Eaton Truetrac ZF 9-1/4”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Moe’s kit came in the mail, planning on installing next weekend but haven’t heard of any success stories yet. If nobody has instruction/video i can set up some footage.

Presuming it’s a simple plug and play once I back off the driver side adjuster a few turns after measuring backlash to match slop and confirm ring gear-pinion contact.

Already made a custom preload tool(~75ft#), just need to tap on the carrier bearings.

0C7327E0-4141-4F43-86BC-4A670B3D0030.jpeg

29FD4E53-F7C3-4EAA-A88F-0230AA9313E1.jpeg

Last edited:

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not brave enough to do it myself.

I have an appointment for dec 8th.
My installer didnt seem like it will be an issue. Well except one screw not being fully seated.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Daw, which transmission do you have? 6, right?

What Gears did you have before the swap? I'll bet you're going to like those 4.56s.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes 6, had 355s

Solid State

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked my truck up on Wednesday, tru-trac and 456 gears installed. In the process of breaking in. Everything feels good, no noise, I have the 6 speed. The waiting is tough!
2wd or 4x4? Which brand gears did you go with, and ballpark for install, if you don't mind me asking? Wanting to do same with my 2011 6 spd. Thanks!

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moe’s kit came in the mail, planning on installing next weekend but haven’t heard of any success stories yet. If nobody has instruction/video i can set up some footage.

Presuming it’s a simple plug and play once I back off the driver side adjuster a few turns after measuring backlash to match slop and confirm ring gear-pinion contact.

Already made a custom preload tool(~75ft#), just need to tap on the carrier bearings.

View attachment 228715

View attachment 228714

Cool. Why this brand vs others or OEM?

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Helical/torsen are more aggressive in torque transfer ratio and instantaneous when one side begins slip. No wear maintenance like a clutch-based OEM anti-slip or friction additive necessary, just straight 75-80w90 non-synthetic and will outlast the vehicle barring catastrophic failure. The downfall vs a true locker is that if one tire is completely off ground the mechanical transition needs user/electronic TC brake input.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/en...differential-and-whats-most-suitable-for-you/

My current 3.92 ring carrier is open, so most of the time I want the rear end to oversteer it becomes an inside tire loss of traction. Using 4wd with a rear posi will create less opportunity for heat/wear in the 44-44 transfer case.

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Helical/torsen are more aggressive in torque transfer ratio and instantaneous when one side begins slip. No wear maintenance like a clutch-based OEM anti-slip or friction additive necessary, just straight 75-80w90 non-synthetic and will outlast the vehicle barring catastrophic failure. The downfall vs a true locker is that if one tire is completely off ground the mechanical transition needs user/electronic TC brake input.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/en...differential-and-whats-most-suitable-for-you/

My current 3.92 ring carrier is open, so most of the time I want the rear end to oversteer it becomes an inside tire loss of traction. Using 4wd with a rear posi will create less opportunity for heat/wear in the 44-44 transfer case.

Had the TTs front and rear of the Jeeps and they were fantastic!!!! When warranty runs out, going to see if I can get one for the truck.

Eaton & Detroit are interchangable
upload_2020-11-29_16-30-24.png

Finding off-the-shelf gear oil without AF additive here is impossible. This is the stuff the 4x4 shop that installed the TTs put in. If the gear oil says something to the effect of "good for all rearends" or "AF additive not needed" then look on.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-brands-all-purpose-gear-lube-gl-5-80w-90-1qt

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@vehicle/documents/content/pct_1087652.pdf

When I had a slippage, 1 or 2 clicks on the parking brake was all it took to get it to re-engage. Just gotta remember to take the break off when not needed haha.

not mine

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Had the TTs front and rear of the Jeeps and they were fantastic!!!! When warranty runs out, going to see if I can get one for the truck.

Eaton & Detroit are interchangable
View attachment 228891

Finding off-the-shelf gear oil without AF additive here is impossible. This is the stuff the 4x4 shop that installed the TTs put in. If the gear oil says something to the effect of "good for all rearends" or "AF additive not needed" then look on.
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-brands-all-purpose-gear-lube-gl-5-80w-90-1qt

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@vehicle/documents/content/pct_1087652.pdf

When I had a slippage, 1 or 2 clicks on the parking brake was all it took to get it to re-engage. Just gotta remember to take the break off when not needed haha.

not mine

Damn it's easy to find mineral gear oil up here north of the border,and it's cheap,lol.

MotoMaster Extreme Pressure Gear Oil, 5-L Canadian Tire

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I don’t plan on finding out, always leave it disabled.

It electronically should only activate when both rear tires are spinning above a PCM limited delta speed compared to the front tires. Or when one side is completely frictionless...

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I ran out of time to use the hydraulic press at the office. Room temp there was about .008” of press fit so I needed a little help.

this is “old school” ahah

I was probably about 6 or 7 when i remember my dad replacing the bearings on our old PTO driven combine in the field.He used a 20lb propane bottle to cool the pto shaft,and an old charcoil BBQ with a bucket of oil on the grill to heat the bearings,and they slid right on,lol.That's going back over 50 years now,lol