Ecodiesel/6.4 Airbox mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I was looking at picking up the S&B intake since I am planning on doing headers and a tune but noticed a popular route seems to be replacing the lower air box with EcoD/6.4 box and filter. Since S&B posts all their testing data I thought I'd compare their data on the testing for the 6.4 and 5.7 intakes. Assuming the intake tube from the box to the engine has a negligible effect on air flow it seems that the 6.4 intake provides about 50% of the benefit of the S&B Dry intake. Since the 6.4 intake is tested at difference CFMs than the 5.7 intake I had plotted the the two separate data sets in excel to be able to estimate what the pressure differential of the 6.4 intake was at the engines max CFM, which per S&B is 451. At 451 CFM the pressure differential for the 5.7 intake is 8.26, the S&B dry intake is 5.7 and the extrapolated 6.4 intake is 6.59. This means that the S&B Dry intake is about a 15% improvement over the 6.4 intake for the 5.7L engine. Below is the chart which shows the 6.4 intake being right between the two with CFM on the bottom and the pressure differential on the left. With a performance air filter you may be able to get within 10% of the overall benefit of the S&B but I plan on sticking with the paper filter after finding some fine dust on the inside of my AEM drop in.
1645482444832.png

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956