Edge Pulsar questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. Just about to order my Pulsar but I’m confused about something. I see a lot of guys talking about how great it is to adjust power levels on the fly, and a lot of guys seem to be running the PC in conjunction with the Pulsar. That would be me as well as I already have one on the truck and I love it.

My question is, if you adjust the Pulsar on the fly, it doesn’t have any affect on the PC correct? It shouldn’t I’m thinking but I know if you try to change the PC on the fly it will throw all sorts of codes from what I’ve read.

And I would only be interested in running it on level 7/8. From what I’ve read a good PC combo setting is about City +4. Is that still an accurate statement? I know everyone’s feel of the pedal is subjective but just want a good starting point.

And fuel requirements. 91 fuel around here is tough to find and very expensive. Anyone running level 7/8 on 89 octane who can share their experiences?

Lastly has anyone done anything to make the removal of the PCM cables easier like spray them with silicone or done anything to water tight the edge unit.

Thanks guys

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So now I hear the Pulsar does not turn off MDS. Is that true?

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
I recently got a custom tune, tuner said MDs was not disabled, I believe pulsar “tricks” the cpu with throttle inputs. Had a cat-back exhaust & never heard the MDs come on, I feel that it does work, but not truly disabled. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I ordered it. Have read a lot more positive than negative so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it works out.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its not a real tuner. dont waste your money.

justprentice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I recently got a custom tune, tuner said MDs was not disabled, I believe pulsar “tricks” the cpu with throttle inputs. Had a cat-back exhaust & never heard the MDs come on, I feel that it does work, but not truly disabled. Hope this helps.

I definitely can't hear my MDS kick on/off since installing the tuner. I just installed my Pulsar two days ago and bought from Edge directly, because of the issues I see happening with the older module styles. My housing is a completely different housing (2016 1500 Rebel 5.7L)

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had Pulsar and Pedal Commander, had PC first. After getting the Pulsar I felt no need for the PC anymore so I sold it. I guess if you want super fine control ability its worth having both, but the Pulsar in level 8 (Perf mode) definitely gets rid of any lag and it drives just like with the PC. I also have a Carven and if I put the Pulsar in no mds mode you do not hear MDS kicking on or off no matter how you drive so to me it seems to be actually turned off. If I put the Pulsar in MDS On you will definitely easily hear it kicking on an off.

I like the Pulsar a lot def adds power and driveablity. Sure a custom tune would be better but its simple to install, cheaper, and easy. Also nice when I hook up a trailer to switch to haul mode in 2 clicks.

Also Edge support is great. I had one issue with mine where it stopped reading completely. They responded to my email in like literally 5 minutes and I had a new Pulsar like 2 days later.

atreides

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Pulsar in its MDS Off modes automatically switches the gearbox to (-8+) so MDS remains off without the need for the throttle to be blipped.

I wouldn't run 87 with the performance modes. You could try it and see if your motor pre-detonates... But I personally wouldn't risk it.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Canned " performance modes " ... lol....

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes from my experience. I sent it back and still awaiting refund. If I dont get it soon I will take legal action. Its a third party that ships it so its f,ed up. but I have a 2020. may work with your old ass truck....LOLOL