Eco diesel yes or no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moodyism

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 TD
Love mine with 160k. I generally don’t get in it if my trip is less than 10 miles. Otherwise it’s amazing.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is just me, but I think diesels should be in line, not a V configuration. I drove a Powerstroke at work when my Cummins was down for maintenance. That Powerstroke acted more like a gasser than a really good gasser.

The EPA took all the fun out of diesels.

I wouldn't be afraid of the Pentastar in a 1500 if I could get a 3.92 reward end.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Wife had first gen that she used to commute 100 miles a day in.
How did she get a prototype Cadillac engine? The 1st Gen EcoDiesel was only a prototype for Cadillac overseas, it never went to production.
The EcoDiesel engine in the DS body trucks is the 2nd Gen engine, the DT bodies have the 3rd Gen engine. The generation designation is right from the head of engineering for the platform.

2016RamEco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Laramie
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
The real question that has been asked already, is what do you plan to use your truck for? The other comment I really like - do your research.

I own a 2016 EcoDiesel Laramie. This is my second time around. I originally owned a 2015 EcoDiesel Limited that was more or less a lemon. Luckily, the 2015 was on warranty when it had all the troubles - i.e. air suspension replace twice, radio 4 times, rear end once, etc. The dealership had the vehicle for months. I don't think they knew how to solve the problems which were likely engineering driven. Due to a lawsuit that I was in early, I actually ended up ahead on that vehicle but remember all the problems well.

In-between first and second trucks, I owned an SUV. Great little vehicle. The second truck, which I currently own has been fantastic - but like I said, I did my research. A good friend of mine owns a small Ram dealership in a small commuter town about 20 mins from the city where I live. He convinced me to come test drive the truck again that he had full records for and was very low mileage. We ended up doing a straight trade on the SUV I had and he put on an extended warranty on the truck.

In research, these trucks are sensitive both to how they are driven and what you put in them due to the emission systems (like someone else mentioned). I baby this truck making sure it warms up properly, using consistent diesel (same station, same fuel) and I use an additive from Germany (Standyne 100) which helps the burn at the EGR. Most of the problems with the EGR happen because the recirculation is forced when the truck is cold and the oil sticks like gum to the filter system. Every 20k, I pull apart the EGR and clean the sucker. Once I'm done, the truck runs like new again.

My use is mainly as a commuter vehicle 3 to 4 times a week of 50 to 100 miles, mainly freeway. I tow about 3 to 4 times a year - small trailer and lighter loads - i.e. Quad's. The power in the truck is more than sufficient for my needs. This isn't for everyone and certainly isn't your work truck - but then the engine for these was not really designed as a work vehicle because of all the enviro crap on it.

That's my 2 cents....

folashade96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I was hesitant at first before I test drove my my '21 Rebel with the ecodiesel. Overall, I love it. 2" lift with 33's and pulling 28-30 mpg freeway driving. 22-24 mixed city/highway. Probably the best fuel economy I've ever gotten period of anything I've owned. I've towed a few times with it and it pulls without a care. And it doesn't have the typical diesel clatter of olden days. I've anything I'd say it's arguably quieter inside than the Hemi. The only cons I'd say are the 5k premium for it and there is a noticeable throttle lag, but I wouldn't attribute this to turbo lag. From what I've read it's a programmed delay in the programming.

Picdodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
25,000 trouble free miles on a 19 classic. Only about 8000 miles towing 10k trailer.. GDE tune. Like the hemi run good engine oil . Watch engine oil temp when towing.
I bought this truck in January of 20 new for 5g less than a hemi. 16g off sticker. I love it.

DarrenMeBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Yes
Cause gas will go over $5. A gal to push u to EVs
Some financial people think $200 bbl within 1 year but May happen suddenly
I’m very happy with mine and power delivery , quiet and 23 mpg in a beast . Up to 600 mi on a 34 gal tank fuel . If we get like UK lines to get gas truck stops be ez hit . Most truck stops have generators to pump in major power outages too. In 5 years my guess diesels be gone and resale be tops .

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I had one, it was good until it went bad... then it spent months in the shop. Dealer bought it back and I bought a 6.7 Cummins. Eco was great gas mileage, Cummins is descent once some stuff falls off. If you can afford the Cummins, it is definitely superior but your lucky to get 22 on long drives. Eco was like 25-26 on long drives

MrJerryg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Over the under powered gas engine any day. But I will stick with my 3500 and cummins

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would take one in an instant, just can't find em anywhere. I would love to swap the ecodeisel into so many platforms...

redram65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Yes, it does everything I need for towing. 29+ mpg all freeway is nice too, 22mpg mixed driving.

2018, 14k miles.

Hawaii_Built

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Another Ecodiesel owner checking in; it's a joy to drive. This motor is somewhat of a niche item though... I've been told that the truck will be very happy with longer commutes to get it nice and warmed up. If all you do is short stop and go runs around town, you may want to look at something else.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Any engine made by V. M. Motori SPA is a huge risk. I don't care what warranty comes with it you are still unsure how long that diesel will last. For the extra cost the RAM 2500 is a far better choice.

Spectre

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just sold my 2015. Love the truck had 0% faith in motor.