Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

ECO Diesel and K&N Filter - Was told by dealer to not use one

Discussion in 'Dodge Ram Eco Diesels' started by D F GA RAM, Jul 22, 2019.

1. D F GA RAM

D F GA RAM Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    So I have been having some acceleration issues with my 16' ecodiesel. The RAM mechanic (who the dealer tells me is the "best" diesel mechanic around) says to not use a K&N air filter with the eco diesel. Said they are oily and it messes up the air flow. Had to have some air flow sensor replaced. Also initially they told me would not be covered under warranty, because I used a K&N. Wanted $1200 to do all these repairs. I knew the service mgr. so got him involved and got out of there for $450. Verdict still out if its fully fixed.

Interested to hear what y'all think? I have 30K miles on truck. Have had K&N since was new. Have serviced truck at this RAM dealer 3-4 times prior. NEVER once did they say anything about the K&N filter.

2. tjfdesmo

tjfdesmo Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 3500 DRW CTD
    Engine:
    CGI Cummins 6.7 HO
    I would not run a K&N on a lawn mower. They flow more air because they filter like a window screen. They don't stop fine dust and the oil does tend to migrate from the airbox to the turbocharger.

tidefan1967, yoda and buddy guy like this.
  3. mtnrider

mtnrider Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins
    ^ What he said. Wouldn't run one in a turbo charged engine. They don't filter well enough and they are oil soaked. Stick with the stock filter. I know on the 6.7 diesel the stock filter flows more air then a stock engine needs so there is no benefit to changing it.

tidefan1967, crash68 and tjfdesmo like this.
  4. Ransom

Ransom Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    VMI 3.0 TD
    Go back to dealer and get you money back. Your air filter did not ruin any sensors or mess up theair flow. Under Magnuson Moss they have to prove the filter was the cause if problem. There us not ed enough oil on an oiled air filter to cause problems. If there was the inside of your intake would be oily.

FCAEMPLOYEE likes this.
  5. crash68

crash68 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    ^^^ this
    Same goes for the stock filter for the EcoDiesel, the turbo can't feed enough air into the engine to out flow the air filter. Lowering the intake resistance makes a difference on naturally aspirated engines but the few hundredths a K&N might lower isn't going to make a difference when your running on pounds of boost into the intake. The 6.4 Hemi actually uses the same airfilter as the EcoD.
    Cold air intake set ups are another myth on the EcoD, they're good for looks and sound. Your not going to get any performance gains for $$$ spent, some of them even hinder performance.

You may want to have a talk with that dealer since the truck should be covered under the extended AEM warranty being it's a 2016.

tidefan1967 likes this.
  6. D F GA RAM

D F GA RAM Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 EcoDiesel
    yeah I am still having this ridiculous turbo lag acceleration issue, whatever they did had ZERO effect on fixing it. Its like 2 seconds, usually when I first start driving it out of my neighborhood. They did that emissions recall software update about a month ago and I swear that screwed it up. OF course I told the dealer that but they just assume I am another dumb, gullible customer who knows nothing about vehicles. Probably will just see if I can get this sorted out at a different RAM dealer....love everything else about the truck and it piss*s me off

tidefan1967 likes this.
  7. Kapt

Kapt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3L
    Mine is quite dangerous when it's cold. It's so slow accelerating that it scares me sometimes. Once it warm up it runs better than before the emissions work was done to it

8. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    When I bought my ‘17 it of course already had the emissions update on it and the extra lag you feel is normal from this update. A few ways to combat it is the pedal commander, an actual tune, or mash the pedal and ease off right as it gets going.

As far as the intakes go, when I took my truck to GDE to get tuned, they also informed me the stock filter flows perfectly for the engine even when tuned. The only reason I have an aftermarket is because I picked up a lightly used AFE intake for 80$ and love the excess sound I get of the turbo spool. The only way you’ll see better performance out of a different filter would be if you purchased H&S’s compound turbo kit. Something I’d love to do in the future but already have my dollars earmarked for a different turbo... the Polaris Rzr kind ;)

tidefan1967 likes this.
  9. Kapt

Kapt Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3L
    I've had Pedal Commander practically since I bought it

10. Shawn226

Shawn226 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0L EcoDiesel
    Idk how PC operates control wise but I’m assuming you fiddled with it to try different settings and see if you got any better results?