Edelbrock supercharged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bpwarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Ive been looking into getting the edelbrock supercharger for my 2018 Ram 1500 (not anytime soon just looking at the moment). I currently have the Diablo sport pulsar installed on my truck. My question is when installing a supercharger is there a certain programmer or tune you need to install to not damage your engine? (Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been asked previously but I couldn’t find anything with this kind of information)

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have an Edge pulsar or a Diablo sport? The pulsar is not tuneable. And the diablo sport needs an unlocked pcm to work.

Not sure on the Edelbrock setup but some kits come with a tuner that has a baseline tune but you should get a custom tune after you go slap on a blower. You are going to want to do supporting mods like headers, intake, thermostat etc... So every truck is different and a baseline tune might not be safe for the engine or transmission.

Most of the guys I see running blowers make the switch to HP tuners these days. There are a handful of members here with Whipple's and Edelbrocks so hopefully they will chime in.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
Do you have an Edge pulsar or a Diablo sport? The pulsar is not tuneable. And the diablo sport needs an unlocked pcm to work.

Not sure on the Edelbrock setup but some kits come with a tuner that has a baseline tune but you should get a custom tune after you go slap on a blower. You are going to want to do supporting mods like headers, intake, thermostat etc... So every truck is different and a baseline tune might not be safe for the engine or transmission.

Most of the guys I see running blowers make the switch to HP tuners these days. There are a handful of members here with Whipple's and Edelbrocks so hopefully they will chime in.

Yes, you will definitely want a tune. 2018 with a Diablo and you're going to invest some funds in an unlocked PCM. Some setups are all inclusive and come with a base tune (whipple, pro-charger and some others) but I'd strongly suggest you lock into a good tuner (someone to help do your tune for you) and do a custom tune anyway. Too much can go wrong with the canned tunes that come with most of the out of the box setups and you want to know where things stand. I'd also strongly recommend a wideband O2 sensor and gauge, it will show you the fuel to air ratio and is vital information for your tuner so they can dial in a rich enough mixture to keep your cylinders cooled (no pre-ignition/detonation which is bad) but lean enough to not lose a lot of extra HP.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I have an edlebrock supercharger on my 2014.

I bought the truck used with 40k on it and I now have 51k.

The supercharger was installed when I purchased the truck and best I can tell from edlebrock based on manufacturer date the supercharger was installed around 36k miles.

I am the 3rd owner of the truck. 1st owner drove for 36k, traded, 2nd owner did a bunch of mods including the supercharger, then passed away from Covid.

I picked the truck up, at random and nearly freaked out when I raised the hood.

Now for the good stuff. The supercharger if installed according to manufacturer specifications has a water to air intercooler which holds down Temps. 2nd edlebrock's setup and in normal mode is limited to 5 psi boost. Track mode its around 8 psi. I run normal mode as I drive it daily in stop and go traffic.

The supercharger is instant power, spins up nicely and will melt the tires if you are so inclined. However if you drive easily its very streetable and the only issue I've had is in the rain, mostly due to the Goodyear SRAs, not power or the truck.

The tune supplied, works. It's not the best but it works. The transmission shifts perfectly and if you are so inclined will perform 6K shifts, if you are on the throttle. I have the 8 speed.

Daily driving mpg is 16 to 18, on the freeway its 25, with 3.92 gears and 22 tires. On 20s, freeway mileage drops to 22 to 23. Probably more a function of my resetting tire size than anything.

I drive 7 hours one way(approx 450 miles), on one tank of fuel. 26 gallon tank.

So, is it a decent deal, for 7k? Probably. You can get better. A Whipple for example. But you will most likely need to modify you engine as well. Potentially forged pistons, properly gapped rings, etc.

For 7k, it installs. It works, you can daily drive and even though I was told it would not last 10k, it's at approximately 15k, with no issues.

I ran it at the track. Got into the 11's. I've seen NA trucks do that, with less than 7K in a supercharger.

So take my experience for what it's worth. Nothing it's just 1 example.

If I was doing this from scratch, I'd probably install a torque storm, I think the entire set can be purchased and self installed for around 5.5K

One last comment to this long post. Edlebrock wants you to run stock TB, stock exhaust manifolds and stock muffler, so once you bolt the kit on you don't need anything else. I installed a boost and wide band A/F gauge. Neither was required but now I can see actual boost psi and afr.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bpwarner

bpwarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Awesome, thank you guys for the information. I’ve been looking into this for awhile but I feel like Everytime I start doing more research I’m just going deeper into a rabbit hole of others experience/thoughts and it starts to get a little confusing.
I think I have a lot more research to do before I jump the gun on this.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I have an edlebrock supercharger on my 2014.

I bought the truck used with 40k on it and I now have 51k.

The supercharger was installed when I purchased the truck and best I can tell from edlebrock based on manufacturer date the supercharger was installed around 36k miles.

I am the 3rd owner of the truck. 1st owner drove for 36k, traded, 2nd owner did a bunch of mods including the supercharger, then passed away from Covid.

I picked the truck up, at random and nearly freaked out when I raised the hood.

Now for the good stuff. The supercharger if installed according to manufacturer specifications has a water to air intercooler which holds down Temps. 2nd edlebrock's setup and in normal mode is limited to 5 psi boost. Track mode its around 8 psi. I run normal mode as I drive it daily in stop and go traffic.

The supercharger is instant power, spins up nicely and will melt the tires if you are so inclined. However if you drive easily its very streetable and the only issue I've had is in the rain, mostly due to the Goodyear SRAs, not power or the truck.

The tune supplied, works. It's not the best but it works. The transmission shifts perfectly and if you are so inclined will perform 6K shifts, if you are on the throttle. I have the 8 speed.

Daily driving mpg is 16 to 18, on the freeway its 25, with 3.92 gears and 22 tires. On 20s, freeway mileage drops to 22 to 23. Probably more a function of my resetting tire size than anything.

I drive 7 hours one way(approx 450 miles), on one tank of fuel. 26 gallon tank.

So, is it a decent deal, for 7k? Probably. You can get better. A Whipple for example. But you will most likely need to modify you engine as well. Potentially forged pistons, properly gapped rings, etc.

For 7k, it installs. It works, you can daily drive and even though I was told it would not last 10k, it's at approximately 15k, with no issues.

I ran it at the track. Got into the 11's. I've seen NA trucks do that, with less than 7K in a supercharger.

So take my experience for what it's worth. Nothing it's just 1 example.

If I was doing this from scratch, I'd probably install a torque storm, I think the entire set can be purchased and self installed for around 5.5K

One last comment to this long post. Edlebrock wants you to run stock TB, stock exhaust manifolds and stock muffler, so once you bolt the kit on you don't need anything else. I installed a boost and wide band A/F gauge. Neither was required but now I can see actual boost psi and afr.

Great response btw, good and insightful info.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the Edelbrock kits for your year require you to send in your ECM so they can unlock it and tune it
ALL 2015-Later Chrysler/Dodge Supercharger Systems will require the ECM to be sent in for modification.. HANDHELD PROGRAMMER NOT INCLUDED. This is an 8-10 day process/waiting period from the time they are received! Every step of the process is handled with next day shipping.

You can order it without the tune and then have a custom tuner tune your RAM but you will need a device to do so like a diablosport or whatever the preferred brand/device is for the custom tuner.

The Edelbrock kits are great. They are very good quality and use the TVS 2300 which builds power quick, good low end grunt. What is nice too is they make good power but a safe amount of power. They wont have your engine and trans on the ragged edge in terms of power limits.....a good tune is also key with that.

Let us know if you would like a quote on a kit. We offer them and can assist you with pricing or any questions you may have

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is just my 2 cents on Diablo sport tuners:

The Diablo tuner for my ProCharged 2013 Mustang malfunctioned. I updated it. No luck. I contacted ProCharger. No luck. I contacted Diablo Sport "tech support ". Now if you don't believe this next part, I don't blame you because it's so bizarre. I was told it was a MECHANICAL problem. He said my ProCharger was gummed up, and I needed to take it apart and clean it. I swear on my mothers grave.

The Procharger has been great. As has been stated, you can actually get better MPG with a SC because it helps your engine breath. (Better MPG is a cool trick, but you DO NOT come out ahead by spending thousands of dollars to save pennies)

I'll never buy another Diablo Sport anything, ever. Period

OP
OP
bpwarner

bpwarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Do you have any recommendations other than Diablo sport? And thank you for the heads up cause that sounds like a nightmare to deal with.

OP
OP
bpwarner

bpwarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
The Edelbrock kits are great. They are very good quality and use the TVS 2300 which builds power quick, good low end grunt. What is nice too is they make good power but a safe amount of power. They wont have your engine and trans on the ragged edge in terms of power limits.....a good tune is also key with that.

Let us know if you would like a quote on a kit. We offer them and can assist you with pricing or any questions you may have
Awesome thank you! When I actually get to the point I can afford it I’ll be sure to reach out. At this point I’m just researching.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thank you! When I actually get to the point I can afford it I’ll be sure to reach out. At this point I’m just researching.

Sounds good, let me know if you have any questions while you are researching and saving up.

The TVS2300 is a proven head unit. Edelbrock also does a great job with their kit to keep blower temps down which will give you more consistent and reliable power.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
Personally I went with Procharger I do LOVE it. (21k miles so far) But depending on what you are wanting and if I had not got such a GOOD deal on the Procharger I was going with the Whipple because it has better numbers than the rest out there. BUT I was ONLY looking at American made.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have any recommendations other than Diablo sport? And thank you for the heads up cause that sounds like a nightmare to deal with.

HP Tuners is what everyone uses now. Diablo sucks donkey balls.

HemiSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I worked with a DiabloSport for many years as that was what was available and my tuner preferred. I highly recommend you go HP Tuners instead. Send them your PCM. They will unlock it and send it back. Your tuner will be far happier and you will have transparency into what changes are made to the base calibration to support the supercharger (e.g. fuel trim, timing, shift points, etc...). You can also datalog with HP but it will require having a PC on board with you.

If you leave the truck largely stock (i.e. no forged parts) you do not have to mess with the cat's unless you choose to. I'd expect you'd be running in the order of 6-8psi to ensure you're not raising ring lands on the 5.7 and you'll be fine regarding back pressure. Of course you can go catless or high flow cats but that's up to you and not needed at these boost levels. Fuel availability might also dictate boost level (e.g. 93 octane best unless you want to go E85 which you won't need at that level and can be difficult to obtain depending on where you live...you'd also need roughly 30% more fuel so the fuel system upgrade would be more material and costly.

A good modern MOPAR tuner is well worth it and if you simply go bolt on blower at this level they will have many tunes for the application...you won't really need to go on the dyno unless you choose to. Remote tuning has worked for me very well with my TrackHawk...I run E85 and have the stock cats. Runs a 10.3 at ~135mph...no drama. The tuner was critical though as transmission tuning on the 8-speeds can be tricky...ask me how I know...LOL.

My recommendation is keep it simple. Enjoy the new found power. Don't get too carriesd away unless you have some higher goals for the track. You'll enjoy your truck more.

HS

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I worked with a DiabloSport for many years as that was what was available and my tuner preferred. I highly recommend you go HP Tuners instead. Send them your PCM. They will unlock it and send it back. Your tuner will be far happier and you will have transparency into what changes are made to the base calibration to support the supercharger (e.g. fuel trim, timing, shift points, etc...). You can also datalog with HP but it will require having a PC on board with you.

If you leave the truck largely stock (i.e. no forged parts) you do not have to mess with the cat's unless you choose to. I'd expect you'd be running in the order of 6-8psi to ensure you're not raising ring lands on the 5.7 and you'll be fine regarding back pressure. Of course you can go catless or high flow cats but that's up to you and not needed at these boost levels. Fuel availability might also dictate boost level (e.g. 93 octane best unless you want to go E85 which you won't need at that level and can be difficult to obtain depending on where you live...you'd also need roughly 30% more fuel so the fuel system upgrade would be more material and costly.

A good modern MOPAR tuner is well worth it and if you simply go bolt on blower at this level they will have many tunes for the application...you won't really need to go on the dyno unless you choose to. Remote tuning has worked for me very well with my TrackHawk...I run E85 and have the stock cats. Runs a 10.3 at ~135mph...no drama. The tuner was critical though as transmission tuning on the 8-speeds can be tricky...ask me how I know...LOL.

My recommendation is keep it simple. Enjoy the new found power. Don't get too carriesd away unless you have some higher goals for the track. You'll enjoy your truck more.

HS
I'm guessing at least upper and lower pulleys and ported blower plus really good air to get a Track Hawk into the mid to low 10's.lol

OP
OP
bpwarner

bpwarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

HS
Does HP tuners have in cab tuners like the Diablo has the trinity and predator? That’s pretty much the main reason I was looking into them is for that feature. But after reading a few of y’all say that Diablo sports is terrible I’m gonna cross that off my list for sure.

OP
OP
bpwarner

bpwarner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Also if it’s not too much trouble for anyone could you send me a link to the HP tuner you are running? And what all you needed to change/purchase to run it.

hdoggie24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does everyone prefer the Whipple over the Edelbrock? Seems like Whipple gets the vote usually but also many say you need to upgrade many internals for it. If the Edelbrock runs safer and possibly cooler, then I really like that. I don't want to upgrade a bunch of other things. Would like to be able to bolt one one on and feel comfortable about not blowing anything. Just wanted people's opinion about that.

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also if it’s not too much trouble for anyone could you send me a link to the HP tuner you are running? And what all you needed to change/purchase to run it.
Hpt sends u an interface cable that connects your laptop to the obd port in your car then u download the software from there website.. you can go now download there trial version take a look at it before u buy