Electric fan conversion help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Does anyone know how or have done the conversion from clutch to electric fan? How did you go about doing it? What parts did you use, how much did it cost? I want to do it, and I want to do it right. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
If you're looking for a complete kit then FFDynamics is pretty good. Here's the link: Fan Kit

If you're okay with piecing your own stuff together then you can go the Grand Cherokee fan route. The GC fan is around $100 and moves near 4000CFM. The fan is 19" and draws a lot less than the famous Taurus and Lincoln fans, plus its Mopar. You can reuse the stock shroud and seal the gap around the fan for maximum efficiency. This way it'll cover the whole radiator and pull that heat right off. Besides the fan you'll need a good relay kit that could run $40-100 depending on the quality. I plan to go this route.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I wouldn't mind going the Jeep route, but I don't want to start messing with the electrical part of it, and end up burning my motor because I don't know what I'm doing lol.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Bbartow is that sale price for everything? Also I heard when converting to electric, that it's a good idea to swap radiators to the diesel engine radiator.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you're looking for a complete kit then FFDynamics is pretty good. Here's the link: Fan Kit

If you're okay with piecing your own stuff together then you can go the Grand Cherokee fan route. The GC fan is around $100 and moves near 4000CFM. The fan is 19" and draws a lot less than the famous Taurus and Lincoln fans, plus its Mopar. You can reuse the stock shroud and seal the gap around the fan for maximum efficiency. This way it'll cover the whole radiator and pull that heat right off. Besides the fan you'll need a good relay kit that could run $40-100 depending on the quality. I plan to go this route.
You had better do a write up when you do it. :whip:
Bbartow is that sale price for everything? Also I heard when converting to electric, that it's a good idea to swap radiators to the diesel engine radiator.

Can't say I've heard that before, but the stock V8 rad is just fine.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Dd94. I read something about the radiator swap on a different forum. I'll get a link for the write up later.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum

Yes it is. Its a very nice kit and would be even better with a custom shroud.

As for swapping radiators, I see no reason to. The stock radiator is fine, but if you do feel like upgrading I would replace it with an all aluminum radiator.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I see so radiator swap isn't necessary. I was just quoting what I read. Lack of knowledge made me ask. Lol

robbwill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
BBartow, what year grand? Does it matter?

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Ok, old post, I know, but I have a little extra spending money, and I want to knock this conversion out of the way. Seeing as how much it benefits the engine, why not, right? So, does anyone know which GC I should get the fan out of? And which relay kit do I need? Do I need any type of heat sensor that will tell the fan when to kick on and off?

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Oh, BBartow, you said I can use my stock fan shroud, or a stock shroud from a GC? Also deleting the clutch fan, will I have to downsize my belt being that I'm eliminating the pulley for the stock fan?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
The GC fan is a recall fan. You either have to buy it at a dealership or search for a 00-02 V8 GC that has the recall fan. P# is CBG4F250. The price for a new one has gone up a lot. When the conversion was popular they were only $50, when I first looked into it they were $112, and last time I spoke to the dealer they were $189. So I threw out my idea unless I find a cheap used one.

Most relay kits have a sending unit included, either probe or threaded. Just look for one that has good wiring, adjustable in your temp. range, and has A/C override. The fan pulls 37amps at start up, then drops to 25 so plan accordingly.

The fan is 19" so I would use our stock shroud and seal the gap between the edges of the fan and the shroud. You want to make sure all the air you're pulling is coming from the radiator and not ambient air around the fan.

You don't have to downsize your belt. The belt is on the water pump, not your fan clutch. Only thing you have to do is remove the fan and fan clutch.

All this being said. By the time you buy everything you're spending close to $270. You can buy kits for that much. Not worth it anymore imo. I'm planning on buying the FFDynamics kit. $275 for a complete kit and great quality at that. Here's a link: Fan Kit

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
That kit is pretty damn nice. What about a shroud though? This kit is a lot cheaper than some of the others I've seen. Looks like everything is included too.?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
That kit is pretty damn nice. What about a shroud though? This kit is a lot cheaper than some of the others I've seen. Looks like everything is included too.?

It doesn't come with a shroud so you would have to fab your own overflow and wiper holders. I have a universal overflow from Autozone and zipties holding the wiper fluid tank to the core support. Some guys have ordered the custom shroud from TCP separate for $150. Besides that everything is included.

OP
OP
tommyboi87

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I'll have to check put their shroud. Didn't even notice that. Did you already do the conversion?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
My truck had e-fans when I bought it, but both the fan motors are pretty shot and need to be replaced. I have a push/pull setup that runs at 100%. Keeps it cool but not at all efficient. It probably robs the same amount of power as the mech fan does.