EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Hello fellow RF Members, I have sold my truck and will no longer be supplying updates about the ecodiesel, however if you've enjoyed what I've done here follow me over to my new threat, Life as a Ram 2500 MC 6.4L V8 Hemi

Post Trip Updates:
Below you will find abbreviated updates, click the dates to learn more.

5/16/2014 - A little personal review on my truck. (Two parts)

5/28/2014 - Drove to Anchorage (284 miles) got an average of 24mpg

6/3/2014 - Returned from Anchorage (293 miles) got an average of 25.2 mpg

8/2/2014 - DEF Fluid

3/7/2015 - List of all issues I've had "repaired" including Work Orders.

6/9/2015 - Sold my Ecodiesel on 6/4/2015 and purchased a 2015 Ram 2500 w/ 6.4L V8 Hemi.

Trip Updates:
Note: I have made lots of mini updates along the way that aren't shown below and have only provided hyperlinks to the longer posts.​

Permalink - Current Avg. MPG per Fuelly for Tapatalk members and or if I remove it from my Sig. (Due note that I have over 4,500 miles logged to date while hauling a trailer and this has killed my lifetime average MPG which is what you see in my signature and at this permalink. If you click on the fuelly banner it'll take you to my account at their website and you can get more information on my recent averages instead of my lifetime.)

4/28/2014 - Day 1 picked up the truck

4/30/2014 - Day 2 & 3. Picked up the trailer & equipment

5/3/2014 - Day 4 & 5 long stretch of driving fully loaded, oil change, picked up my friend and took two days of R&R

5/6/2014 - Day 7 drove from Republic WA to Edmonton AB Canada, 2 more days of R&R

5/8/2014 - Day 10 & 11 Drove from Edmonton to Anderson AK, over 1,900 miles in about 36 hours.

Order Updates:

2/07/2014 - Ordered a 2014 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, 6'4" bed, All the bells and whistles.

3/11/2014 - Scheduled to be built

3/14/2014 - Estimated to arrive at the dealership on April 7th.

3/21/2014 - Vehicle now in Trim Status. Purchased Plan Tickets, and finalised a basic Itinerary.

3/24/2014 - Moved from Trim into Final Inspection.

3/25/2014 - Passed Final Inspection my Little Diesels is now in a sub-phase of shipping. New estimated arrival time of April 17th, Basic Itinerary my be compromised as a result.

4/01/2014 - Financed Vehicle

4/14/2014 - Truck arrived Early at the dealership, and they've installed some accessories and sent pictures!

Original Post
The Plan.
As some of you may know I live in Alaska. But I purchased my vehicle from Dave Smith Motor's Located in Kellogg, ID. I purchased my truck there from a guy named Dan Black; Here is his Email if anyone is interested in getting a Quote or information on a new or used vehicle. Tell Him I (Anthony Smith) Sent you. Anyway, so I purchased and ordered my truck through them. When It arrives I will be flying down to pick her up and drive her home. But it's not quite the straight forward trip most of y'all would expect. My dad, the loving father that he is, want's me to pick up a 14' Dump Trailer in Cody, WY. Approximately 4,100 lbs. Then drive all the way over to Torrington, WY. To pick up two pieces of farming Equipment to put on the trailer. A potato planter (400 lbs) and a potato Digger (1,500 lbs) Totaling up to be about 6,000 lbs I'll have to haul up to Alaska. Did I mention I have no real experience with trailers? I guess I now have a crash course. Here is a an Example of my travel plan. I say its only an example because I'd like to drive through Yellowstone while I'm near by but Google Maps won't let me route my trip through the passes at the moment. My original plan was to pick up the truck and drive home, about 2,400 Miles. But with all the equipment I'll be grabbing the trip is now about 4,000 miles, of which only the first 500 is load free. So I wont have a very solid Load free HWY MPG, But I'll have the best towing HWY MPG on the web at the time of completion. I'll have everything from mountain passes to long straightaways.​
Edit: I've posted an itinerary of sorts that can be found here, or under updates.

Discovering the "Little Diesel"
Since October of 2013 I was in the market for a new vehicle. I am currently a proud owner of a '03 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Extended Cab 4x4 with the 4.8L V-Tech. During my initial search for a new vehicle I was looking for something more fuel efficient then my 12/17mpg truck. I started off looking at a Dodge Dart Limited. It was nice, but to small. Dodge Avenger, Nice but not amazing. Kia Optima 2.0L Turbo... Man that thing was a beast! but it was pushing 35k... More then I wanted to spend for a car. Finally I started to settle for a Subaru Legacy. Comfortable to drive but that was about it. Around November a friend told me about Dodge's latest Ram, The EcoDiesel. Thats when I knew I'd be selling my truck and getting a new one. After spending months trying to gather information and pricing everything. Learning about all the options I decided to go the the Longhorn Addition. WAY MORE then I originally wanted to spend on any vehicle but I found a way to justify the cost. I figured, I was about to buy a car for efficiency probably costing close to 25k. Then when my truck brakes I'll need a new one... 35k? Well... It'll hurt but as long as I stay under 60k I'll be technically buying two vehicles in one and saving a small fortune on insurance.

On February 7th, EcoDiesel orders opened up. First thing that morning I got one on order. This is the info from my official order form if anyone is interested. Edit: Now that my vehicle has been invoiced you can see the official window sticker here
2014 Ram 1500 4WD Crew Cab 6'4" Longhorn. Engine: 3.0 V6 TURBO DIESEL-inc: 230 Amp Alternator, GVWR 6,950 lbs, 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio, 800 Amp Maintenance Free Battery, 3.0L Diesel Badge, Selective Catalytic Reduction (Urea), Next Generation Engine Controller, 26 Gallon Fuel Tank.
TRANSMISSION: 8-SPEED AUTOMATIC (8HP70)(STD)
MONOTONE PAINT APPLICATION-inc: Body Color Fender Flares, Bright Rear Bumper, Wheels: 20x9 Polished Aluminum w/Silver Inserts, Bright Front Bumper, Chrome Tubular Side Steps.
TRUE BLUE PEARLCOAT.
LT FROST BEIGE/BROWN, PREMIUM FILIGREE LEATHER SEATS.
CONVENIENCE GROUP-inc: Auto High Beam Headlamp Control, Rain Sensitive Windshield Wipers, Remote Proximity Keyless Entry, Keyless Go.
TRAILER TOW MIRRORS & BRAKE GROUP-inc: Trailer Brake Control, Power Chrome Trailer Tow Mirrors.
PROTECTION GROUP-Inc: Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield, Front Suspension Skid Plate.
ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE
ENGINE BLOCK HEARER
4-CORNER AIR SUSPENSION
POWER SUNROOF
REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
CHROME TUBULAR SIDE STEPS​

A few weeks later, I got my VIN number from my Sales rep so I could track the status of my truck​

As it sits, I'm not sure when I'll be starting my adventure but I will keep everyone updated and informed as time goes on.

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's quite the journey. You'll be doing all this by yourself? Best of luck to you and I'll be along for the ride via this thread.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of solo driving. If you got a CD player you should bring along a couple of Audio Books to listen to.

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
That's quite the journey. You'll be doing all this by yourself?

At the moment, I can only plan for myself I have a close friend who is interested in joining me after I pick up all the equipment but sense I have no Official dates he can't say for sure if wants to come or not. I've driven from Oklahoma to Alaska before with my brother, we drove practically non-stop the whole way and it only took us a few days. I'm not afraid of going by myself, everyone needs an adventure now and again ;)

Lots of solo driving. If you got a CD player you should bring along a couple of Audio Books to listen to.

I Actually have two Audio books planned for the trip, The way of Kings, and Words of Radiance. Both by Brandon Sanderson. The first book is roughly 45 hours and the second is over 48 hours. I've listened to the first before but want a refresher seeing as he just released the second book in the series. I have them imported onto my computer and thus will have them on my iPod for the drive. Saving me from changing CDs every few hours.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, again, good luck to you. I'd be all for an adventure like that.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What a great way to break in a new truck. That will be a lengthy trek, but what an awesome experience, to get out, see a lot of beautiful country, all while enjoying the new truck.

Speaking of the truck, that thing sounds LOADED. All the right options. I wish I had leather (especially if it was heated and came with a block heater) and the sunroof.

I guess with all that torque, the "Little Diesel" can pull down low nicely with the 3:55's and still return great mpg?

I am curious, but pretty ignorant of what the specs are for that new motor. How much Tq/Hp and what are they claiming for MPG's?

I guess it won't be an issue towing after 500 miles of "break in". Not so much the motor, but the trans, brakes, etc. There are some pretty good grades mixed in on that route, as well as some flat higher speed stuff.

It will be interesting to watch as this plays out.

Out of curiosity, how much do you think that trailer and all the farm equipt. will weight once all hooked up and rolling?

And did I mis read that about the Potato gizmo? You aren't dropping it in Idaho, but going to pack it all the way back up to Alaska?

Do Potatoes grow up there? I thought the biggest exports of Alaska were Giant Mosquitos, Oil and Bears. Not necessarily in that order.

:laughing1:

But hell yes. Keep us posted and shoot lots of photos to go with the data and ride report. We can all be your "virtual" passengers.

Sounds like a badass rig! :headbang:

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
@Brakelate
The vehicle I ordered has all the options minus the 3.92 rear axle and Rambox. Both were unavailable at the time I ordered. I am so excited for the heated/cooled seats and especially the heated steering wheel.

I believe the 3.55 RAR (Rear Axle Ratio) was what they used to get the EPAs. City is 20, Highway is 28 and combined was 22mpg. Apparently the 4X4 models loose 1mpg in each category. The 3.55 & 3.92 RARs Have the same payload however you gain an additional 1,000 lbs of max towing when upgrading to the optional 3.92 RAR. Here is what the Longhorn gets based off the Axle Ratio.
3.55 / 3.92
Max Payload (before driver)
1,009 lbs
Max Towing (before driver)
7,500 lbs / 8,500 lbs.​

The 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel has 240hp @ 3,600rpm and 420lb-ft @ 2,000rps, That's more torque then the 5.7 V8 Hemi.

The diesel as per the owner manual does not have a break-in period, it states
"The 3.0 Turbocharged diesel engine does not require a break-in period due to its construction. Normal operation is allowed, providing the following recommendations are followed:
  • Warm up the engine before placing it under a load.
  • Do not operate the engine at idle for prolonged periods.
  • Use the appropriate transmission gear to prevent engine lugging.
  • Observe vehicle oil pressure and temperature indicators.
  • Check the coolant and oil levels frequently.
  • Cary throttle position at highway speeds when carrying or towing significant weight.
NOTE: Light duty operation such as light trailer towing or no load operation will extend the time before the engine is at full efficiency. Reduced fuel economy and power may be seen at this time.
"​
Because I'll be going about 500 miles before I pick up the trailer the rest of the drive line should be ready to actually work.

The trailer should be about 6,000 lbs once I've picked everything up. No, you didn't misread, everything is coming back home to Alaska with me. Potatoes grow wonderfully up here. Believe it or not there is actually a market for them. You forgot about moose in your list though, and I feel the mosquitoes need to be said twice because they're so bad.

Once the ball starts rolling and I pick up the truck. I'll hopefully be posting daily. Until I get to Canada anyway. I don't want to pay any mobile charges.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This is going to be awesome. Truck sounds amazing. Can't wait to see it on it's adventure. I would love to take a trip like that.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Potatoes grow wonderfully up here. Believe it or not there is actually a market for them. You forgot about moose in your list though, and I feel the mosquitoes need to be said twice because they're so bad.

:lol:

And I would have never guessed about Potatoes. Guess I DO learn something new every day.

Speaking of Moose and other large critters that find their way out onto the highway; Are you considering any sort of front end protection? Like a Brushguard or Bull Bar type of set up?

I'll have to go read up on this powertrain. I suspect, that given that much torque, plus the 8 speed Auto, you might be better off with the gear set that it is coming with. Depends on where it's "Sweet Spot" is, but running hills or towing at highway speeds with the 3.92's may have the Diesel turning more RPM's that it prefers. You may have the best of both worlds. Good crawl ratio for getting rolling or off road use, while still having a very nice "deep" overdrive for when you are unloaded and cruising.

I wish I could go along... that would make for a scenic trip!

Let's hope Pop's trailer is wired correctly to "mate up" with the new truck. I have a Box Trailer that for some reason is wired different, so the truck does not "recognize" that it is towing. The lights work, but it does not sync up with the trailer brakes and it doesn't log the miles on the "Miles Towed" counter on the dash.

While, on the other hand, I have a Travel Trailer, that was just "plug and go"! Nothing better than just locking down the ball, safety chains and plugging in, and letting the truck do everything else. The Tow / Brake controller is awesome. I still get amazed at all the little things that this truck does that just makes life that much safer and easier to deal with.

...waiting for the next installment. :driver:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Congrats on the order of you new RAM!! Sounds like an awesome trip. Can't wait to see all where it takes you. :popcorn:

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Order status update:
Called to get my vehicle's current status and its in "D1 - gateline schedule - scheduled to be built" I should have an estimated completion date by the end of the week​

Speaking of Moose and other large critters that find their way out onto the highway; Are you considering any sort of front end protection? Like a Brushguard or Bull Bar type of set up?

Let's hope Pop's trailer is wired correctly to "mate up" with the new truck. I have a Box Trailer that for some reason is wired different, so the truck does not "recognize" that it is towing. The lights work, but it does not sync up with the trailer brakes and it doesn't log the miles on the "Miles Towed" counter on the dash.

Yes, I'm looking into an aftermarket brush guard. I haven't found one I liked yet however, I did just see a nice one while I was in Fairbanks the other day that I'm interested in. I posted a picture of it in the Random Cell phone pic thread. As I went and got the link information I see you commented so you already know what one I'm talking about.

Oh man, Don't scare me with the wiring on that trailer. I don't think I'm experienced enough to tow 6,000 lbs without some extra stopping force from the trailer brakes.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sounds really awesome I am tuned in.

$miley

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed. Can't wait to see how the little diesel does

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

JJP71584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sub'd

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Mr.Asmith9

Mr.Asmith9

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
Engine
6.4L V8 Hemi
Order status update:

Alright guys, like I hoped I've got some more information on my truck that I'm pretty happy about. I've learned that my truck is being built in Warren, MI. Its estimated to be completed by March 22nd, put on a train and moved to Chicago, IL by March 27th, then railed over to Spokane, WA by April 5th. At which point they will haul it over to Kellogg, Id. They didn't supply a date but I'd assume it would arrive at the dealership by the 7th of April, seeing as the dealership will be closed on the 6th.

Because the time is only an approximation and not yet official I can only speculate on when I'll fly down to start my journey. Its possible that I could be down there as early as the 13th of April if the above dates hold. But fear not, Ya'll will know when I do = )

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Wow, just read this thread and that trip looks like a lot of fun, so much beautiful scenery out there!

Be quite a site if a bunch of us came with you, gorgeous scenery a bunch of Rams all following in a line behind a trailer! :lol:

Thanks for the updates, curious how that little diesel does in terms of working and fuel.