"ECO" on dash dsiplay, 2020 3.6L Tradesman

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Ram Year
20??
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you want to turn off eco mode, just press the tow/haul button. LOL.
The eco indicator still comes on in tow/haul mode on my '17 Pentastar. I think people are talking about two different things.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

CD008

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014 5.7. How do you know when MDS is on if the eco light is essentially useless.

Darr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MDS and ECO are 2 different things. MDS is cutting out cylinders, and ECO just indicates you're driving in a fuel efficient manner.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
MDS and ECO are 2 different things. MDS is cutting out cylinders, and ECO just indicates you're driving in a fuel efficient manner.

In the old days some cars had a "econo-meter" which was a vacuum gauge in the dash. Using this you could develop gas saving driving habits. Generally it was light throttle acceleration, and modest cruising speeds, always trying to maintain the highest manifold vacuum possible. Too much throttle (vacuum dropped) and the needle dropped in to the BAD economy range.
This basically what the ECO light is. You are seeing peak vacuum at cruise. As soon as you start up a grade the engine has to work harder and vacuum drops, ECO indicator goes out.

Last edited:

flyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love hyper-mileing my truck. I've never had a truck that got up to 27.9mpg ever. My 82 ford f100 with the 300ci six got the closest at about 20. My 1990 454SS got 10/ll and it really did, my 98 Ram1500 gets up to 16 usually around 15 or so, so this truck sips gas like a vokswagon bug. When gas is back to $4 gal you'll be glad if your only vehicle is a v-6 and you ain't got that hemi. LOL

Edit Added a picture:View attachment 221643
Probably will be somewhat less if you hand calculate your MPG.

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

But if you are driving in a fuel efficient manner then the MDS is also on 60% of the time... and as I have said if I want a v6 or 4banger I would have bought one :baby: :bleh: :doh2:

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 5.7. How do you know when MDS is on if the eco light is essentially useless.

When the eco mode is on the exhaust sounds like krap and the motor shudders..:cheers: :driver::driver::driver::doh2:

46RamMan

U.S. Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably will be somewhat less if you hand calculate your MPG.

Mileage hell :beatdeadhorse5: if I want mileage I would buy a hybrid :party36:... I just fill it when the needle says 1/2 tank and go on.. don't know and don't care what the mileage is :peace:.....it a TRUCK for peets sake :happy175:... and I haul and tow and **** every day :chair: :driver: :van: :driver::grd:

Darr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
But if you are driving in a fuel efficient manner then the MDS is also on 60% of the time... and as I have said if I want a v6 or 4banger I would have bought one :baby: :bleh: :doh2:

...unless you have MDS turned off with a tuner.