Eco diesel engine died.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IdahoDen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Eco diesel is dead at 109 000 km. The engine died last week on the highway. Heard some knocking for about 30 seconds and tried to get off the highway than the low oil pressure light came on and it was done. Had it towed to a guy I know that works on a lot of diesel engines and also sells parts for Rams. Didn't take long to tell me the engine is done. Looking at 18 000 to drop a new engine in. I don't want to put a cheaper used Eco diesel engine in because my faith in these engines is not great and a used engine wouldn't have much of a warranty. The mechanic told me I should have bought the Hemi. Said Eco engines have too many problems and he's seen this plenty of times before. Never has a vehicle die at a little over 100 000km and I was religious with maintenance and never towed with it. So frustrated.
We always maintain an extended warranty on our Ram trucks. After the first 100,000 mi we get one for another 50,000 mi. Then we buy a new one. The warranty paid for itself on repair savings on the 2014 5.7L Hemi. Our 2022 Eco-diesel has been problem free for the first 22k miles (except for a rear seat belt that got shoved between the seat and backrest without getting bolted in by the factory worker - ha!).

vitola1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Funny, similar just happened to me and I'm about to make a post for advice. I was in Hamilton coming from London, cruising down the highway and she suddenly started knocking. The knocking started fairly loud but deep at first then quickly became much quieter, cant really hear it outside of vehicle but sitting in drivers seet you can hear it. Drove back to London and by the time I got here the knocking was all but gone, next day I picked up oil and filter, pulled into garage and did drain and fill, sure enough fine metal particles in filter (at this point I wasn't even sure it was a bearing knock or say funky injector missfueling issue). Refilled and fired up and in the garage you can hear the knock but just barely. All this kinda tells me this motor is very rebuildable and I'm trying to decide which route to go.

I can pull the motor myself and bring it to rebuilders in toronto, there are companies there who rbuild ecodiesels, there's machine shops in london but seems nobody doing rebuilds so not sure I want to go through the trouble locally. Pulling the motor myself has the advantages of pulling intake and cleaning, replacing turbo coolant line and doing all the belt pullies and belt while it's out. The one stop goat shop seems to charge $2,000 for an engine swap which seems very fair and I have yet to contact him about rebuilding, he doesn't like emails and I can't hear very well over the phone :). It's a 2015 longhorn limited with 147,000km, air suspension etc, top of the line Leer topper and bed rug, completely gone over and newer cooper discoverer at3 tires, actually a nice truck. Too valuable to scrap but not valuable enough to justify a new motor. Another option is to see if I can list it for sale in the states, don't know if the american sites allow adverts from canada, with exchange rates as they are, high used truck values in states and americans paying far far less to rebuild this motor than we pay up here it may be a win win if I sell it down there.

I wouldn't pay much attention to any comments kind of saying your at fault for this failure. I had 3 mercedes sprinters all identical and driven identically, 1 had an EGR valve failure, thats it. 1 never ever had any problem at all ever. 1 I couldn't keep the thing on the road, never made 3,000km without a failure at 100,000km it was completely toast. Same oil, same fuel, same driving.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45