End of an era

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramtuf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like Ram is finally discontinuing the regular cab short bed pick up from its line up. I had a feeling this day was coming sooner than later. Now I am really glad I bought my hydro blue 2022. Hopefully this news will help the value of my truck long term. I don’t plan on selling it. Probably my last new truck especially with these crazy inflated prices.

Attachments

• B8233376-4DDA-48BD-8D8C-2890AAEEB0FB.png
    B8233376-4DDA-48BD-8D8C-2890AAEEB0FB.png
    344.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 525F807C-B823-4715-A22C-4AD04BD15132.jpeg
    525F807C-B823-4715-A22C-4AD04BD15132.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 90067975-01D2-4D84-BBA1-8AC1161F67D6.png
    90067975-01D2-4D84-BBA1-8AC1161F67D6.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 37

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
Hopefully this news will help the value of my truck long term.
No, it won't. They are cancelling them because they have gone out of style and nobody is buying them. (I love them, BTW) To the others that say it's a "cost cutting measure", that makes no sense. If they sold them, it would be a profit cutting measure and companies don't do that. We all like to feel sentimental about things, but when those things stop being profitable to make, companies stop making them...It's that simple. Maybe one day it'll come back...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Uh, dude, I worked in the configurable product biz for 22 years. It's a cost cutting measure. They've done this with other options, with more to come. They still make a profit, but not as.much as a % of revenue. It's all about the ROI, not the gross profit.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
"They are cancelling them because they have gone out of style and nobody is buying them."
100% correct. I worked in the motor vehicle industry for 45 years. The only reason a model is discontinued is poor sales. It's rare that a vehicle sells well all through the product life cycle. Vehicle model/option packages are tracked closely during that cycle. All eventually experience sales volume drop off. We Americans are a fickle bunch. We need "new" all the time or we get distracted by another brand. Manufacturers have lots of people working hard to ensure you stay engaged with their brand. Ram/FCA/Stellantis does that as good as anyone.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In the short term probably won't impact it too much. It will definitely help resale value ....IF you hang onto it long enough. Eventually it'll become a classic and the common 4dr trucks will all have been crushed and recycled into Chinese rebar. Prices generally are higher on low production vehicles and short boxes and 2-drs always win in terms of classics.

Trends change, and 4dr trucks will be 'grandpa trucks'. Remember when every 3rd vehicle was a minivan? And station wagons used to roam the earth in huge numbers?

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The Ford Taurus was doing pretty well I thought when Ford stopped making sedans.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They may have cancelled them because they're not popular but that's still likely to help the value of his truck. There are definitely people that want them even if it's a smaller number than other configurations. Plus, that Hydro Blue version is really nice!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Guys who haven't driven RC pickups in a while may be surprised that the Ram RC has about 12-13" of room behind the seat, with the seat quite a ways back (less as the seat tapers upward). That's WAY more available space than RC pickups had in the 80-90's and early 00's, where the space behind the seat wasn't of much use at all. There's plenty of room to stow bags of merchandise or groceries, and the plastic try in the Ram is designed to hold gallon-sized containers (milk/water, etc). So, there's more utility in the cab than was the case on 'classic' RC pickups.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Guys who haven't driven RC pickups in a while may be surprised that the Ram RC has about 12-13" of room behind the seat, with the seat quite a ways back (less as the seat tapers upward). That's WAY more available space than RC pickups had in the 80-90's and early 00's, where the space behind the seat wasn't of much use at all. There's plenty of room to stow bags of merchandise or groceries, and the plastic try in the Ram is designed to hold gallon-sized containers (milk/water, etc). So, there's more utility in the cab than was the case on 'classic' RC pickups.

That's absolutely true, I still love my Ram RCLB. Plenty of room on the back shelf for groceries, or for extra tools, plus I can lay the seat back to take a nap if I want to. My old 2000 F150 regular cab had very little room behind the seat, and the 2018 RC F150s I looked at had even less it seemed.

I purchased the Ram as a personal and work truck, and it's worked out great. I do like the look of the RCSB too, but most folks that want a play/personal truck want the extended cab with short bed.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to say what Chrylser's long-range plans are. Yes, sales of RCSB tks are low, and yes, the RCSB takes a unique frame only to that vehicle. But it's entirely possible Ram is intending a bigger strategy to introduce an "All NEW" 2024 or 2025 'hot' (sporty) Gen-5 RCSB or all electric sport (super-quick) truck, sort of like Chevy did back in the 90's with the 454 SS, to generate a lot of Gen-5 buzz. Then use that momentum to shift all cab formats to Gen 5 (only) prouction.

I mean, Ford is getting a lot of buzz over the Lightning. Perhaps Ram, rather than take on the Lightning head-to-head, or Hummer with deep-off-road capability, is thinking to unveil something like an all-electrick Lil' Red Truck of the 2020's. A lightning-quick head-turning 4-second 0-60 electric RCSB pickup. That might be an interesting strategy to get news buzz and free advertising to launch a new electric truck line-up.

And trends DO change. Maybe Ram's research indicates the next generation of truck buyer are more interested in better fuel economy and less interested in 4-dr mega-truckasaurus'?? (they keep getting larger! LOL)

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
No body takes a Regular Cab Long Bed truck to a car show,
unless it has a 4 Sale sign in the window

I watched part of the New York Car Show this morning

If the grilles get any larger, they will have to wrap around the sides

The representatives from Stellantis, did not once refer to their products or themselves as Stellantis.
They kept saying ' We at Chrysler ' .....

For all the years in the past, the NHTSA & other safety associations & groups have pushed to keep the drivers eyes on the road using the windshield & mirrors.

Now the whole dash board, from "A" pillar to other "A" pillar is all electronic display on many vehicles. Talk about distractions !!

Now some Mini Vans have 3 row heated seating & almost look like stretch limos

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
While that is true, it's still not enough room for a medium-sized or larger canine.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
We Americans are a fickle bunch. We need "new" all the time or we get distracted by another brand.

Yep.

My wife wanted that new Hyundia Santa Cruz pickup and they never had one in stock. They were sold before they got there, can't keep up.

She ended up getting a Subaru Wilderness.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I remember several years back, Ford discontinued the regular cab short bed truck. Only options were extended cab or 4 door cab. Well, now Ford is once again making a rcsb pickup. Could happen with the Ram.