Eco Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frenchy59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I have a 2018 Eco diesel that is setting in a dealership with the engine blown. Is this common for the Eco diesel or is this a onetime thing? Ram is replacing the engine with a rebuilt diesel. I am wondering if I should keep it or trade it in for another one?

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some may disagree but it is very common Eco diesels have tons of issues total money pits once they fix it for you I recommend selling it while market is high get a 5.7 6.4 or a Cummins.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My 2014 ED just turned 78k trouble free miles. It would be nice to see some statistics for engine failure between the 5.7 and ED.

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
Friend of mine that worked for a supplier to Chrysler had a EcoDiesel (the recalll/extended warranty year) and couldn't dump it fast enough for a 2500 with a CTD in it..

Strange thing is, this engine apparently was used in other countries for years without issues.. what happened to make it a problem child for some in the US?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Before i got sick back in February 2020
My Ecodiesel was doing right at 20,000 miles a year
Not a sign of trouble
The oil has been changed at 7,000 miles each time

When i bought the eco diesel, they were still using the 5W-20
As soon as they went to the heavier oil, i changed over

I think many ecodiesel owners are changing oil at 10,000 miles, that is ok for HEMIs, but not for diesels

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2018 Eco diesel that is setting in a dealership with the engine blown. Is this common for the Eco diesel or is this a onetime thing? Ram is replacing the engine with a rebuilt diesel. I am wondering if I should keep it or trade it in for another one?
I had no trouble with mine but I changed up before I started having issues. Yours is a Gen 3 ED, they allegedly fixed some of the issues that were causing engine failures in the Gen 2's. Mine was a Gen 2. MY biggest concern would be: WHY are U getting a rebuilt motor instead of a new "crate" motor? That would have me hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Personally, I would have em fix up and trade up. Depends what U use yer ride for: Cummins if towing, or just tow once in a while big numbers the 6.4 or go back to the trusty 5.7. BUT that is just my OPINION. U do WHAT is right for U.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The major problem for the Eco was in the cam bolt that holds the timing gear in place could become loose and this would cause the timing to jump. Timing jumps and engine could go boom. There are other issues with the Eco but as with any veh some times you get a winner and other times you don't. That does suck, but anything can fail at anytime. Also remember these are not designed to be heavy towing veh. They were designed to get great fuel mileage. I would not tow no more than 9k regularly.

ajwilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco diesel
I have a 2014 ED with 175k trouble free miles. I change oil every 9 to 10,000 miles and use Mobil One oil. I love this truck so I plan to keep it for many more years. I have heard they have issues with sensors and such but I haven’t seen that. The 5.7 seems to have its fair share of troubles with exhaust manifolds and camshaft’s. Virtually all makes and models have their issues.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The major problem for the Eco was in the cam bolt that holds the timing gear in place could become loose and this would cause the timing to jump. Timing jumps and engine could go boom.
The cam bolt coming loose was a paranoid ranting of the late Shawn Capson, it's a non-issue. The friction-fit is used by lots of manufacturers in multiple of applications. The reports of the timing gear jumping is an almost non-existent failure.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had a 2016 that was purchased with 31K miles and I ran it for almost 4 years and
finally traded it at 120,000 miles for a 2020 Ecodiesel. My experience with the 2016 started
with coolant loss as a result of a failed egr cooler which was probably failed when I purchased the truck. When all the campaigns came out I had the upgraded programming for the emissions issue and received the $3000 and the additional 48 month and mileage engine extension component warranty. For the life of that vehicle I towed a boat to and from Minnesota, 1250 miles each way loaded to the gills with bicycles and gear etc, twice a year for 4 years and I never had another failure other than the egr cooler. I finally found a new Ecodiesel with the exact equipment I was looking for and traded for a 2020 Limited with multifunction tailgate, air ride and of course the next Gen Ecodiesel. Sorry to hear your not haveing the same success I had with mine, but if you check into the Ram Diesel Forum, you'll find there are many of us with Ecodiesels that are very happy with them.

sbyrne9r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco Diesel
I've been wondering about the timing cam coming loose. I've got 95K miles on it, change the oil every 5k, and its been a great truck for me. I'm hoping to get many more years out of it

tangocash001

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 eco diesel
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
With the new warranty on the engine, it might be worth it. My advice is don't be driving an Eco diesel unless you have an extended warranty and a good one. I speak from experience