Easy interior wire to tap into that's powered only with lights on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm adding some ambient footwell lights to my 2015 Bighorn Quad Cab.

I can run a wire through the firewall into the trailer parking light fuse or something but would rather just tap into something in the interior.

I know this circuit is everywhere, these wires power the little LEDs that light up the switches and stuff.

Anyone know an easy spot to do this? If not I might just pick a harness, unplug it and start testing for power with the lights on.

I tried finding a .pdf for the mopar ambient light kit to see where that plugs into, but I think it just connects behind the 12V outlet and uses a switch, so not really what I'm looking for.

I'll have wires going to both front footwell areas and probably under each front seat also.

Thanks

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should have the plugs for the footwell lighting even if you don't currently have it. Look in the DIY section, I believe there is a write up on it.

OP
OP
cory733

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should have the plugs for the footwell lighting even if you don't currently have it. Look in the DIY section, I believe there is a write up on it.

I have footwell lighting already, what I'm doing is adding some ambient lighting that comes on at night with everything else off

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have footwell lighting already, what I'm doing is adding some ambient lighting that comes on at night with everything else off

Oh, you want it on all the time when you have your headlights on at night.

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tie them into a light in the centre console. That way they will dim with the switch with all of the other lighting.

OP
OP
cory733

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tie them into a light in the centre console. That way they will dim with the switch with all of the other lighting.

That's what I want to do. Are the wires color coded? Anyone know the wire that I would need?

Blackdodge2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's what I want to do. Are the wires color coded? Anyone know the wire that I would need?

A simple test light would tell you which wire you want for you power. I dont know off of the top of my head. I have the same lights in my truck. I originally had them hooked up as you intend to do, however it wasnt long before I regretted not having the ability to shut them off when I wanted. So I installed a 3 switch holder in my truck and ran all my lighting to that instead. one switch for my interior led vanity lights, one for my box lighting, and one for the underglow on the truck.bs 33.jpeg

OP
OP
cory733

cory733

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A simple test light would tell you which wire you want for you power. I dont know off of the top of my head. I have the same lights in my truck. I originally had them hooked up as you intend to do, however it wasnt long before I regretted not having the ability to shut them off when I wanted. So I installed a 3 switch holder in my truck and ran all my lighting to that instead. one switch for my interior led vanity lights, one for my box lighting, and one for the underglow on the truck.View attachment 140926

I had no idea which wire to use so I just tapped into the trailer parking light fuse. I pulled the dash piece surrounding the raidio off and couldn't figure it out. The wires are definitely not color coded in a way that all the lighting wires for the buttons are all the same. Works fine since the LEDs I used are very dim anyway. The picture makes them look much brighter than they really are.

20180923_192652.jpg