Economical Upgrade to Stock 6 Speaker System: 2018 Big Horn UConnect 8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Don’t know if you opened the door yet, but the spacer won’t fit unless you cut the alignment tabs off the door skin. Literally takes 10 seconds per tab per door, there are 2 per door. So when you get ready have the dremel ready, you will tank me later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of said alignment tabs?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Disregard, two tabs on the bottom of the speaker opening on the inner door panel. got it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disregard, two tabs on the bottom of the speaker opening on the inner door panel. got it.

Did you have to remove them to fit the spacer and speaker

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Did you have to remove them to fit the spacer and speaker

Negative, still waiting on the damn 6x9's to show up.....emailed the company that I bought them through and haven't heard anything yet. Haven't done it yet. Just wanted to see what they looked like and watched one of the door panel removal videos and it showed where they are.

AustinHarmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
Have any of you guys tapped into rear speakers with a LOC? I bought the Rockville 10” and was wondering what the easiest way to do it was? I don’t want to pull my HU out. I have an 8.4 w/o alpine if that matters. Also i did buy the pioneers speakers that the op got

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Have any of you guys tapped into rear speakers with a LOC? I bought the Rockville 10” and was wondering what the easiest way to do it was? I don’t want to pull my HU out. I have an 8.4 w/o alpine if that matters. Also i did buy the pioneers speakers that the op got

I had Best Buy do my Rockville amp install but they told me they tapped into the rear speaker wires (note: wires, both R and L) at the wiring harness where it passes through to the rear door. They could have done it right at the speaker(s). I'm not sure. So you'd have to remove some interior molding to get at the wiring harness. I remember seeing photos of how others have done this here on this forum. You need to search for the threads. The LOC itself is positioned right near my Rockville amp behind the back seat.

AustinHarmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
Okay, thank you! I’ll have all my parts tomorrow and I’ll be tackling it this weekend

AustinHarmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
Got the Rockville in! Sounds great for what it is. And just so you know I was able to use the high inputs and not use a loc, geek squad just wanted more money from you lol

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Got the Rockville in! Sounds great for what it is.

Now you need to fine tune the bass response. Find a song with good dynamic range and some decent bass and "learn" how the song sounds in your truck. Then using a small phillips head screwdriver start adjusting the Gain control. Turn it all the way down and then incrementally turn it up a quarter of a revolution of the screw driver, listening for when distortion first occurs. Then back it off just a tiny bit. Then move on to the LPF (low pass filter), then Bass Boost and finally the subsonic filter. A description of these controls is in the user manual.

I thought my system sounded pretty good when I got it installed but after I tweaked these subwoofer settings it really sounded great.

And just so you know I was able to use the high inputs and not use a loc, geek squad just wanted more money from you lol

It's possible Geek Squad soaked me for an additional $14.95 for the LOC, but they did say the only reason they could think of why it needed a LOC was because it was a 2018 model year and had a different radio/head unit.

jackpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Got the Rockville in! Sounds great for what it is. And just so you know I was able to use the high inputs and not use a loc, geek squad just wanted more money from you lol

I'm going to try my hand at installing this sub. Where did you tap into the rear speakers (side panel)? Also, did you pull power from both right and left rears?

Thank you for your time.

AustinHarmon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
I'm going to try my hand at installing this sub. Where did you tap into the rear speakers (side panel)? Also, did you pull power from both right and left rears?

Thank you for your time.

Yes I tapped the speaker wire in the driver side b pillar only, and it has high level input, that’s how it turns on so no need for a LOC. It was a easy install. Sounds great for the price!

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those fit perfectly under the plastic covers on the dash, no cutting or finagling. I will say though that some ****** at the factory buggered up the alignment of one of the bolt holes so one of my screws on the driver's side went in at 30* and not straight up.

Just did mine the other night. I have one hole the same way lol.

OP
OP
PowrRam

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Just did mine the other night. I have one hole the same way lol.

Now that you mention it, I had the same thing. Can't remember which side it was on, maybe the drivers side.

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I tapped the speaker wire in the driver side b pillar only, and it has high level input, that’s how it turns on so no need for a LOC. It was a easy install. Sounds great for the price!

AustinHarmon,

Did you use both L & R rear channels? Does the drivers side B pillar have both rear speaker wires behind the cover? I bought the Kicker Hideaway and am either going under one of the front seats or on the floor, under the rear drivers side seat if possible. The Kicker gives the option of using a speaker wire for the remote turn on or using a 12v source (such as 12v power port etc), so I haven't decided which I'll do. Hoping the sub/amp arrives this weekend.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You'll love that Hideaway. I had one under my drivers seat of my RCSB 2011 for 3 years, perfect bass for what it is.

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll love that Hideaway. I had one under my drivers seat of my RCSB 2011 for 3 years, perfect bass for what it is.

Did you tap in to a 12v key on source or did the built in high level auto detect work well enough? Reading online I’ve heard mixed results with the auto detect.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
12v key on, tapped into a speaker.
Most all the Kicker amps can use hi-level input, no need for a LOC

Puba08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Attempting to install amp/sub/LOC this weekend. Just to confirm....both left and right rear door speaker wires can be accessed in the b pillar on the drivers side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

load97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v key on, tapped into a speaker.
Most all the Kicker amps can use hi-level input, no need for a LOC
How well does that detect the radio being on? Reading online I saw some posts that people complained it turned off periodically. Guessing maybe at quieter volumes there isn’t enough power on the speaker wires to sense?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
It would almost have to be off volumn...low volumn not an issue as long as it sees a signal.