Enabling 5th Gen 1500 (2019+ DT) Cargo Camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magnus59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've seen the thread, and videos, on enabling the Cargo camera on a 2018 Ram 1500, including the mystery surrounding waiting for the Camera icon to actually show up on the head unit (Uconnect 8.4). The same AlfaOBD options exist for 2020, so I started with the ones shown there: (a) Veh Config 1 - CHMSL Camera; (b) CBC Features - LED CHMSL Lamp Present. I did a hard reset by disconnecting and reconnecting power. I made several drive cycles over the next 24+ hours, and made sure the truck was locked and the key fob away from the vehicle between drives (a precaution based on Z Automotive instructions for their Jeep Wrangler front camera kit). I also made sure a camera was connected (to Uconnect pins 21 and 22) and powered during those drives (just in case it would refuse to enable unless it saw a video signal). The Cargo camera icon never showed up. I then went back into AlfaOBD and verified those changes read back as being on. I then scoured through the AlfaOBD options and found (c) Cust.Set.Menu 1 - CHMSL Line CSM Present (which I turned on) and (d) CBCConfig I/O - Stop Lamp CHMSL Feed Present - pin 31. That last one sounds intriguing because the pinout I have shows pin 31 as RVC Cam+. Does RVC stand for Rear View Camera? But the rear view camera comes in on the Red FACRA connector doesn't it? Is this maybe a no longer used input for non-Coax camera feeds? Beats me, but I left that setting off. In any event that didn't help and so I'm still stuck. I had no problem getting my Trailer Brake controller functions enabled but getting the Cargo Camera enabled has me beat. Has anyone managed this on the 5th gen?

2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel
Uconnect 8.4 (non-Nav version - God I hope that doesn't make a difference)
All these kinds of mods were soooo much easier on my 2010 Ram.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've seen the thread, and videos, on enabling the Cargo camera on a 2018 Ram 1500, including the mystery surrounding waiting for the Camera icon to actually show up on the head unit (Uconnect 8.4). The same AlfaOBD options exist for 2020, so I started with the ones shown there: (a) Veh Config 1 - CHMSL Camera; (b) CBC Features - LED CHMSL Lamp Present. I did a hard reset by disconnecting and reconnecting power. I made several drive cycles over the next 24+ hours, and made sure the truck was locked and the key fob away from the vehicle between drives (a precaution based on Z Automotive instructions for their Jeep Wrangler front camera kit). I also made sure a camera was connected (to Uconnect pins 21 and 22) and powered during those drives (just in case it would refuse to enable unless it saw a video signal). The Cargo camera icon never showed up. I then went back into AlfaOBD and verified those changes read back as being on. I then scoured through the AlfaOBD options and found (c) Cust.Set.Menu 1 - CHMSL Line CSM Present (which I turned on) and (d) CBCConfig I/O - Stop Lamp CHMSL Feed Present - pin 31. That last one sounds intriguing because the pinout I have shows pin 31 as RVC Cam+. Does RVC stand for Rear View Camera? But the rear view camera comes in on the Red FACRA connector doesn't it? Is this maybe a no longer used input for non-Coax camera feeds? Beats me, but I left that setting off. In any event that didn't help and so I'm still stuck. I had no problem getting my Trailer Brake controller functions enabled but getting the Cargo Camera enabled has me beat. Has anyone managed this on the 5th gen?

2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel
Uconnect 8.4 (non-Nav version - God I hope that doesn't make a difference)
All these kinds of mods were soooo much easier on my 2010 Ram.
Unfortunately, the 8.4 no-nav radio for the 2019+ 1500 DT won’t display the cargo cam soft key.

OP
OP
M

magnus59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Thanks so much for that Jimmy07. Crap, that was some hours wasted (a fair portion finding the proper pins for the Uconnect). Really long shot, but any chance it'll still display the camera and there is another way to switch the display (other than the missing on-screen icon)? I guess I can go back to the idea of hacking into the reverse camera feed but I'll need an analog to digital camera interface (I just found one based on Raspberry Pi). I guess I didn't mention it above but I'm wanting to be able to switch to the back camera of an RV. There's always the option of connecting to a WiFi reverse camera with my phone but that seems like such a shame when there's already a perfectly good display in the dash. Not to mention I already have a non-wireless camera set up. Sigh.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately, the 8.4 no-nav radio for the 2019+ 1500 DT won’t display the cargo cam soft key.

Hey,

I am looking to enable the cargo camera on my 2020 1500, but have a question for the people that have already done this or are in the know. When you put the truck in reverse are you able to select the cargo camera still? Does the cargo camera stay active until you put the truck in drive or does it default back to the reverse camera after a few seconds?

I am looking to enable the cargo camera as an input for a trailer back up camera but wanted to make sure that the cargo camera says active when selected.

I have the 8.4" nav radio

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, you can bring up the cargo camera while in reverse, and it will stay that way until you put it in drive.
Depending on radio version (and I know 2022 UC5 is like this), the cargo camera may stay on when you put it in drive (to make forward adjustments), but will revert back to rear camera when you put it in reverse again, at which point you will have to select the cargo camera again.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, you can bring up the cargo camera while in reverse, and it will stay that way until you put it in drive.
Depending on radio version (and I know 2022 UC5 is like this), the cargo camera may stay on when you put it in drive (to make forward adjustments), but will revert back to rear camera when you put it in reverse again, at which point you will have to select the cargo camera again.
Thanks Jimmy, appreciate the answer.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Jimmy,

I enabled the cargo camera option and waited the night but haven’t seen anything yet for the cargo cam option.

I have a 2020 ram 1500, 8.4 nav with the latest software version 40, my truck has 360 cam though. I don’t see any wires located in the slots for a six cam 1 or 2. Do you think this will work for me?

Attachments

• IMG_6389.jpeg
    IMG_6389.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6390.jpeg
    IMG_6390.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6391.jpeg
    IMG_6391.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20230509-203251.jpeg
    Screenshot_20230509-203251.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 13

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey Jimmy,

I enabled the cargo camera option and waited the night but haven’t seen anything yet for the cargo cam option.

I have a 2020 ram 1500, 8.4 nav with the latest software version 40, my truck has 360 cam though. I don’t see any wires located in the slots for a six cam 1 or 2. Do you think this will work for me?
It’s a configuration conflict with surround view on the 1500s. The cargo camera soft key might eventually show up in the controls menu, but it won’t do anything.
Being a 2020, there’s nothing you can do to get it to work with having the surround view system. If it was a 2021+, you’d be able to work around it by enabling the aux trailer cameras.

EdmontonRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Sport (DT)
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s a configuration conflict with surround view on the 1500s. The cargo camera soft key might eventually show up in the controls menu, but it won’t do anything.
Being a 2020, there’s nothing you can do to get it to work with having the surround view system. If it was a 2021+, you’d be able to work around it by enabling the aux trailer cameras.
Ah damn it… well thanks for getting back to me and being the resident expert. I appreciate your assistance. Have a great week