Engine cuts out while stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackal1500LH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All. I am trying to diagnose a scary issue. My 2012 RAM Hemi (110K miles) has stalled on occasion when coming to a stop. The engine cuts out (without hesitation) and all the lights/heat/radio etc stay on. I lose power steering and brakes - then shift to neutral or park and it starts right up. The issue previously occurred twice in the span of 3 years since I owned the truck so I was not overly concerned. But then it happened an additional 2 times over the past few days.

When I got the truck in 2019, I had the plugs replaced, transmission fluid/filter changed. I also recently replaced the battery.

No codes are being thrown so I am at a loss. I will likely take it to a dealer but it seems to me that a sporadic issue will be difficult for them to diagnose. Before I do so, just wanted to see if anyone may have encountered a similar issue. Thanks!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fuel Air Spark, sometimes ignition causes stall and the truck doesnt throw a code, it "thinks" you turned it off but in reality could be faulty or shorted. Not sure that is what you have here, that seams to happen more at take off then stop. So it kills at stop before take off correct? Why did you replace the battery? All of this happened after you replaced battery? More info needed here. Even though lights stay on I'd check the voltage. Check all vacuum lines.

OP
OP
J

Jackal1500LH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply. So to clarify, it appears to die while stopping so the truck is still actually moving.

I mentioned that I changed the battery just to rule that out. It has happened before and after the battery change.

Only other issue with the truck is that I occasionally get gas cap warning after fill ups. Tightening the cap seems to resolve it. Thanks again.

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Make sure all of your grounds are tight and clean. Make sure your battery connections are also tight and clean including the connection to the PDC and the Alternator. Bad electrical connections can cause havoc with the electronic components in your veh.

OP
OP
J

Jackal1500LH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks - I will next check all the connections.

One last thing - may be totally unrelated. For months, I have noticed an anti-freeze smell coming from the engine. Could find no evidence of antifreeze in the driveway and the coolant level in the reservoir was perfect. Additionally, I never had a problem with the truck overheating. Today, I happened to check the reservoir and it is empty! Also, I can see a wet stain on the engine where the coolant enters which is presumably where it is leaking from. But that wouldn't have anything to do with this stalling issue, would it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What the title of this would be low rpm stall. One thing to do immediately is only drive in tow haul, this takes away most low rpm's, and see if it continues. If it does this will TH on I'd look more at gas/vacuum/air part of it. If this stops the issue I'd look more at idle control issues and perhaps even transmission.

If the radiator was still full and just the res was empty, I'd rule that out. Was water level good in rad?

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Does a truck have a throttle pedal manipulator in it? If so remove it and retest

OP
OP
J

Jackal1500LH

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reservoir was empty but the radiator was full. Also, no throttle pedal manipulator.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Low transmission fluid level will cause what you are describing, the fluid sloshes when you brake, causes the trans pump to suck air, creates an imbalance in the torque converter and the converter clutch to apply

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Trans filter or filter seal defective or installed incorrectly will cause the same symptom even if the fluid is full

Roy the Fixer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would bet the rent money that the dealer will not find that problem unless they get a sign from heaven on the scan tool! Here's an old school idea to try: check the ground battery cable where it attaches to the engine. Even if it looks clean and tight, the connection may be poor. I have seen this, where the engine will crank and start normally but may stall as the vehicle starts moving, or slowing to a stop. If the ground cable connection is poor, the engine may be using another alternate ground that isn't reliable, either! I saw one case where the cable was not grounding right and the engine was grounding through the transmission case and into a drive axle! At low speed, the axle bearings would get coated with grease and it would lose the ground, so the ignition would simply shut off. Moved the ground cable to a different location on the block and no more problems. It had been attached at one of the bolts on the bellhousing that was used to mount the starter, so cranking was fine, but it was somehow not getting a decent connection to the engine itself! Good luck, hope this helps.

Ed Kelly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the exact same problem going on. I’ve noticed it’s happening only in the first few minutes of the truck running. Although it did happen once after the truck was already warm so I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a cold start related issue.