Ecodiesel Reability? 2014-2016?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I wanted one and decided it was worth trying. Bought a 2016 and everything's been great. From what I read online I got real worried. But another guy I work with bought one and loved it. So I went for it and couldn't be happier. Just remember most satisfied customers don't have a reason to go to a forum and post. Some people do have reasons and share them. But typically they're a vocal minority.

Tom Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 17 and have not had to take it back to dealer for anything except oil change. 40000 miles.

Dfjones77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have a 2016 eco diesel and after this latest recall installed my check engine light won’t turn off. It’s been to the dealership four times. They get it turned off but then it comes on again the next day. Anyone else experienced this?

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
I have a 2016 eco diesel and after this latest recall installed my check engine light won’t turn off. It’s been to the dealership four times. They get it turned off but then it comes on again the next day. Anyone else experienced this?
Whats it coming on for?

Dfjones77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
No idea. And apparently the dealership doesn’t know either. Gonna take it back again Monday ...fingers crossed

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you have paperwork from each visit? Being that it's a 16 is should be covered under the extended AEM warranty, make the dealer take it back, if not for having to bring it back so many times but also their service department are idiots.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
Truthfully one problem after the other, the engines have weak bottom ends and trouble prone components.

No fix yet for the latest failure'

Safety Recall VB1 - Diesel EGR Cooler - 2014-2019 Ram 1500

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2014-2019 Ram 1500 and 1500 Classic Pickup trucks equipped with 3.0L Eco Diesel engines. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) cooler may crack and allow pre-heated vaporized coolant to enter the EGR system. This mixture may combust inside the intake manifold.

Remedy
The remedy for this recall is still under development. The recall is expected to begin December 13, 2019. Owners may contact 1-Chrysler customer service at 800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is VB1.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just turned 101500 on mine and have had zero problems other than an egr cooler that was leaking when I bought it used with 30K miles on it. As you can see from my photo I tow my boat and load my truck for a trip every summer. I average between 15 and 18 mph towing and loaded depending on the direction of travel and the direction of the wind. Just made a trip to Florida without my boat, 2809 miles and round trip I averaged right at 24.85 mpg. total fuel used cost 306.79 for 113.04 gallons which was $0.109 per mile. How does the Hemi measure up to that with the price of gasoline about $0.30 per gallon cheaper?

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been waiting on a NOx sensor since early Augustin 2019. Told this past Friday part is still on backorder. I also had the engine go into limp mode with no warning, because it said the waste tank was full. My Eco-diesel spends more at the dealership than me driving it.

Last edited:

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My cousin just blew his engine at 100,800 miles. I think his is a 2017 and most of those miles are highway miles. Ecodiesel is a good idea in theory but not something I'd sign up for.

BassDaggett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Bought a new 2016, the 3.0 Diesel itself is pretty sweet. What isn't sweet is all the other parts hooked up to it. Premature front wheel bearing failures (I'm assuming because they weren't designed for the additional weight of a diesel???), DPF clamp issue, are some of the issues I've experienced.

Now I'm looking at a $2500 bill because the Oil Cooler took a dump inside my coolant... Need to replace Oil Cooler (if you can find one), heater coil, thermostat and flush entire coolant system.

Called RAM Customer Care (Seriously, what do they care about?), they started a case number and never bothered to call me back. I called multiple times over the course of several days talking with different employees along the way. Finally talked to someone who said, ohhh, I see they've denied your claim. No explanation, not a call, nothing. So I ask the nice lady if she would buy another vehicle from a company who's Customer Care Department didn't have the courtesy to even call back.... At that time a Supervisor / Manager jumps in (didn't even know he was listening on the phone) and says if it was under warranty we would cover it, otherwise its your bill. Didn't even try to be nice, just basically tried to RAM that up my back side.

RAM knows this engine has an oil cooler issue (and a number of other things), but they are more than happy to stick it to you if you are 1 mile over warranty. First and only RAM / Dodge / FCA / Whoever buys them next... product I will every own.

Casey Wheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should google this question, lots of them blowing up.
My 16 has been thru 1 turbo at 60k and then a complete new engine at 71k and now in shop at 89k for a new transmission. It is quickly making my 300k duramax look so much better.