EcoDiesel Discontinued.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
All you EV Owners down in Florida
Likely have not given thought to Charging your EV

You can't go from Miami to East Georgia on one battery charge

Just like your neighbor with a gasoline powered vehicle have not topped off their tank & the line at the gas station is going to be around the block

I will be watching Florida on the weather report
& the last minute traffic heading north

Also, here in never-hurricane country, see how long an EV charge lasts @ -20 degrees F (or lower) and you also need cabin heat.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, here in never-hurricane country, see how long an EV charge lasts @ -20 degrees F (or lower) and you also need cabin heat.
suh, you not need any stinking heat or AC, just plug it in and deal with it, roflmao. OH, and if you wanna tow, condolences, LOL, better be 1,000 lbs or less.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
suh, you not need any stinking heat or AC, just plug it in and deal with it, roflmao. OH, and if you wanna tow, condolences, LOL, better be 1,000 lbs or less.

I guess we could wear our arctic parkas and swampers (a yooper article of footwear) whilst commuting, but the iced up windshield could prove kind of tough to see through.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess we could wear our arctic parkas and swampers (a yooper article of footwear) whilst commuting, but the iced up windshield could prove kind of tough to see through.
Add these fer yer footies, lol. I still have a pair from when I was assigned to a Northern Tier base in 76.

Attachments

• muks.JPG
    muks.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 1

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried so hard to get those issued. Never did qualify, though.
I was also issued a pair of "blow" up bunny boots, but that was like walking like an elephant on skis, the Mucks were a lot better especially on Flightline. IF we knew we were gonna be outta any shelter long period, we all bought 9 volt battery socks and wore in the mucks, as they were not the most waterproof. We used to spray them to waterslow them ne way.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have not decided what to do

sell my 2016 Ecodiesel or keep it until it costs me something over my limit

Grab a 2022 CLASSIC Quad cab ecodiesel, while i still can

Hope that the come out with that new Hurricane engine in the Rams before long

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I was also issued a pair of "blow" up bunny boots, but that was like walking like an elephant on skis, the Mucks were a lot better especially on Flightline. IF we knew we were gonna be outta any shelter long period, we all bought 9 volt battery socks and wore in the mucks, as they were not the most waterproof. We used to spray them to waterslow them ne way.

All you need on ship deck is not-slip soles. fyi

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OH, you mean my bedroom slippers? roflmao

BOIRD's not go on SHIPS !!!!!

ADDED: The last ship I was on was the USCG Sailing Cutter, sail ship they use for training while in Cuba in '95. Not remember the ship's name. THAT is as close to open water this BOIRD goes, BOIRD's of my lineage not float well roflmao. Had to make sure I included a pic of RADO's last assigned ship, lol. And that cutter was ******* to a dock, works for me.

RADO DINGY.pngturk helmut drive.JPG

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's funny that after crying for a Diesel Jeep for decades they are dropping it there too after only a couple years...
Well, an Italian company did buy out RAM, and as we all know $$$$$$$$$$ (Georgie Washington) runs the show, LOL. Now if I could just get lucky and find a suitcase of Benjamin's for me self, LOL>

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
yes. seems a little odd that a foreign mfr would be so quick to drop the dsl motor. folks say that they finally have got all the bugs out of it and in the rest of the world where the mother ship is selling vehicles, the norm is for folks to buy dsl and keep em for many miles. dsl fuel easy to get in the rest of the world..not so many charging stations in the hinterlands. I was leaning toward one if I dont go 2500.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Methinks the diesel engine is going away because European regulations of diesel emissions are getting tougher. It looks like the VW diesel scandal and FCA's own problems meeting standards in real world driving is also to blame. There is a ton of information to be found on the Royal Auto Club website.... The bottom line? If Stelantis can't sell as many small diesels in Europe, their main market for these things, then making small diesel engines is not profitable anymore. Its too bad.
See https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/diesels/

Mando Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm one of the unlucky ones; I had a 2015 and had nothing but trouble with it - especially after the emissions 'flash' turned it into a gutless wonder. (I know, there are aftermarket chips and features to give it back its power, but I was hoping for a 'stock' motor I could rely on for years.) I didn't even dare pull out into traffic pulling my RV as the turbo lag was so bad you could read a magazine waiting for it to kick in. (No help from the dealership on THAT safety concern!) I wound up dumping it and getting the exact same truck (it had been a RAM Outdoorsman package) in a 2019 Classic with a 5.7L hemi. Love this one, and the MPG's with the MDS often run as good as the EcoDiesel did after they 'dumbed it down' with the flash.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
I've now got 53,000 miles. The only engine issue was caused by a faulty outside temperature sensor while we were on a long trip.The rural dealer I took it to took half a day to replace it -- he had to get the part from another dealer. I've had no other drivetrain issues. But like everyone else with the Gen 3 ED engine I am waiting for a replacement high pressure fuel pump. There have been minor recalls for the rear camera, inappropriately opening tailgate, and a computer software related recall to "improve vehicle performance", which didn't seem (to me) to affect MPG or performance at all! The truck came without the trailer reverse steering control circuit, so it didn't work at all. It took several months for FCA to figure out that the truck's rear camera was missing the circuit necessary circuitry and they replaced the camera.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm one of the unlucky ones; I had a 2015 and had nothing but trouble with it - especially after the emissions 'flash' turned it into a gutless wonder. (I know, there are aftermarket chips and features to give it back its power, but I was hoping for a 'stock' motor I could rely on for years.) I didn't even dare pull out into traffic pulling my RV as the turbo lag was so bad you could read a magazine waiting for it to kick in. (No help from the dealership on THAT safety concern!) I wound up dumping it and getting the exact same truck (it had been a RAM Outdoorsman package) in a 2019 Classic with a 5.7L hemi. Love this one, and the MPG's with the MDS often run as good as the EcoDiesel did after they 'dumbed it down' with the flash.

Your saying your Hemi is getting 27-31 mpg hwy like the Eco diesel has been reported to be getting?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded in my ED just before the flash and got the lower payout of $990 from the CALIF CARB lawsuit. Used those dollars to asssist buying my full tonneau cover.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your saying your Hemi is getting 27-31 mpg hwy like the Eco diesel has been reported to be getting?
Hmmmmm, that's a stretch. Maybe hypermiling and being towed behind a truck, LOL. I am happy if I see 20-21 on hwy, but then, me thinks it is a Hemi, hee hee.

Mando Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No - what I'm saying is that after the flash, my MPG's on the ED went from mid 20's (highway) to upper-teens, and like 10-12 mpg pulling my RV. I'm getting nearly that same mileage with the Hemi; took a trip to Florida last March (not with the RV) and averaged 22.6 mpg for the trip. Get 17-18 mpg around town. Hemi is thirsty when pulling the RV, but only a mpg or so less than the ED after the flash. With diesel fuel often $1 or more a gallon higher than gas, getting shed of the ED was a no brainer. Not to mention the dreadful turbo-lag.