Engine 5.7 hemi problem camshaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

parkerbows

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
that was the reason I old mine

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
It’s got to be the mds and maybe a oiling design problem with all the idling the cop cars do. He’ll there were days when some guys would only put 30 miles on the car a shift!
i hear that the mds plug switch when off not opening up all the way and u can see on lifter its all dry when pulled !

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I just had this come up on my Ram at 100k miles. I spoke with the Jasper rep who tells me that the factory 5.7 hemi is such a close tolerance engine that it was designed to use very thin oil. So the oil journals are machined very narrow because it was easier and faster to machine. Over time the delay in pumping the oil up to the top end of the motor through such a narrow passage causes premature wear on the lifters and cam. Jasper apparently addresses this during their rebuild process and opens up the journals. I have one arriving tomorrow ( way faster than OEM cam and lifters). I hope I don't regret it, but Jasper's warranty policy is pretty damn reputable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
how u like ur engine so far ! how much did it cost !

Joeram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
What about buying a used engine? We bought a used engine and had it put in my brothers toyota about a year ago. Running great. Cost about $2700 for the engine and the install I'm sure a 5.7 would be more but it might be a way to go for you.

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was playing around awhile back looking at reman Hemi's. One of the company's I was looking at actually said their remans had updates to fix this problem or that. Can't remember what company it was and several of them won't tell you crap unless you put all you're info in like you really want to buy one.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was actually just watching one of those Saturday morning gearhead shows and they had a part of the show just about the hemi cam and lifter problems. They actually based it off the mds lifters being weak especially at the head where they are thinner for mds. They highlighted Arrington Performance for coming up with forged lifters of course non mds to solve this.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
What about buying a used engine? We bought a used engine and had it put in my brothers toyota about a year ago. Running great. Cost about $2700 for the engine and the install I'm sure a 5.7 would be more but it might be a way to go for you.
ebay a rebuilt 2600 so I go that way seems a great deal ! mine is ok for now hope dealer replace so many things fuel injector one exhaust warped replace runs great for now !