EGR Cooler Recall Status

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blahargoue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Just thought I'd put out a quick update on this recall. I received my 3rd notice from Ram about the recall on my 17 Laramie. The last two advised my that parts are available and to arrange for repairs. I have been putting off for a while now so I called my dealer, Elk Grove Ram in CA.

I had to laugh when I spoke to my service Rep. She said she wished that RAM never put out a mailer saying replacement parts are available. She said they are receiving 1 repair kit per dealer per week. She said they have 450 on back order just at their dealership. They are currently only taking in vehicles with failed EGR coolers and anticipate not having enough parts to complete the recall for at least another year or so. She said if she would bump me up to the top of list if mine fails.

I called a couple of other dealers in my area and got the same story.

Oh well.... no sign of trouble yet so I guess I'll put another 70k miles on it before it gets repaired.

David66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
eco deisel
I think I just had my egr housing crack. I have a 2016 1500 that was having overheating issues, also cabin heating problems. Took it to a repair guy, he said I was low on coolant. I thought that was strange as I've never seen a puddle or anything. All was well for a month until I started having the same issues. This time I took it to the dealer and they said it is probably the egr problem.
Thank the LORD it is covered by the recall, otherwise you're talking $2,000.00 +++ in repairs.

DaClown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Eco Diesel
I am in the same boat as the OP. Received notice from FCA for the EGR recall. Dealership said last February that they would call me when the parts were available. They told me they were starting with the 2014's and working their way up through the years. So, assuming maybe they forgot to call me after 10 months, I called them since I am due for my 36K service. Nope. They are also going with the "we only get one repair kit per week" excuse. I will be lucky if I hear anything before 2022 to get this issue dealt with. Unless of course my EGR fails and my truck burns to the ground, then apparently they will be able to bump me up the queue.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Hopefully you or anyone else is not seriously injured or killed when the truck burns to the ground. I understand supply chain issues can be a ***** and COVID is not helping. The risk they are assuming on this issue must make their lawyers more nervous than a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Not sure which debacle is worse, this or the 2500 drag link issue.

JEFF MANN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ECODIESEL
I've been on the "list" since early July, that's when I decided to tune the truck & turn off the EGR to eliminate or at least cut down on the thermal shock.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I usually trade in my Rams when the warranty has about 3 months left on it.
My current Ram is a 2016 ecodiesel & i only was allowed to have a 7 year warranty.

I factory ordered it in November 2015 & received it in January 2016.
So i think my warranty is good until January 2023

I think that i better put my name on the list for a replacement EGR Cooler.

In 2009 i went through a recall on the 2009 Dodge Ram HEMI,
that time it was for Manifold bolts. The dealers were only given 1 set of bolts a week, i waited a very long time & the dealership finally went to a Bolt Supply warehouse & bought a gross of them

Steel MPG Saver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Well there must not be a lot of Eco's here in Northern VA. I went in to have a state inspection (which they failed to do), oil change (brought my own oil and filter) and the tailgate recall. They said they had the replacement parts in stock and kept the truck overnight. Next day I picked it up and it ran like crap and the CEL popped up the next morning (after they tried to charge me $76 for the oil filter that I provided). Took it to a different dealer and they cleared the codes and they haven't returned. Mileage dropped to 20 MPG city/hwy from the 23 I was getting before the updated cooler.

Alli

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My EGR was replaced about 1 1/2 ago after years of trouble with it. Not sure if mine is affected?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I am in the same boat as the OP. Received notice from FCA for the EGR recall. Dealership said last February that they would call me when the parts were available. They told me they were starting with the 2014's and working their way up through the years. So, assuming maybe they forgot to call me after 10 months, I called them since I am due for my 36K service. Nope. They are also going with the "we only get one repair kit per week" excuse. I will be lucky if I hear anything before 2022 to get this issue dealt with. Unless of course my EGR fails and my truck burns to the ground, then apparently they will be able to bump me up the queue.

So sorry to hear this! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and dealer name?

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I was going through my to do list today and found the recall notice and it reminded me that the dealer I had been dealing with (bought the truck used so no particular loyalty) hadn't called me to schedule. I called Ram at the number on the recall letter and got a very nice and competent woman that called dealerships in my area until she found one that can do it in 2 weeks. I am absolutely amazed! I am going past that dealership tomorrow and will hopefully finalize the appointment. I'll post a follow up after the visit.
Canyon

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My EGR was replaced about 1 1/2 ago after years of trouble with it. Not sure if mine is affected?

Hi, we can check! Send us a PM with your VIN.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

CGNaveng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0L
I am an active duty military member and purchased my 2018 eco diesel new in Washington state and was transferred to Florida. I’ve called the local dealership here in Panama City and was told the same story as others here. Still haven’t gotten the recall done and no word on when parts will be available to complete it. Very frustrating. Love my truck not impressed with Ram on the response to perform the recall. I also call the number on the recall notification, my third one, and was told parts are few and had to get. But when they become available I’ll receive a call. It’s been two years now.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not sure if there is a bunch of dealers giving the run around but had my EGR cooler replaced in May, it took the dealer about three days to get the part. I had some other recalls done which is when they ordered the EGR cooler. I scheduled an appointment the following week and it was completed in one day.

Dan38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
Same issue as some others. I've got a 17 Eco I bought new and have tried 4 times to get the recall done over the past year or so and every time I was told "no parts available, we'll order them and call you when they come in" Guess what, not one call back. Recent attempt #4 was last week, said they'd reschedule me when parts come in. Meanwhile, My truck can't be driven, "service throttle control" light on, CEL on with an egr code, and losing coolant. Very frustrated at this point.

Dan38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
I cannot get this recall done at any of my local dealers. They all say the same thing, "no parts available". I guess it's time to talk to my attorney.