Eibach Pro-Truck Lift Rear Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello,

I installed the Eibach Pro Lift on my 2014 Outdoorsman 1500 back in August or so an I have been please overall. I do have a question for others that have the rear springs on their trucks regarding the ride quality when going over speed bumps or other large bumps in the road.

When I go over speed bumps there is a very noticeable, what I can only describe as a feeling of oscillation, in the suspension that lasts for a second or two after going over the bump. Sometimes I feel like this is happening on roads where there are bumps or dips spaced out but I typically hit another one which I believe interrupts the oscillation and starts it over. Normal driving is smooth and better than the ride was with the worn out shocks.

A couple of days after I installed the rear springs and before I noticed this issue on speed bumps, I drove slowly, about 5 mph, on a washboard road for a couple of miles to drive down to a lake. At that time I felt that the rear didn't feel very well planted but I don't drive on washboard roads very frequently so I haven't gotten a chance to do a better test.

Has anyone else noticed this with Eibach or any other brand of coil spring or after a change in shocks? Any ideas on what could be causing this and what to look into? I called Eibach but was told it was likely the experience of a slightly stiffer spring, I don't believe that to be the case though since the feeling in the suspension carries on for a second or two, it is not just a stiff hit and rebound. I do still have the factory rear coils that I could put on to see if it is an issue with shocks or is isolated to the springs.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the lift significantly changed the angle of your track bar you can get a little bit of side-to-side wobble when you hit a bump. Mine was only really noticeable if I was going around a corner at enough speed to matter (curved highway, curved highway on-ramp, etc) and then the suspension was disturbed in the middle of the curve (big expansion joint, etc)

OP
OP
Zeak

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the lift significantly changed the angle of your track bar you can get a little bit of side-to-side wobble when you hit a bump. Mine was only really noticeable if I was going around a corner at enough speed to matter (curved highway, curved highway on-ramp, etc) and then the suspension was disturbed in the middle of the curve (big expansion joint, etc)
As advertised the spring only gives an inch of lift but I got a little less than that. I have a fiberglass topper on the truck as well so my rear is most likely near or just below factory height.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
As advertised the spring only gives an inch of lift but I got a little less than that. I have a fiberglass topper on the truck as well so my rear is most likely near or just below factory height.
Did you do the eibach rear shocks as well?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Eibach coils too, but on Bilstein 5100 shocks (front and rear) - however my RCSB Tradesman weighs ~20% less than a four door truck so the amount of lift and the ride are not really comparable.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I haven’t got that feedback on them. I have a pap cap on my truck and I felt the extra weight stiffened up the tail. Can you post some pictures maybe we’ll be able to see if something is out of wack. I take it that with the oem coils and shocks it was not doing it

OP
OP
Zeak

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven’t got that feedback on them. I have a pap cap on my truck and I felt the extra weight stiffened up the tail. Can you post some pictures maybe we’ll be able to see if something is out of wack. I take it that with the oem coils and shocks it was not doing it
This is the picture of the passenger side when I finished the shocks and springs.

31ACA766-ACFF-4A8A-9B4B-1B93C0C184D8.jpeg
25668A9A-18A2-49FC-8E65-0DA02A031A1C.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
This is the picture of the passenger side when I finished the shocks and springs.

View attachment 480864
View attachment 480865
I would flip your shock so the body is on top. I’m not 100% and eibach is closed until next week for confirmation but normally when there are strange issues like yours, flipping the shocks fixes it

OP
OP
Zeak

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll give that a try, it may be a week or two though. Thanks.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only flip the shock if the writing is upside down. Look at the sticker that says eibach. It should be installed so it is right side up. I have the eibach springs with bilstein 5100 and installed adjustable track bar to better center my axle. Some of your side to side may be the track bar and off center axles location in the arc of the axles motion causing you to feel more of the side to side motion due to the way the suspension is sitting. Carli sells a track bar drop bracket if your rear track bar is far enough off level. I did not use it on mine because my bar is not to far off in my opinion. Also a thought. What is your front suspension set at? Did you install longer front and rear sway bar links to properly align you sway bars? The vehicle being taller does raise your center of gravity which will change the characteristics of how the vehicle handles as well.

Attachments

• C08D2345-B5F7-4C62-9BD3-C4787A544F74.jpeg
    C08D2345-B5F7-4C62-9BD3-C4787A544F74.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Zeak

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the input. I don't feel like the handling or sway has been affected and with the little bit of extra weight I have on the rear I think the rear ride height is probably right around stock. I would think the cap and few things I have in the bed would squat it the inch that I got from the coils.

The biggest thing I notice is just when going over speed bumps with the possibility of the same sort of oscillation under certain road conditions as noted in my initial post. I think I will try flipping the shocks, that's an easy enough process. Can shock bolts be installed too tight I wonder and would that cause any type of issue?

For the front I have the Eibach struts and coils set on the bottom ring, everything else is stock. I barely got 2 inches out of it and I may move to the 2nd ring when I need new tires to see what I get. I may upgrade control arms at that time to. There's not really a need to do all that and I'll most likely just go from 285/70/17 to 285/75/17 tires so I have room already. I still wouldn't mind another 1/2 inch or so though so I may try it out.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Only flip the shock if the writing is upside down. Look at the sticker that says eibach. It should be installed so it is right side up. I have the eibach springs with bilstein 5100 and installed adjustable track bar to better center my axle. Some of your side to side may be the track bar and off center axles location in the arc of the axles motion causing you to feel more of the side to side motion due to the way the suspension is sitting. Carli sells a track bar drop bracket if your rear track bar is far enough off level. I did not use it on mine because my bar is not to far off in my opinion. Also a thought. What is your front suspension set at? Did you install longer front and rear sway bar links to properly align you sway bars? The vehicle being taller does raise your center of gravity which will change the characteristics of how the vehicle handles as well.
Im pretty sure the sticker is sideways on them. The words are for coil spring orientation im not sure if they carry that over to the shocks or not. A lot of guys mount the fox upside down and when we flip them their odd problems go way. Same with bilstein and a number of others

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im pretty sure the sticker is sideways on them. The words are for coil spring orientation im not sure if they carry that over to the shocks or not. A lot of guys mount the fox upside down and when we flip them their odd problems go way. Same with bilstein and a number of others
My bilstein 5100 mount can down. My 5160 mount can up. The labels on the bilstein are directional. Interesting about the eibach shocks being sideways stickers and their install info says 0 about the proper orientation as well.

OP
OP
Zeak

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think the Eibach shocks have stickers at all. I do believe the installation instructions specify the shock body in the upper position but every other shock I have installed was the opposite, and this is how I installed these. Maybe swapping them will make the difference.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok, I had this issue when I had mixed Bilstien and Eibach. Once I switch it all to Eibach it went away. I now have all Eibach front & rear (coils and their shocks).
Side not, my shocks in rear are reverse facing than yours.

OP
OP
Zeak

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I had this issue when I had mixed Bilstien and Eibach. Once I switch it all to Eibach it went away. I now have all Eibach front & rear (coils and their shocks).
Side not, my shocks in rear are reverse facing than yours.
Thanks, hopefully switching the shocks will solve the issue.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks, hopefully switching the shocks will solve the issue.
If not, you will have to swap the Bils out for the Eibach shocks. When I pushed on the Bils vs the Eibach they were different on how they reacted.

OP
OP
Zeak

Zeak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If not, you will have to swap the Bils out for the Eibach shocks. When I pushed on the Bils vs the Eibach they were different on how they reacted.
I have all Eibach. I got the Eibach Pro kit, 2 struts, 2 shocks, 4 coil springs.