Electrical rear window upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram, is this the wiring? If so, looks like it is available in my Express. I just gotta check the overhead console now.

View attachment 228793

View attachment 228794
I had to install a factory mopar repair connector on mine because the wiring was not present but that does look like the factory connector. I have had the back seat out of several Express/Tradesman trucks and none have had the wiring. They were earlier trucks from 13 to 16 so I'm not sure if possibly they changed the harness in the later years. Those appear to be the correct tan/brown and yan/orange wires so I think your good. If you actually have to connector for the switch on the overhead console your truck will be the first I have seen that does which is good news for others who may want to install the power slider.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had to install a factory mopar repair connector on mine because the wiring was not present but that does look like the factory connector. I have had the back seat out of several Express/Tradesman trucks and none have had the wiring. They were earlier trucks from 13 to 16 so I'm not sure if possibly they changed the harness in the later years. Those appear to be the correct tan/brown and yan/orange wires so I think your good. If you actually have to connector for the switch on the overhead console your truck will be the first I have seen that does which is good news for others who may want to install the power slider.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Now I’m really starting to wonder if the 2019s were built with leftover parts! Might just be a Classic thing, or maybe just a later 4th gen thing, who knows. I’m gonna pull the overhead console tomorrow and take a look around (not looking forward to it as I feel like I’m gonna break something). Weird thing is I already pulled it before to add homelink buttons and I didn’t notice anything. But then again, I wasn’t looking either. I assume if I have the wiring on one end it will be there on the other end since it is one harness. That will be nice since I already have the switch when I bought the console for the homelink.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram, sorry one last question. Do you know if the factory connector would be more toward the drivers side set the headliner? I just wanna make sure I don’t miss it if I don’t see it right away.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram, sorry one last question. Do you know if the factory connector would be more toward the drivers side set the headliner? I just wanna make sure I don’t miss it if I don’t see it right away.
You should be able to pull the wiring down far enough to see if it's there once you get the console down. To the best of my knowledge the wiring runs directly from the connector for the switch to the connector for the window motor which means if you have the connector on one side you should theoretically have it on the other. It should be a square red 6 pin connector with 5 wires. Once you pull the wires down try to get your hands up in the hole to see if you can feel the connector. If you remove the A pillar covers and the sun visors you will be able to pull the headliner down far enough to see if the connector is possibly taped off somewhere to the headliner. If you do end up having all the wiring and decide to add the power slider all you need to do is install it and it should work. There are no codes that need to be enabled in order for it to work.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, no such luck. Pulled down the front of the headliner, couldn’t find the wiring anywhere. Pulled the back seat again and the full passenger side C pillar and found that the wiring terminates at a connector in the upper section of the C pillar:(. Only good it’s gonna do me is the fact that I have the connector and some wiring to work with. This is a future project so I’ll deal with it at a later time.

385B6A97-FB62-446D-BD70-DFA3BF466FA1.jpeg

55CE6A00-785D-474A-9A17-43D4E4F5A3AB.jpeg

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gonna be tackling this upgrade in the future. For now I’ve been doing some research and I believe I have found the correct connector and terminals for the window switch. Even though I already have the switch and a pigtail, I ordered the parts to confirm. I also ordered the correct color wiring as I am going to attempt to build a harness for my ‘19 Crew Cab without any splices.

I just need to confirm a few things in my C-pillars. My truck might be a little different then most as I already have the window motor and wiring to the passenger C-pillar connector. If everything pans out, my harness will just need to connect into the driver (ign on/run & ground) and passenger (power +, power -, and illum) side C-pillar connectors and I’ll be good to go.

A3CB8C34-401B-4978-99C6-672C5D07C61C.jpeg

2488F0CF-69B0-46D7-AA1F-B387F9E963AF.jpeg

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for anyone that might know. What is the difference in wiring, if any, between the power sliders with and without defrost?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question for anyone that might know. What is the difference in wiring, if any, between the power sliders with and without defrost?
The actual wiring for the switch is the same so if your not planning on trying to add the heated rear window you're good to go. The heated window connector attaches in a different location. I didn't I install the heated power slider so I'm not exactly clear where it connects but I'm assuming it's on the edge of the glass. Another thing I wanted to mention is in the factory configuration the slider switch actually works backwards. The window moves the opposite way you press the switch. I'm not sure why they did it that way buy I wired mine backwards on purpose so the switch moves the window the same way I press the switch. Just a personal preference but I prefer it that way.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The actual wiring for the switch is the same so if your not planning on trying to add the heated rear window you're good to go. The heated window connector attaches in a different location. I didn't I install the heated power slider so I'm not exactly clear where it connects but I'm assuming it's on the edge of the glass. Another thing I wanted to mention is in the factory configuration the slider switch actually works backwards. The window moves the opposite way you press the switch. I'm not sure why they did it that way buy I wired mine backwards on purpose so the switch moves the window the same way I press the switch. Just a personal preference but I prefer it that way.

thanks Rick, looks like I’m gonna need to do some research on the wiring for the defroster. I live in New England so it would be very helpful to have that.

I saw on previous posts about the switch, I was gonna do the same thing. Not sure when I’m gonna get around to doing this, gotta find a window and somehow convince my wife it was cheap, haha.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got some some parts in today, found the red connector (except mine isn’t red) but struck out on the terminals. I thought I had the right ones but they are way to big. Back to the drawing board on that one. Just hoping to find all the parts to make an nice harness from scratch. I know I can use what I have already and make one it’s just my OCD kicking in.

5FCE27B7-77C8-4AA0-B2CE-B2F1246097B7.jpeg

1D52B17B-33EE-46D7-AC37-7572061D2AE3.jpeg

66D6499B-9371-46FB-9E4F-97F38FA7AFF6.jpeg

35D83160-A31F-4F93-978B-907A790692AA.jpeg

C4A8E7DD-7705-499D-B146-CDDB351895EC.jpeg

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Got some some parts in today, found the red connector (except mine isn’t red) but struck out on the terminals. I thought I had the right ones but they are way to big. Back to the drawing board on that one. Just hoping to find all the parts to make an nice harness from scratch. I know I can use what I have already and make one it’s just my OCD kicking in.

View attachment 234540

View attachment 234542

View attachment 234543

View attachment 234544

View attachment 234545

What's the PN for that black connector?
A lot of people have been trying to source that for awhile.

M² Mods.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the PN for that black connector?
A lot of people have been trying to source that for awhile.

M² Mods.

I know, that’s why I looked so hard to find it. Not sure it’s gonna do any good without the terminals but it is a Mercedes Benz part. I ordered it from a Benz dealer.

027-545-64-28 or
A0275456428 or
A 027 545 64 28

I believe these are the correct TE/AMP terminals but you can’t get them anywhere in a small quantity.

967233-2

I think I finally found a Mercedes Benz part number for them which I have ordered but I have to wait until they arrive before I can confirm if they are correct.

Last edited:

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram, had some time today to work on my harness, it should be ready to go for when I finally pull the trigger and buy a window and have it installed. I moved the back seat to get access to the C pillars so I could take a good look at what I had. Turns out, the wiring and connectors for the rear defrost are already there! Was an awesome find so now I don’t have to worry about that.

I have the the Power + and - as well as the Illumintion (I believe) all in the passenger C pillar so I built my harness to connect there. Then I have the IGN On/Run in the drivers side c pillar just like you did. The ground there was already taken (again just like yours) so I’m going to run my ground wire to the ground located by the front drivers side door under the dash. And I’m gonna run the IGN On/Run to the location in the drivers side C pillar.

I might be able to reproduce these harnesses in the spring (depending on if I can get the parts) for anyone who wants to do this mod. I’ll have to wait and see if I can get my hands on everything needed.

Passenger side defroster connector
4AFE0506-FFEA-4150-8B8F-08C3E1918806.jpeg
Driver side defroster connector
94B65D81-A5C5-418B-BCD5-0DE68FD1688D.jpeg
Driver side C pillar connector
3B24C08D-7906-47BC-A743-1D1E0CD1DDFA.jpeg
Passenger side C pillar connector
8C419C53-8381-4942-AC21-34C0676150E0.jpeg
Harness I built
523A70E6-13B6-4585-9AF4-7BDA0F81C06C.jpeg

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's awesome that you had a lot of the wiring. My truck had a little of it but not as much as yours. I have had a few trucks apart and it seems to be totally hit and miss as to how much they have. I think the earlier years seem to have less and also a lot depends on trim level and options.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can’t wait to get this one done. One of these days when I don’t have much going on I’ll probably run all the wiring and install the overhead switch. Then it will just be a matter of getting the window installed and connecting it up.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Ricks Ram, so even though I am months away from installing the window, I decided to install my harness today. I got worries at one point as it looked like the harness was to small but it ended up being perfect. True plug and play.

I ran the ground down the driver side A pillar, there is a body ground kind of near your left foot. I ran the ign on/run wire to the driver side C-pillar. I actually had two pink with yellow tracer wires that were open to pin to. One large terminal and one small terminal, I pinned mine with a small terminal. I then ran the remaining 3 wires to the passenger C-pillar. I confirmed I did in fact have the illumination wire available there. I switched the power + and - at the switch connector so when I pinned them to the C-pillar I matched them up. Everything looks good but without a window the only thing I could actually confirm was the illumination worked but at least now all I have left to do is just drop the window in and connect the motor and defrost. I like that I truely didn’t have to splice into any wiring. Can’t wait to get the window installed! I didn’t take a pic after I pinned to the driver side C-pillar but here is one of the passenger side.

65A24686-1548-4B71-AB76-48B0FDAD0311.jpeg

79BEB19E-4DF3-4821-84CB-DC4C9B253B72.jpeg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! I don't use mine every day but I definitely like it when I do and I like the way it looks. It's funny, some guys that have the power slider say they never use it and would prefer the solid glass and those of us that have the solid glass want the slider. Looks like you're pretty much ready to go once you get the window installed.

DoughRat19

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropped the truck off today to have a glass guy swap out the windows for me. I’ll be picking the truck up tomorrow! He called me after the install and even connected the window up and tested it and said it’s working! I’ll drop a couple before and after pictures tomorrow once I get the truck back! Thanks to @Ricks Ram, another successful mod completed on my ‘19 Express.

Last edited:

mike_dani

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On the red overhead connector does anyone have the pin out diagram? As I see reading this thread there are 5 pins used. Ignition power in, ground, illumination, and two supply wires going to the window motor. I would like to know what pins or wire colors are what?