EcoDiesel oil brands

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
There's a lot of talk about which brand oils to use but my question is, if brand X let's say meets all FCA oil specs for the EcoDiesel than does it really matter the brand name? I'm bottom line would be the additive package in it am I right?

1) oil mist be full synthetic
2) oil must be ces 20081 api CJ-4
3) oil must be 5w40

Am i correct? If a brand meets all these specs would the brand name matter?

I am asking because I live in canada and our local parts shop is largely canadian tire. They have a motomaster formula 1 full synthetic diesel oil 5w40 which meets the ces20081 cj-4 specs. Also cheaper than the shell T6. What are your thoughts?

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
There's a lot of talk about which brand oils to use but my question is, if brand X let's say meets all FCA oil specs for the EcoDiesel than does it really matter the brand name? I'm bottom line would be the additive package in it am I right?

1) oil mist be full synthetic
2) oil must be ces 20081 api CJ-4
3) oil must be 5w40

Am i correct? If a brand meets all these specs would the brand name matter?

I am asking because I live in canada and our local parts shop is largely canadian tire. They have a motomaster formula 1 full synthetic diesel oil 5w40 which meets the ces20081 cj-4 specs. Also cheaper than the shell T6. What are your thoughts?

I can ask my diesel mechanic because on the flip side of that if it’s cheaper and I could get it in the states, I and he as well might be highly interested in that

OP
OP
F

futur49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I ask my local canadian tire and he said that it is rebadged shell T6. Shell makes their oil. Their diesel synthetic blend is rebadged rotella T4 and their full synthetic 5w40 is rebadged shell rotella T6 but is cheaper by the pale. I bought the 18.9L pale which costed me on speacial 107.99$ regular 126.99$. The T6 pale here is 157$ canadian. Great savings for me.