Early 2009 Ram 1500 Non-locking Tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisjohn09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys,

So i bought a 2009 ram 1500 laramie about 2 months ago...love it! except for the fact that I cant lock my tailgate as I plan to get a leer cap in the next few months or so. I spoke to a few dealers and mechanics and pretty much figured out the early 2009 rams didnt come with locking tailgates and didnt start production on them until later that year. So after doing research...a **** load of googling...I came across the parts to what I believe will make it exactly like as if it came that way from the factory. I am waiting on one more delivery which I expect sat morning and will hopefully have a video up to show you how and what to do by the end of the weekend. I will def include parts numbers and pictures if its a success lol. The whole concept is to install an oem manual lock with all the sub parts that go along with it (8 I believe) the tailgate handle with the hole for the lock and the locking mechanism inside the tailgate. I know they make after market locks but they look like **** and for the amount of money I paid for this truck I want it to be as close to OEM as I can. Once I know for sure I can get the manual lock to work I will then buy the kit to install on the mechanism so I will be able to lock/unlock with my keyfob. Im feeling pretty confident everythings gonna work but if theres any other early 09 ram owners that are in this pickle jar comment and hopefully I can help you out.

Keep ya posted.
Chris

OP
OP
C

chrisjohn09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Success!!

Hey guys,

So I finally got everything to work out with my lock and tailgate. Im extremely happy on how it turned out and I hope you guys find this helpful.

Heres my how to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-uwQu5ao1s

any questions comment below

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Chris, interesting. my 2009 laramie was made at the end of november 2008. it has a manual locking tailgate latch...

johndoe123123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 2009 ram SLT big horn has no locking tailgate (manual or auto).

OP
OP
C

chrisjohn09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...yea thats interesting Dodge has pretty much called July through June a Model year. Like the 09 Ram was built starting in July 2008 through June of 2009 or something like that but thats strange how some came and some didn't

statefan21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am having this problem now. I bought the pop n lock auto lock kit but I was trying to figure out which wires to splice into. No manual lock on it at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

chrisjohn09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Statefan21 Are you trying to install the PL8350?

I havent had any experience with the pop and lock. Im eventually going to add the remote locking acuator to my tailgate but Im gonna buy the mopar kit...Im sure if you google it you will find the electrical schematic and find out what wires to splice to. Silly question...the kit didnt come with instructions??

statefan21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am going to try and install the PL8340.. Since the 8350 has to have the manual lock already. The lock should be here today. Then I just gotta wait for the rain to stop so I can install. The instructions say Tan/Green but there is no Tan in the kick panel.. Other instructions I've found say possibly Pink. So I'm just going to use my volt meter to figure out which is which

OP
OP
C

chrisjohn09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea thats pretty annoying. Once I get my kit and install it Ill post a video hopefully the wiring part isnt a big pain def dont feel like tapping into multiple sets of wires to find out they werent the right ones

scarrz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea thats pretty annoying. Once I get my kit and install it Ill post a video hopefully the wiring part isnt a big pain def dont feel like tapping into multiple sets of wires to find out they werent the right ones

Sent a PM Chris. Quick question about the lock install.

Netman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Chrysler makes an OEM kit - 82211668AB - that I had installed when I bought my 2010. It requires remote keyless entry and an existing manual locking tailgate to install it.

Works the same as all the new trucks and locks with the fob (on second push, if you haven't changed that in the EVIC) as it feeds from the passenger door lock circuit in the TIPM.

Chrisanthny8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
Hey guys,

So i bought a 2009 ram 1500 laramie about 2 months ago...love it! except for the fact that I cant lock my tailgate as I plan to get a leer cap in the next few months or so. I spoke to a few dealers and mechanics and pretty much figured out the early 2009 rams didnt come with locking tailgates and didnt start production on them until later that year. So after doing research...a **** load of googling...I came across the parts to what I believe will make it exactly like as if it came that way from the factory. I am waiting on one more delivery which I expect sat morning and will hopefully have a video up to show you how and what to do by the end of the weekend. I will def include parts numbers and pictures if its a success lol. The whole concept is to install an oem manual lock with all the sub parts that go along with it (8 I believe) the tailgate handle with the hole for the lock and the locking mechanism inside the tailgate. I know they make after market locks but they look like **** and for the amount of money I paid for this truck I want it to be as close to OEM as I can. Once I know for sure I can get the manual lock to work I will then buy the kit to install on the mechanism so I will be able to lock/unlock with my keyfob. Im feeling pretty confident everythings gonna work but if theres any other early 09 ram owners that are in this pickle jar comment and hopefully I can help you out.

Keep ya posted.
Chris

Do you by any chance still have the video of installation and part numbers? I’m in the same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildWeasel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,

Keep ya posted.
Chris
Hey Chris,

Can you share the details with me? I have an early 2009 1500 and need to lock my tailgate.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I bought my 2009 in January 2009

Everything that was done to my 2009 was the first the dealership had seen, the Parts Dept, a Service Writer & a mechanic were all working on it

I dug up what i could find about then
Had the poor parts guy going nuts looking for parts #s

Last edited: