon vs 3.60 for 91 by me. I'll take the extra HP.

I can always switch the tunes around again to 91 of I need to

GhostCost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NA
I didn't think the 5.7 was good for anything but 10% or less alcohol.

Never heard of E51, just the crappy 10% stuff an E85. When I had my 4.7 Flex Fuel, the E85 dropped MPG so far it wasn't worth the price difference.

^^^^^ This, plus the hydroscopic "Gummy bears" that form in the tank/injectors. Yeah, I'll pass on anything with "E" in front of it.
Sounds like you'll eat it up though! Enjoy!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't. I'm seeing about a 1 to 1.5 mpg drop but E51 is 2.79 a gallon vs 3.60 for 91 by me. I'll take the extra HP.

I can always switch the tunes around again to 91 of I need to

A good tune will include usage of an ethanol sensor and be able to adjust based on whats in tank. I was able to run 87, 93 a mix of e85 or anything in the middle. The tune would use the sensor to make the adjustments on the fly, no input needed.

Me on a Ram, unless I was running F/I I wouldnt be running anything over e15

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
You have a stock fuel pump? I see no way that is safe.

All these pumps are made for gasoline.

I had to buy an ethanol compatible fuel pump for my turbo car.

For turbo cars. E85 > any pump gas... any day of the week

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Plenty of guys are running an E50 mix, but I dont think its worth the time or effort on a bolt on 4th gen truck. I went from 715hp to 809hp by switching from 93 w/ water/**** to E85, but boosted applications benefit much more from the ethanol.

Having said all that, you can get away with the stock pump and injectors if running an E50 mix. If you did a full E85 swap, then you would need a new pump and injectors. I also run an ethanol content gauge to verify that my fuel quality is consistent. My local station has been running closer to E80-81, so I mix in as much E98 as needed to keep my fuel quality right at E84-E85.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm...on a stock truck, if you're running 91 octane now, I wouldn't expect any power increase from running "higher" octane E51. Octane is for anti-knock, if you're not having a knocking issue now, then adding higher octane won't make any more power.

If you've got some mods, that's a different thing - then maybe it'll help

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Hmmm...on a stock truck, if you're running 91 octane now, I wouldn't expect any power increase from running "higher" octane E51. Octane is for anti-knock, if you're not having a knocking issue now, then adding higher octane won't make any more power.

If you've got some mods, that's a different thing - then maybe it'll help
Ethanol has a higher resistance to knock. Correct. Its equal to something like 105 octane.

But this enables you to run more timing advance on the engine

OP
OP
RedSRT4Me

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Ethanol has a higher resistance to knock. Correct. Its equal to something like 105 octane.

But this enables you to run more timing advance on the engine

Yup. The tune is ready to load for E51 :D