Engine 5.7 hemi problem camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Currently got mine in the shop waiting for a new cam, lifters, and gasket. 4K for the job, but extended warranty covers it so I'll try and ride that wave for a while...

I'm not really surprised considering it already had 110k miles when I got it. Used vehicles will need something replaced, no matter the make or model.
Hi, do you mind sharing who's your extended warranty provider? How's dealing with them so far? Thx

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi, do you mind sharing who's your extended warranty provider? How's dealing with them so far? Thx

It's through Carite, a used car dealership with locations in MI, NY, FL, TN, and some others. Besides the first couple misleading phone calls (one person saying plugs and coils are covered and one saying they're not), they're pretty good. I was expecting them to fly a person out here to inspect the damage in person, but apparently not. So definitely makes for a little faster repair. They'll even offer you a rental car for a maximum of 10 days, but the price of that will be taken out of the repairs being made, so I just decided to drive the gf's haha.

My truck had 110k+ miles when I bought it so I imagined something would be wrong with it. I knew used cars usually don't come with a warranty, but I was able to get a "silver" 6 year/60,000 mile warranty that covers the engine (Internally), transmission, 4x4, power steering, from suspension, brakes, seals, gaskets, AC, electrical, etc.

Will give updates whenever I get her out of the shop. Fingers crossed.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
It's through Carite, a used car dealership with locations in MI, NY, FL, TN, and some others. Besides the first couple misleading phone calls (one person saying plugs and coils are covered and one saying they're not), they're pretty good. I was expecting them to fly a person out here to inspect the damage in person, but apparently not. So definitely makes for a little faster repair. They'll even offer you a rental car for a maximum of 10 days, but the price of that will be taken out of the repairs being made, so I just decided to drive the gf's haha.

My truck had 110k+ miles when I bought it so I imagined something would be wrong with it. I knew used cars usually don't come with a warranty, but I was able to get a "silver" 6 year/60,000 mile warranty that covers the engine (Internally), transmission, 4x4, power steering, from suspension, brakes, seals, gaskets, AC, electrical, etc.

Will give updates whenever I get her out of the shop. Fingers crossed.
I'm always very suspicious about the extended warranty companies as typically they'll do everything possible not to pay. Be ready for surprise... Did they ask you to provide all oil change records? Sometimes they'll say they the issue you're having is a pre existing condition as you didn't buy their warranty when truck was new..

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm always very suspicious about the extended warranty companies as typically they'll do everything possible not to pay. Be ready for surprise... Did they ask you to provide all oil change records? Sometimes they'll say they the issue you're having is a pre existing condition as you didn't buy their warranty when truck was new..

Yeah it's hard to trust any of them these days. No surprises so far. Every 6 months or 6000 miles there is a checklist of things (Oil, Transmission fluid, power steering fluid, etc) they want me to do in order to keep the warranty valid, but I've only had the truck for a month and haven't even eclipsed 6000 miles so I haven't had the chance to do an oil change.

All they did was get the price from the dealership here on what needed to be repaired and they authorized it. Even the dealership was surprised they didn't want to have one of their people come out here to inspect everything.

Regardless I'm happy I didn't have to pay 4k for an almost 8 year old truck.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Yeah it's hard to trust any of them these days. No surprises so far. Every 6 months or 6000 miles there is a checklist of things (Oil, Transmission fluid, power steering fluid, etc) they want me to do in order to keep the warranty valid, but I've only had the truck for a month and haven't even eclipsed 6000 miles so I haven't had the chance to do an oil change.

All they did was get the price from the dealership here on what needed to be repaired and they authorized it. Even the dealership was surprised they didn't want to have one of their people come out here to inspect everything.

Regardless I'm happy I didn't have to pay 4k for an almost 8 year old truck.
That's unheard of.. Hope it works out well, but don't let your guard down until they actually pay the dealership! A surprise may come unexpected

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I kind of agree with Kap. Not often you come
out ahead of a warranty company. They’re in the business of taking money, not paying it out. Sounds like you got lucky.

Once someone at the warranty company realizes these trucks are a losing proposition, the cost is goin up.

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same problem with the hemi police cars. They are always loosing lifters and cams!

Really?!? That seems to indicate it's a lubrication problem. Since reading on other threads the cams seem to be splash lubed and police cars see tons of idling. I wonder if that's the issue, not enough oil is getting to the cams. Wish I could see a high res breakout and diagram to see how the cam is lubed. My 2018 has 13000kms on it and I'm quite paranoid about stuff like this.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I kind of agree with Kap. Not often you come
out ahead of a warranty company. They’re in the business of taking money, not paying it out. Sounds like you got lucky.

Once someone at the warranty company realizes these trucks are a losing proposition, the cost is goin up.

I'll take all the luck I can get at this point.

MileHighRam11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So after 17 days in the shop, I got the truck back. Turns out not only camshaft and lifters were going bad, but exhaust manifold bolts were as well, causing some leaks. In all $4400 was covered by warranty, leaving me with about $220. Not too shabby. It was definitely time consuming trying to get the dealer and warranty in contact with each other. The holidays certainly didn't help either.

Truck seems to be running fine with no engine codes (so far). A little more noise under the hood for sure. Not sure if that is because there's no exhaust manifold leak anymore or what. All in all glad to have the truck back and hopefully it behaves.

Zoner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For the record: 2013 5.7 hemi #3 misfiring 150k mi. I've also had to replace manifold bolts every 2.5 yrs. Debating new cam/lifters vs reman.
Only gonna keep it 1-2 yrs....can't sell it like this. My '04 Diesel was a tank, 400k....this things a rattle trap.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Same problem with the hemi police cars. They are always loosing lifters and cams!

Where I work, I’ve seen almost every 2013 Charger receive new cam and lifters. I think one has dodged the bullet so far, the first 2015 Charger in the fleet just got the tick at 75,000 miles. The Sheriff’s department here uses Rams as well, so far one truck has gotten the tick, it had 195,000 miles so it got a Jasper engine. We also have a 2011 model 2500 with 91,000 miles and a ton of idle hours, cylinder 3 had a lifter lock up and ruined the camshaft. This issue makes me severely paranoid about my own truck especially seeing this many failures up close.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Where I work, I’ve seen almost every 2013 Charger receive new cam and lifters. I think one has dodged the bullet so far, the first 2015 Charger in the fleet just got the tick at 75,000 miles. The Sheriff’s department here uses Rams as well, so far one truck has gotten the tick, it had 195,000 miles so it got a Jasper engine. We also have a 2011 model 2500 with 91,000 miles and a ton of idle hours, cylinder 3 had a lifter lock up and ruined the camshaft. This issue makes me severely paranoid about my own truck especially seeing this many failures up close.
It’s got to be the mds and maybe a oiling design problem with all the idling the cop cars do. He’ll there were days when some guys would only put 30 miles on the car a shift!

mghtymatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just had this come up on my Ram at 100k miles. I spoke with the Jasper rep who tells me that the factory 5.7 hemi is such a close tolerance engine that it was designed to use very thin oil. So the oil journals are machined very narrow because it was easier and faster to machine. Over time the delay in pumping the oil up to the top end of the motor through such a narrow passage causes premature wear on the lifters and cam. Jasper apparently addresses this during their rebuild process and opens up the journals. I have one arriving tomorrow ( way faster than OEM cam and lifters). I hope I don't regret it, but Jasper's warranty policy is pretty damn reputable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm from Jasper Indiana. So I have a personal interest in how well the Jasper rebuild does. I hope you keep us posted, Matt.

I have heard from guys that should know, Jasper sees what design flaws, if any, in the engines that they tear down, and will do whatever is possible to rectify the design flaw. Also, supposedly, a few manufacturers are in communication with Jasper, and will take feedback from Jasper and make design modifications. That certainly seems to not be the case reguarding the 5.7.

....I wonder how Jasper's 545RFE quality is....

parkerbows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
this was my friends invoice. 6 months without his truck0b3c6dcb62b5059742eec08a60973c9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk