Eight speed Diablo tuning predictions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was thinking that while we wait lets discuss what we expect to get.

I think Diablo can and has ben able to safely control the shift points for the 8 speed for over a year. that's not the challenge. the challenge is to give us the same control at home, which is what we want.

Sure I can use the buttons and raise the RPM limit and shift myself, but well that just sucks, especially compared to the auto stick in my car.

Not a tremendous amount of decisions to be made from the user end as far as shift points etc, ill get back to that in a few:

I went thru a period of time with no raised shift points with my 08 dodge as they changed the TCM can bus or something, and it took Diablo about an additional year to release the TCM/ shift points etc. tuning.

As a refresher, based on my experience with the Predator tuner, when the Tranny "tuning" is released, we will probably have to put the truck back to stock, then update the tool to get the new features, then remarry and tune it again. We may also have to do a CALID update to the truck, if its available, which will mean any CMR tune will unusable. We will have to send our new factory backup to our CMR tuner for a new CMR tune that matches.
So IF your heavily modified, you may want to plan on some downtime, and definatly start this on a Monday. IM not 100% on if the IT2/ trinity has to be unmarried to update it ..perhaps not...that would be nice, just take it out of your truck and plug it into your laptop and let it update, then go set your shift points.

In my case, I had a cam and TC etc., but was able to drive around on the 93 CAI tune, after raising the idle. Had a CEL for my removed EGR valve. The next day I had a new CMR tune that matched my new factory.
And NO you cannot just change the file name to match. It is tempting as the only thing that changes on the new factory backup is the last letter, E.G. upgrading from a B to an H . Johan told me " yeah don't do that , bad things will happen if you do."

So if no CALID update then it should be pretty straight forward, update tool, raise shift points.

Trannies.....I believe there are 3 different ones, based on TQ rating. Cant remember for sure, to lazy to look it up right now, might be full of ****.

IM sure we will have increased firmness.....which MAY I say MAY conflict with some CMR tunes like Hemifever's. If it does I 'm sure we will know ahead of time. I'm about 100% sure Ill get an e-mail form Sean IF its relevant.

SO shift points.....I predict they will offer it up to the three different 8 speeds in stages, probably starting with the chargers and challengers R/ts and SRT8s. Hellcats which I think have a higher TQ rating Tranny / RPMs etc. , I predict they will come out right after.
Now our trucks...IDK which TQ rating model we have, but I think based on demand, out tuning will come out next , followed by the V-6 models which again, I think have a lower tq rating.

For our 5.7 trucks, 1500...my thought on choices that will be available are:

Raised

Which is the same as my charger, minus the 6200.

It might be nice to have more control say 50 or 100 RPM increments and individual gear shift points, but for the majority of people ( customers) , I think they just want to tune it and drive it. Keeping it simple yet effective for the end user is going to compete with added features/ more control.

Raised: vague I know, but pretty good if you have a stock or slightly modified engine . Stock 1-2 is about 5400-5500 and the rest seem to be about 5600, although I have not datalogged and checked.

raised would probably be about 5500-5600 for the 1-2 and the rest about 5800k

In all other settings the 1-2 is always less by 200-400 RPMS, and the gap seems to widen as you move up to the higher shift points.
Granted all of this is based on my car s tuning and the NAG-1 tranny, but I'm just starting a conversation here, to keep us occupied.

6k basically just raises the shift point another 200 RPMs

I probably wont go past that, as with my build, I'm not gonna gain anything out past 6k.

Its not just the raised shift point I am after, its the added benefit of the fact that the truck will shift INTO the next gear to a point considerably higher in the TQ curve.

for you crazy folks with cams and TC etc. that warrant it well there's 6200 and 6400.

The best way I know of to pick ( without using your ego) is to run a dyno, which you really aught to do if your doing the above plus headwork boost N20 etc. Note your Peak HP, which probably wont be a peak, but a nice long curve, with a plateau, and set your shift point 500 RPMs past that.

I actually think that a lot of trucks with a cam/ light head work will have peak HP around 5800, which will mean 6300 would be the ideal setting, and Diablo doesn't do odd numbers so ...off to the track you go to find out if 6200 or 6400 is the right setting.

It just so happens that my car makes peak HP at 5900 and 6400 works great for me.

Again I'm just starting a conversation.

Be interesting for those who know to post up what is available for the 6 speed/other Rams

Yes I am aware of other tuners for our truck, other than Diablo, not attempting to shut the out I simply have very limited experience with them.

Using up a little time so I can stop looking at that 73 SS NOVA I want to by me for Xmas.

What do youse guys/ You all think, esp. you , pull ya? Yeah you.

And that Hemifever guy, I bet he is AT Diablo right now helping them with this project.

Or maybe I just wish it were so.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
so with this right up about the 8 speed ,do you know something we dont know? last i heard (couple weeks ago) they werent that close. they can read and write it but havent cracked the code

tuned by Jay Greene

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I don't. Last post form MIKEL on diablo sight was 13 DEC " nothing to report just yet"

I'm hopeful and optimistic but I don't have any INFO, everything I state was my opinion or based on my experience

So when its available, what will you be setting your truck at?

My PB is a couple 13.9s, 98 MPH I've got an updated tune since then...with shift points I think it may be possible for me to run a 13.7/13/8 @ I hope 100 MPH.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i wont be setting mine. jay greene will be setting mine to whatever he thinks is right.

tuned by Jay Greene

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
ive neen keeping up with it on diablo as you can see and other places. my guess is that a seperate tcm would be very pricey . i wouldnt expect anything anytime soon .

tuned by Jay Greene

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rupert. Paragraph 3. Wouldnt it be about 1000X less complicated to get over the "it just sucks" part?

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ive neen keeping up with it on diablo as you can see and other places. my guess is that a seperate tcm would be very pricey . i wouldnt expect anything anytime soon .

tuned by Jay Greene

I am referring to current configuration: IDK if my 2014has a separate TCM or if its integral to the PCM
I read some info about this, maybe something about the "new generation controller" from Dodge but can't remember .

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rupert. Paragraph 3. Wouldnt it be about 1000X less complicated to get over the "it just sucks" part?[/QUOTE

HAHA. Maybe with more practice I could get better at it, but the buttons are cumbersome.

In my car my shift points are set at 6400, which is consistent for racing. However with autostick I can go as high as 6767RPM,which is great for burnouts and fun stuff. The auto stick itself is much better for shifting, you move the shifter to the limit and it shifts, repeat when ready.

The Button ( not buttonS I only need to upshift) is just that and small. Initially I hit the (+) button for the Cruise control by mistake, as the auto stick has a + sign....years of that thinking messed me up.

SOOOO, what I'd like is set shift points for WOT which is coming and still retaining what we have, raised rev limit with the buttons, which we will keep.

I just want to hammer down at the track street and know It will shift at the points I set, and be able to use the buttons for other exiting events, in which I might exceed the shift point on purpose.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adjusting the shift points per gear would be excellent. Also the tuners would need more access to the trans side of torque management. These two things will be a game changer :)