Ecodiesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Do a search. Within the past year, there was a lengthy thread where someone put together a cost comparison using the ecodiesel against a Hemi. If my memory serves me, the break even point when all the additional maintenance and higher maintenance costs were considered, the break even point was north of 100K miles.

I was considering an ecodiesel but after reading about it, got the Pentastar with the 3.55 rear. I don't do heavy towing or hauling. It's a daily driver that I need to use as a truck some of the time. I love it and am pleased at the economy.

Get what you want. If it's all about saving money it's probably not a logical decision based on what I've read. The math just doesn't work. At least it didn't for me.

Alex_cad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
I owe 2015 Crew Cab Ecodiesel.
It currently has 100000kms or 60000 miles, love this truck.
I never had any issues with it, just regular maintenance.
It pulls my Lund 1800TYEE without any problem, and burns about 12 l/100kms - 19.5MPG

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I love my Eco. It's only been a year last September, but no issues at all with it. Love the mileage, and love the way it drives

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
19.5? Sounds low, is that imperial gallons? Or while towing?

I have to agree, if it's MPG you're looking for, the 3.6 is likely the way to go. Wish I could have found one I could afford, I'd have one now. Though I'd have preferred the 3.55 rear just for the towing capability.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Pentastar is the way to go. Get one with the 17 inch wheels and 3.55 gears. Best mileage I ever had was with non ethanol gas, going from Columbus, GA. to Kentucky. I got right at 25 mpg average. I usually average 22 to 23 driving back and forth to work 15 miles each day. All this is hand calculated, not the little lying computer.

Defuse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
My daily commute is 115 miles round trip and I haul / tow a little but not very frequently. Unloaded just driving to work and back in a mix of city / highway I average 24-25mpg. A few weeks ago I hauled a 5x8 U-Haul with about 2500lbs of stuff in it through AR and in to SW MO. Averaged about 19MPG. I have 3.92 gears also.

Get the ED if you want/do the following.

Drive a lot
Good fuel economy

Get the Hemi if you want/do the following

Don't drive very much
Think your truck is a race car.

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
I've been in and out of diesel for decades. Buy a diesel if you just want one or like the way they drive. Nothing wrong with that. Forget the money thing or any cost benefit as that can change every 6 months or with one unscheduled repair. You can try to use cost/benefit to rationalize the decision to your spouse, but you'd have to cook the books so it comes out to your benefit.

Obviously there are situations and use cases where the diesel has significant performance advantage. The eco diesel is used for years in a lot of different brands in Europe for one. Do they all have a history of spontaneous explosion, or just the North American models? I hated it when a leaky Cummins injector would destroy the engine pretty quick.
Can't be said much better then this... especially the spouse part and cooking the books, been there done that!

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
Do you plan on doing a lot of long driving? I was talking to a friend whom works at a dealership and (please correct me if I’m wrong) if you don’t drive them for long enough time frames you get a message on the screen saying you need to go for a 30-60 min drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's hogwash. I've had mine a year and a few months now. I ONLY drive around town for the most part. Short trips, a couple miles here and there constantly. I had t he "regeneration" message come up once, and it went out and said "Finished, drive normally" before I reached the highway which is only 3 miles down the road.

pdadams53

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I have a 2016 Eco 1500. It is not 4 wheel drive. I get 23-24 mpg city and as much as 29 on the highway. I bought new in January and drove to Washington DC in May. The only problem I have is an issue with the wipers and door locks. I have a Laramie and I love it. It has enough power when I take off it doesn't hesitates just goes. I love my truck

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I have a 2016 Eco 1500. It is not 4 wheel drive. I get 23-24 mpg city and as much as 29 on the highway. I bought new in January and drove to Washington DC in May. The only problem I have is an issue with the wipers and door locks. I have a Laramie and I love it. It has enough power when I take off it doesn't hesitates just goes. I love my truck

Whats up with the wipers and door locks?

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
more on how your going to use it / climate.

I didn't buy one because:
DEF freezes at -20 and the tank heater doesn't do a good job at those temps.
Short commute and old diesels don't like that, never mind the new ones.
VM made the liberty CRD diesel. Great engine, **** poor support at the dealer or anywhere. Do you want to drive it or do you need a hobby? The former solution was to learn to fix it yourself. VM's 3.0 L might have a similar future with a forum base being the only thing that keeps it running.

Other than that its all pluses. If I did buy one i'd buy a tune from GDE to fix the issues on regen messages that should be done from factory. They did wonders for the CRD's. But thats another 1200 bucks. Also has high idle option so your truck warms up.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I think few car dealers have the expertise to work on a diesel engine. It takes a real diesel mechanic to diagnose them and make the repairs. I'll stick with gas.

Machria

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Limited
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0
I think few car dealers have the expertise to work on a diesel engine. It takes a real diesel mechanic to diagnose them and make the repairs. I'll stick with gas.

There is almost no difference between the Ecodiesel and the Gasser. In fact, the gasser is actually way more complicated than the eco

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is almost no difference between the Ecodiesel and the Gasser. In fact, the gasser is actually way more complicated than the eco
I don’t buy that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

As someone who has had both I disagree. The emissions system required for the Eco diesel makes it way more complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk