Engine knocking, lifters and camshafts repaired?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fengfengfeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Brothers, my truck is six years old. From 70000 kilometers, the sound of knocking began. Now it has reached 130000 kilometers. The noise is getting louder. After replacing the exhaust bolt, the idling is quieter and the knocking sound is more prominent. The noise is a little loud before the oil temperature is 90 ℃, and it will become smaller when the oil temperature is high, but it can also be heard when it is quiet. I began to consider replacing the valve lifter and camshaft. Is this problem due to the quality of the hydraulic ejector pin or the design defect? I am worried that the noise will still occur after the replacement after tens of thousands of kilometers. Because I know this problem will eventually lead to cylinder misfire. The service life of trucks is 15 years in China, but I don't want to repair them again in the service life.Should I drive tens of thousands of kilometers to repair it? Now use penzoil 5w20. Replace with red line 5w30 next time.

At present, when the temperature is very low, when started will shake or even misfire. However, it is easy to start it again. There is no fault code.
Occasionally there will be a knock when accelerating rapidly, uphill or when the mds is started. The sound is like that of a manual transmission vehicle with insufficient power. Nothing but occasional noise when driving。
These two problems seem to have lasted from the second year of purchase to now.https://youtu.be/EJXL4EchERU

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fengfengfeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost 0w20 engine oil is used for the first tens of thousands of kilometers. After making noise, I tried 5w30 engine oil on the red line. It seems that the noise is a little lower than 20 engine oil, but it still exists

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
some advise here
Do NOT immediately suspect a cam and lifters!
i had a coworker that had a 2019 ram 5.7l with a misfire that turned out to be a bad injector,
Milage/ Kilometer is really a non-issue.
It all comes down to maintenance,
run some fuel system cleaner 1st, make sure its not broken exhaust manifold bolts (a known problem with these engines).
then remove a valve cover and turn the engine over by hand and watch for the valve to open and close, just to name a couple of preliminary checks.
i personally have gotten misfire codes and it turned out to be a injector on mine that i removed and sprayed with cleaner and reinstalled and had no more issues with.
to help diagnose this problem also, you can swap coil packs as well as injectors then clear codes and see if it sets in the same cylinder code.
the back side of the intake is where the main engine harness runs down onto the top of the transmission and is a bad pinch point. this can cause a broken or frayed wire that can cause misfire codes as well

Hope the helps you and anybody else having these problems.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Post a vid of it running/with the noise if you can helps alot.

OP
OP
F

fengfengfeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
some advise here
Do NOT immediately suspect a cam and lifters!
i had a coworker that had a 2019 ram 5.7l with a misfire that turned out to be a bad injector,
Milage/ Kilometer is really a non-issue.
It all comes down to maintenance,
run some fuel system cleaner 1st, make sure its not broken exhaust manifold bolts (a known problem with these engines).
then remove a valve cover and turn the engine over by hand and watch for the valve to open and close, just to name a couple of preliminary checks.
i personally have gotten misfire codes and it turned out to be a injector on mine that i removed and sprayed with cleaner and reinstalled and had no more issues with.
to help diagnose this problem also, you can swap coil packs as well as injectors then clear codes and see if it sets in the same cylinder code.
the back side of the intake is where the main engine harness runs down onto the top of the transmission and is a bad pinch point. this can cause a broken or frayed wire that can cause misfire codes as well

Hope the helps you and anybody else having these problems.
Thank you for your reply. I currently have no misfire code. Through the stethoscope, it was found that the knocking sound on the driver's side cylinder was very loud. Tried fuel additives, nothing worked. A Jeep shop engineer thinks the camshaft is the most likely.My friend's truck was making a sudden noise. 170,000 kilometers. Then disassemble the damaged camshaft.

OP
OP
F

fengfengfeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
still have a question. A Jeep engineer told me. Only damaged valve lifters need to be replaced. Such as bearing vibration or wear marks. If it's a design flaw does it always break the same position of the valve lifter?I know four are a group, he said to replace the problematic group, there is no need to replace all of them.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
still have a question. A Jeep engineer told me. Only damaged valve lifters need to be replaced. Such as bearing vibration or wear marks. If it's a design flaw does it always break the same position of the valve lifter?I know four are a group, he said to replace the problematic group, there is no need to replace all of them.
It would make no sense $$ at all to tear a motor down that far and not change all lifters whoever told you that clearly has done some shady sht lol.

OP
OP
F

fengfengfeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would make no sense $$ at all to tear a motor down that far and not change all lifters whoever told you that clearly has done some shady sht lol.
This is the sound of coolant temperature and oil temperature above 90 degrees Celsius.Software translation is not very accurate. You mean that since it has been laboriously dismantled, all should be replaced to prevent other problems. right?
(The website doesn't seem to support video uploads. Failed.)

OP
OP
F

fengfengfeng

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe he thinks I should be frugal, parts of this truck are expensive in China, $700 for a set of valve lifters. Ha ha