Electrical problem!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannyrae88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.8
Hello guys/gals!

So…have. 2015 Ram 1500 with the 5.7

About a month ago, I was driving down the road, then the brake light,CEL, ABS, and Traction control lights came on, as well as TPMS showing proper readings then starts to flash and only shows dashes. In addition, the rear camera doesn’t show the guide lines when reversing. I also lost my speedometer and odometer. If I shut the truck off for about 10 minutes and turn it back on, the lights will disappear. I’ll drive a couple of blocks then the symptoms reappear.

When I hook up my scanner, I get the following codes:

U11BC
U1110
U1120
P0456
P0441
P0457

My messages on the dash say:

Service ABS system
Service electronic braking system

Things I’ve done since symptoms appeared:

Replaced battery
Replaced front-driver wheel sensor
Battery posts are clean

I’ve been checking different harnesses, scanning wires to the best of my ability but can’t seem to find any breaks in the wires. I’ve checked resistance values on all wheel sensors and the harnesses to both ends and all check out fine.

Oreillys says it’s my ABS module, however, I don’t experience any symptoms associated with that such as loss of braking, brakes locking up, etc. Maybe one of the inner solenoides is making contact with another, temporarily shorting it out?

My next guess is the negative battery cable.

Any help, advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can ignore the P codes, they all relate to the EVAP system. The U codes are set in the PCM which complains that it doesn't receive certain data. That could be the ABS module itself but also a communication problem. It would help to have a scan tool that can talk to individual modules and see what errors they have. It would also allow to test the brake switch (which nowadays are two redundant switches) as this is the one code that sticks out to me.

OP
OP
D

dannyrae88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.8
Hmm. I have read that the brake switch has been the culprit to many problems alike. I messed with it too, harness plug in and all, with no luck. But, could still be a faulty switch if it’s not sending correct signal. The evap codes came along when all this happened. My fuel fill neck is currently being held to the frame via bungee cord at the moment. Unsure how it happened but went to fuel up, inserted the nozzle and there she went. I’m assuming that might be playing a factor in the evap issue. Out of curiosity, I looked at the surrounding area and noticed wiring running from the neck section to the rear of the truck. Not sure if I have an open/short within that area. I’ll have to look at it over the weekend.

What boggles me is the tpms. I thought the sensors ran off the RF hub? When I checked it out, I only saw wiring to the antenna on the roof, not on the chasis.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you checked wiring to the ABS module for corrosion or rodent-chewed wires? Anything out of the norm? Also the ABS fuses too in case there is corrosion or a fuse has 'worked' up. Those are easy enough to inspect before going deeper into the ABS module issue

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Harness connectors, make sure they're seated, etc.

Take a look at your grounds as well, bad ones have been known to cause lots of funkiness.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a scanner which shows real-time data, you can sit there an apply and let up off the brake pedal a bunch of times and see if you get a brake switch that doesn't make. That's what I did and eventually I had a few "no-go's" on mine ...but it wasn't flaking out every time. Just once in a while. I guess if it were me, and you don't find anything else or bad-looking connectors ...and it were my pickup, I would do the following before buying a new ABS modulator:

1) Replace the brake switch because they're not that expensive ...and installing one is a 5 min job. Keep the old one as an emergency spare.

2) Be real sure none of the remaining wheel sensors are flaky ...nor the wiring (or connectors) are flaky. Usually on electronics it's the connectors or wiring that's bad, or a small part. Sometimes, even though a shop changed a module, and it worked afterwards ...it could just as well been a bad connection, but it paired up right with the new module (cleaner connections) ...and you'd never know it. But there have been a number of guys who've had the modules need replacing ..so maybe they heat up too much.

3) With a 'good' scanner you can go into the ABS module and command certain ABS things to go on. You probably don't have such a scanner, but maybe Alfa-OBD can do that (I'm not sure). That should help zero in on what is and isn't happening.

4) Just make sure your grounds are good and clean ...and your battery passes a load test. These Rams get silly when the batteries are just below 'good'. Seen it myself with me own eyes. :)

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
If they're not Mopar sensors the CANBUS may not communicate well with them, even if voltage shows good.

JJRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ABS module has been out for about 2 years now, no parts till 2023 Mopar says. Not only does it knock out the brakes anti-skid, but it also takes out the cruise control. China has a hold on us. The brakes work just fine but it is a hassle to maintain your speed on the interstate. How many more out there are waiting for this ABS module?

OP
OP
D

dannyrae88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.8
Hey all, I know I haven't updated in awhile since I posted but that's because I am stubborn and refused to go-to the stealership.

I finally resolved my issue!

I ended up finding a) bare wires that were running against the frame, close to the harness close to driver wheel well b) also had a broken wire, which I ended up soldering back together. The rubbing wires ended up shorting out my abs mod. Picked one up at a junkyard for $70, and used alfaobd to get it going. The nightmare is finally over! I appreciate all the input yall gave me!!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks a ton for sharing the fix . Glad you was able to locate the problems.