ECO mode on PW, me no like

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corvette427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
:jester:the constant back and forth from eco to non eco while driving is driving me crazy! I think I really noticed it now due to the new exhaust system .

I know tow/haul mode cancels it out but then you have elongated shifts.....

I should have searched this site ( I will ) but is there a way to turn off?

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yes, you can use the +/- on the colum shifter. All you have to do is enter the manual shift mode and put it all the way to 6th gear and it'll shift up and down that way and MDS won't kick in.

There is no way to permanently disable it without voiding warranty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes, you can use the +/- on the colum shifter. All you have to do is enter the manual shift mode and put it all the way to 6th gear and it'll shift up and down that way and MDS won't kick in.

There is no way to permanently disable it without voiding warranty.

It Works Great by shifting to 6th.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:jester:the constant back and forth from eco to non eco while driving is driving me crazy! I think I really noticed it now due to the new exhaust system .
I know tow/haul mode cancels it out but then you have elongated shifts.....
I should have searched this site ( I will ) but is there a way to turn off?
While I don't have a PW, I can hear the stupid MDS as well, especially more so after changing out the exhaust. Most of the time I'll drive with the MDS on, but sometimes it drives me up a wall and I cancel it out with the gear selector as mentioned above.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MDS and ECO are two completely different things. ECO only comes on when you are driving economically and has nothing to do with the MDS cylinder deactivation.

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
MDS and ECO are two completely different things. ECO only comes on when you are driving economically and has nothing to do with the MDS cylinder deactivation.
This is true, but I knew what he was talking about which is why I posted the option above.

However, it's been my experience with owning (2) 2500s that ECO mode doesn't exist unless you're under 50 MPH or decelerating. Mine never comes on anytime over 50 MPH where as with the 1500 I used to own, I could do anything over 50 and as long as I cruised at that speed the ECO would come on.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Eco will not come on if you have shifted into 6th to deactivate MDS.

i never use mds so i am forced to shift into 6th as soon as i get going. i have never seen the eco light once doing this, as i believe you cant be eco if you arent mds'ing.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is true, but I knew what he was talking about which is why I posted the option above.
However, it's been my experience with owning (2) 2500s that ECO mode doesn't exist unless you're under 50 MPH or decelerating. Mine never comes on anytime over 50 MPH where as with the 1500 I used to own, I could do anything over 50 and as long as I cruised at that speed the ECO would come on.
I'm not being a smart ass, but can you guys explain the difference to me? I'd really like to know.
Thanks!

Odin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I'm not being a smart ass, but can you guys explain the difference to me? I'd really like to know.
Thanks!

Thanks!

While MDS and ECO are two different things they are still similar and in some ways connected. The ECO light on the cluster comes one when you're driving economically which normally happens a short time after MDS kicks in. This is normally when you're cruising. ECO and MDS turn off when you're accelerating.

To turn MDS off doesn't always mean you can't enter ECO mode, it's just not in my experience very often. When I had my 1500 I could cruise at 75 MPH and ECO would be displayed on the cluster. The only time it didn't is if I was cruising at 80 or higher, which wasn't often. In the (2) 2500s that I've had, one of them being my current PW, ECO never comes on over 50 MPH for me. Doesn't matter what I do or how I drive. If it's over 50 no ECO for me.

MDS is the programming put in by the manufacturer that shuts off cylinders at cruising speeds to help be more fuel efficient. You can't permanently disable MDS without a tuner and then you've voided your warranty.

Again, they are different, but still connected in some ways.

This is just my experience with the (3) trucks I've had and some of my researching.

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
Thanks!

To put it simply

Eco- maximizes transmission shift points to get the most fuel mileage but may feel funny/ sluggish while driving

MDs- shuts down 4 cylinders in certain rpm ranges to also maximize fuel mileage

2 different systems but both are trying to make your truck more fuel efficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While MDS and ECO are two different things they are still similar and in some ways connected. The ECO light on the cluster comes one when you're driving economically which normally happens a short time after MDS kicks in. This is normally when you're cruising. ECO and MDS turn off when you're accelerating.

To turn MDS off doesn't always mean you can't enter ECO mode, it's just not in my experience very often. When I had my 1500 I could cruise at 75 MPH and ECO would be displayed on the cluster. The only time it didn't is if I was cruising at 80 or higher, which wasn't often. In the (2) 2500s that I've had, one of them being my current PW, ECO never comes on over 50 MPH for me. Doesn't matter what I do or how I drive. If it's over 50 no ECO for me.

MDS is the programming put in by the manufacturer that shuts off cylinders at cruising speeds to help be more fuel efficient. You can't permanently disable MDS without a tuner and then you've voided your warranty.

Again, they are different, but still connected in some ways.

This is just my experience with the (3) trucks I've had and some of my researching.
To put it simply

Eco- maximizes transmission shift points to get the most fuel mileage but may feel funny/ sluggish while driving

Great responses guy. I appreciate it!

MJockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
By the way, The ECO light is off by default and has to be turn on in the setting section on the Uconnect system.

JamesWyatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
To put it simply

I always thought ECO mode on an FCA product was simply telling you when you are driving economically. Is it seriously some sort of “mode” that happens to kick in when you drive it a certain way and/or during times when it can? That might explain the irritating and seemingly random lugging the truck has when you give it the gas.

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
I always thought ECO mode on an FCA product was simply telling you when you are driving economically. Is it seriously some sort of “mode” that happens to kick in when you drive it a certain way and/or during times when it can? That might explain the irritating and seemingly random lugging the truck has when you give it the gas.

Yes, you are correct. If eco mode is on, your pcm( power control module) and tcm ( transmission control module) are working together to maximize fuel efficiency by changing transmission shift points at certain rpms.

boxofrokx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe you are wrong. A quote from link below, 'When MDS is operating, it is indicated by a “Fuel Saver” readout in the vehicles Electronic Vehicle Information Center.' http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=8414&mid=

If you have a source that states otherwise can you provide link? Is it more reliable than FCA marketing?