Ecodiesel Louder?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I've been told numerous times that changing the muffler of an Eco won't change anything. Has anyone tried just removing the muffler? I want it to be louder, but my wallet won't let me get a whole new exhaust system

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Certain engines, now days, don't sound good loud. I'd be interested in hearing an Eco with no mffler.

It's real easy to get the Hemi to sound good. I've heard some crappy sounding 5.0 Mustangs. Ive heard some really awful sounding V6 Mustangs, but I've heard V6s that sounded great.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Mine is a Laramie, the exhaust is the tails that go out under the bumper. Should sound cool, but I want to know for sure before spending money to have the muffler removed lol

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Won't change the sound of an ecodiesel. The SCR and DPF keep it silent.

Reactions: CTD

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are a few YouTube videos of no muffler and also straight piped EcoD. The sound doesn't jump as dramatically as doing the same to a Cummins.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Won't change the sound of an ecodiesel. The SCR and DPF keep it silent.

How does one get it to be louder without spending $1,800 on a complete exhaust system?

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How does one get it to be louder without spending $1,800 on a complete exhaust system?

You are probable not going to like the answer but their is no way in changing the sound of a modern diesel with out deleting the scr and dpf. At this time the only way to do this is by sending the ecm to a tuner and replacing the entire exhaust system. This will cause you to lose your warranty and if you live in a place that smog's or does inspections it will not pass. Also their is only a hand full of tuners that are currently tuning the eco diesel. But if you are interested hear is one of the very few tuners, how to go about it and some information.

https://ppei.com/products/eco-diesel-ecm-tuning

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Thanks for the link

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the link

No problem.

Later on down the road when more used higher mileage ECO Diesels start showing up on used car lots at a reasonable price I would love to get one and do a build of some sort.

I bet with some custom tuning and a few other things the ECO Diesels could be a hell of a truck and a blast to drive. :naughty:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your looking into a tune, check out Green Diesel Engineering. They are highly recommend by all of their customers. You can find tunes that make more horsepower/torque but at the expense of exceeding the engine safety parameters.

I bet with some custom tuning and a few other things the ECO Diesels could be a hell of a truck and a blast to drive

One of the biggest bottlenecks of the EcoD is the stock turbo. Your not going to build a bunch more horsepower or torque without over-speeding the stock turbo. GDE has a complete intercooler relocation kit and upgraded turbo coming out soon.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Once the EPA stuck their big nose into diesels, the diesels were for the most part, no longer fun.

If you think an Eco Diesel can be made into a badass truck, maybe you ought to drive a stocker, and check prices of aftermarket parts first. In stock form, they are a slug. I drove one. Any big pick up that gets 28 mpg, is pretty damn cool. But just don't expect it to be as much fun as one of the Hemis.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your looking into a tune, check out Green Diesel Engineering. They are highly recommend by all of their customers. You can find tunes that make more horsepower/torque but at the expense of exceeding the engine safety parameters.

One of the biggest bottlenecks of the EcoD is the stock turbo. Your not going to build a bunch more horsepower or torque without over-speeding the stock turbo. GDE has a complete intercooler relocation kit and upgraded turbo coming out soon.

I've been wondering when some more bolt on parts were going to start rolling out for the ECO.

I figured that tuners had the turbo at max. I was actually surprised that they were able to get that much out of them while being able to keep egt's under control.

I know the ECO uses the Bosch high pressure fuel pump so should be able to support more fueling but I would about bet that the injectors are at their limits with the current tuning.

I know the block is pretty stout on these engines but don't know much about the internals of it and how much more they can handle power wise.

If I did decide to do a little build on one it would probably just consist of bigger turbo, injectors and good custom tuning. I believe with these three elements it would be sweet ride.

I really just love diesels period haha. I regret getting rid of my last Cummins. I mean I love my hemi it's a damn good running truck but I've drove diesels most of my life and like they say old habits are hard to break.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I figured that tuners had the turbo at max. I was actually surprised that they were able to get that much out of them while being able to keep egt's under control.

I know the ECO uses the Bosch high pressure fuel pump so should be able to support more fueling but I would about bet that the injectors are at their limits with the current tuning.

I know the block is pretty stout on these engines but don't know much about the internals of it and how much more they can handle power wise.

If I did decide to do a little build on one it would probably just consist of bigger turbo, injectors and good custom tuning. I believe with these three elements it would be sweet ride.

There a few guys that put their EcoD through some serious workouts using the GDE Hot tune, one of them post on here from time to time VernDiesel. He tows TT from coast to coast for a living with his. He is over 300K miles most of which are towing 7K-8K lbs, the truck is stock other that the GDE Hot tune. The guys at GDE do some serious amounts of R&D with their tunes, even taking the trucks up the Davis Dam.

Even Banks Power is offering a version of the VM engine: http://bankspower.com/magazines/show/668-Banks-Diesel-V6

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There a few guys that put their EcoD through some serious workouts using the GDE Hot tune, one of them post on here from time to time VernDiesel. He tows TT from coast to coast for a living with his. He is over 300K miles most of which are towing 7K-8K lbs, the truck is stock other that the GDE Hot tune. The guys at GDE do some serious amounts of R&D with their tunes, even taking the trucks up the Davis Dam.

Even Banks Power is offering a version of the VM engine: Banks Power | Banks Diesel V6

I appreciate the info. I had been thinking of doing this for a while but never dug to deep into it the idea. I have no doubts these are stout engines.

I will defiantly check out their tuning if I every find a deal on a used ECO. The only reason I won't buy a new one is I would be voiding the warranty almost immediately.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
They're quite fun now! :)

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They're quite fun now! :)

I agree. I miss mine badly. I had lots of fun building that truck and it was a blast to drive. Nothing like the feeling of 1100 ft/lbs of torque hitting the ground. Damn thing could pull my house off the foundation and felt like driving a 8000lb rocket lol.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can get 1100 lb ft of torque out of the Eco, l want to hear all about it.

I am from Jasper Indiana, home of Jasper Engine exchange. I know a few guys that work there. They will go to a junkyard, and find an old Cummins. (they buy them just for the core) They take those old Cummins with 300,000 miles on it, and put it on the dyno, and the old Cummins is still making serious power. I don't own a Cummins Engine. But, l own stock in the company!

The guy that has 300,000 miles out of his tuned Eco, certainly got his money's worth.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you can get 1100 lb ft of torque out of the Eco, l want to hear all about it.

I am from Jasper Indiana, home of Jasper Engine exchange. I know a few guys that work there. They will go to a junkyard, and find an old Cummins. (they buy them just for the core) They take those old Cummins with 300,000 miles on it, and put it on the dyno, and the old Cummins is still making serious power. I don't own a Cummins Engine. But, l own stock in the company!

The guy that has 300,000 miles out of his tuned Eco, certainly got his money's worth.

Haha no I'm don't think that would go to well for me or the ECO. I just think it would be a fun project to see what that little engine is capable of.

I do love the Cummins engine. It's reliable, stout and easy as hell to work on. I did pretty much every thing to mine just lying out in the driveway. I never had a chance put mine on the dyno but with the mods I had I was defiantly around 1100ft/lb if not more.

I plan on building up my Hemi some before I get into any other project. I said I was going to leave this truck stock but I have a bad itch that needs scratching. :naughty: