Eco Boost Turbo Lag

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You can also fix the turbo lag by left footing the break and revving the engine to about 3000 rpm and then letting her rip. (Only partly joking... sort of)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieselMike29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
A "turbo" has lag - PERIOD! It is not a flaw; it IS physics. There is nothing you can do about it - the amount of exhaust exiting the engine determines the amount of boost (Yes, yes, the DESIGN of the turbocharger makes a difference, but you can't change the design of your turbocharger every time you put your foot on the pedal)

To reduce the amount of lag time you can do one of two things (both cost exactly the same amount - although it could be argued that the second costs slightly less) First, like DONUTSAHOY suggests, keep the amount of engine exhaust at a higher level than would be normally expected at full stop. Or, second, as I was taught, on
ANY "turbo"ed Diesel, put your foot to the floor and let up when you get to the speed you want to be going. (Essentially, you are doing what any of the mechanical/electronic addons are doing - increasing the amount of exhaust to the turbo so the turbo increases its output to the engine. Thus, no lag.)

OP
OP
D F GA RAM

D F GA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Well this problem has worsened to the point where it hasn't been accelerating the first couple of seconds. Truck is at the dealer now. The guy who works there (guy at desk, not mechanic) is telling me the K&N filter I have in it is causing the issues because it is oily. Apparently it has damaged some air flow sensor. Also, he's telling me I need to change the fuel filter. I just did this at 18K miles. The truck has 30K miles on it now. Also saying I need to do a REGEN? Whatever that is. Also saying I need to clean fuel injectors. Truck is a 2016 with 30K miles, hardly ever been in 4x4. What I am missing here? Seems like a lot of stuff i need to pay for and none of it seems to be covered under warranty

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well this problem has worsened to the point where it hasn't been accelerating the first couple of seconds. Truck is at the dealer now. The guy who works there (guy at desk, not mechanic) is telling me the K&N filter I have in it is causing the issues because it is oily. Apparently it has damaged some air flow sensor. Also, he's telling me I need to change the fuel filter. I just did this at 18K miles. The truck has 30K miles on it now. Also saying I need to do a REGEN? Whatever that is. Also saying I need to clean fuel injectors. Truck is a 2016 with 30K miles, hardly ever been in 4x4. What I am missing here? Seems like a lot of stuff i need to pay for and none of it seems to be covered under warranty
That is a load of **** if they are telling you the drop-in filter damaged anything. I've ran oiled filters for years and have never had an issue with any of them.

https://www.knfilters.com/maf/massairfindings.htm

https://www.knfilters.com/instructions/89-11835-1_inst.pdf

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Ahh yes, the hidden costs of maintaining a diesel everyone seems to overlook and the salesmen always forget to mention. Trade it in for a gas truck while your pocketbook is open there.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like you have a mechanic that's trying to sell you every possible maintenance item under the sun.

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
Is the turbo lag worse that the normal 1.48 sec? (Stock ECU set turbo lag)

Anything changed?
Things that can cause smaller diesel issues, and lower power-(more noticeable on small engines but bigger trucks see it too)
Dirty filters, (Fuel, Air, oil Etc)
Water in your fuel (increases stuff growing in the fuel)
Stale or lower grade fuel, (biocide, as several bacterial eat the stuff in the fuel, algae growth in tank, etc, PowerService, or other Cetane booster can help too)

Things I learned-
Buy premium Diesel where you can, worth the 10-20c more a gallon,
Buy diesel at stations with a higher turnover (near highways, less likely to get stale or bunk fuel)
Do not buy if truck is filling tank or for 6 hours after (if you can avoid it, it stirs up all the silt and stuff in the tank that needs to resettle)

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I've had mine for a long time now. No regrets

FCAEMPLOYEE

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
SFT can solve this issue through tuning. Buddy got their tune and WHALA !!! Don't listen to the nay sayers.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I love my SFT tune. It was stated earlier that turbo lag existed and there was nothing that can be done about it, not true, turbo impellers have been modified to improve their geometry for years, the variable venturi turbos spool very quickly, yes there's some lag, & there are numerous ways to help it. It was also stated that oiled air filters can cause problems, and someone else called baloney on it, but his sig line indicated a Hemi. There's a lot of difference there, theturbo engine is going to draw a vacuum on the cold side of the charger, that vacuum MAY suck oil out of the filter & foul what people are calling the map/maf sensor. I've thought I might like to put a supercharger on one of these little motors.
I've worked on engines that took 2 banks of 7 filters each, the end size of the filters was about 5 ft x 5 ft, filters were pleadted paper & around 48 inches long, the compartment was fed by prefilters, when those prefilters were getting plugged you could not safely open the doors into the filter room because the vacuum was so significant.

Last edited:

Iceclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I agree with the mechanic. After many attempts to use K&N filters on various machines, I have learned they are a complete waste of money and counter productive. If you want to address pedal lag (it's not just turbo) then you have a couple choices. Pedal or tune. The cheapest thing is pedal. There are multiple choices but the pedal commander is the most common. Plus they give a nice veteran's discount, so they deserve my business and will get it.

bill-e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3l EcoDiesel 3rd Gen
A Gen 3 can solve the issue as well ;) Lag is mostly gone.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
A Gen 3 can solve the issue as well ;) Lag is mostly gone.

Truth hurts. I am running the GDE tune on my 2018 so no lag but boy I miss my 2019 and all the goodies of the 5th Gen. Thinking about getting a 2021 Eco here in the fall if they order one the way I like it.