Eco diesel yes or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hysteria77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Has anyone had soot problems since they updated the EGR cooler? They are still making gen 2 motors in classic model that makes me believe they think they have them fixed for thr most part.

Wibob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I have a 2014 EcoDiesel (second owner) and so far...knock on wood, i haven't had any issues with the engine since i've owned it. I also have air suspension which is great when it has no issues. Currently am experiencing a problem. I would only own one of these again if it has original warranty as air suspension and engine are very expensive.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Nope. I have heard nothing but horror stories on it. I understand it is an Italian designed engine that fills with soot. Avoid.
It's actually the afterbirth of a GM design collaboration with VM, hence the--ahem--"rotating mass failures".

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Eco diesel is a true oxymoron but many people have bought into the myth. The total cost of ownership with a diesel engine is double that of a gas engine.
Oxymoron, how so?
What myth?

Owning several diesel-powered pieces of land management equipment plus a RAM Cummins, I'm very interested in seeing you support your claim that diesel ownership is double the cost of a gasser.

Dennetterville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
Has anyone had soot problems since they updated the EGR cooler? They are still making gen 2 motors in classic model that makes me believe they think they have them fixed for thr most part.
My city mileage has dropped by at least 10% on our 2014 JGC since the EGR was replaced 3 months ago under recall, and the Regen frequency has increased significantly to once every 125 km. As others have said, stop-and-go city driving is the Eco's Achilles heel, as the DPF soot load increases by more than 1% for every city mile driven. Highway driving is the Eco's sweet spot, with mileage in the low to mid-30s, and 20 mpg when towing our 6000-lb trailer on level highway. The engine is stock so far, but an SFT Stage 1+trans tune is waiting for me to find time to install it.

OP
OP
15 Handicap

15 Handicap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Blue Streak Pearl Coat 3.6
Nope. I have heard nothing but horror stories on it. I understand it is an Italian designed engine that fills with soot. Avoid.
Thats how I'm leaning, staying put. W4lwq, 73's

rayplumas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
2016 Ecodiesel 4X 4, air shocks, with 121000 miles, no problems, still waiting on warranty parts. I get 22 mpg, real mpg, calculated, not EVIC. empty and 12 mpg pulling a 6000 lb camp trailer. Goes 65 towing on interstates with plenty of reserve power.

jwrich4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
21 Ecodiesel, purchased Labor Day 2021, 2300 miles (I'm on mandatory telework, UFN). I've had no issues with mine. High of 26+mpg going to a trouble call at a site 70 miles away by highway and the lowest mpg I've seen is 21.9, while playing with the torque in and around town. I know, not many miles but so far, no issues and I'm happy with it.

jwrich4

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
As an update to the post above.

With 4300 miles on the truck, I'm seeing 24.5 I/A Miami. On the highway on a 6 hour round trip, I averaged 30.3 MPG at cruise control 80mph. At 85, the milage dropped to 27MPG.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Update on my 21. Now have over 33,000 miles. Had to visit the dealer last week for new outside temperature sensor. Symptoms: Outside temperature reading of 185 on dash, engine light on, "service electronic throttle" message and repeated exhaust filter regen messages every half hour. All while towing a 6,000 trailer across desert. Since I didn't know what the lightning warning light meant I read the manual and followed instructions. The engine stopped doing the regens after I followed the manual's instructions to simply shut the engine off and start back up. Then for the rest of the day things ran great, but the service engine light stayed on. No other messages or regens. Next day I got the same set of symptoms until I cycled the engine off and back on again. An appointment at Yucca Flat Ram and a new outside temperature sensor... and all is well again. Mileage while towing in steep Sierras is running over 13. That's sweet.