Engine light on but truck runs normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not unusual for the check engine light to come on and there not be any obvious performance issues with the vehicle. That can be because the issue doesn't really affect the performance (i.e. gas cap light, etc...) but still needs corrected. It could also be because the computer can perform a lot of compensation and "cover up" issues so they are not real noticeable. For example it may be detecting small misfires (knocking) in the engine and retarding ignition to prevent them....while that may prevent the average person from feeling any misfires you can be slightly decreasing performance and fuel economy. The next question is why does the check engine light only come on every few days, weeks, or even months and then goes away when you clear the codes (i.e. disconnecting the battery clears the computer memory). If the codes coming back is always for the same reason that is because it's not occurring constantly, or it takes a certain number of occurrences to trigger the light. Using misfires as an example, if the check engine light would set every time it detected a single misfire the light would always be on. However it counts the total number of misfires and that has to equal a certain number in a certain time period before it triggers. Of course it could an issue that just sporadically occurs. Even if the issue only occurs once (or occurs enough to trigger a code) and then goes away the engine light will stay on for a certain period of time and will not just automatically go off when the problem disappears. Different issues/codes have different criteria for when the light may go out on it's own (usually a certain number of key cycles the issue not occurring).

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don't understand then...if he has a code reader why wouldn't he post up the code? Is he just trying to troll everyone?
My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised people are still replying to this clown. Read the code, fix the issue and move on. How in the world do you expect me to diagnose your issue without the information? This is stupid at best...

OP
OP
M

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you read the code withALFAOBD.

It’s been a couple months now and no code yet again

augiedoggy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
something is amiss or starting to fail... its is possible ignoring the warning will bite you in the @ss later. its also possible you just have a dirty or failing o2 sensor. The best and most logical step would be to just see what the code is next time it pops up and if it came back once it will return again eventually. I had a code on my old ram that I ignored since I was young and had no code reader... it ended up being a plugged soleniod screen / passage in my transmission and by the time I did something about it my transmission was smoked... just something to think about. If I would have caught it early I could have saved myself from a rebuild or at least prevented it for a while longer than I was able to by ignoring the check engine light warning me the pressure was incorrect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The battery was almost dead after sitting for a month, I boosted it and it was stuck in 4th gear.
I charged the battery and all is good.

I finally got the truck to the Dealer and had lots of low voltage codes.
I will be buying a new interstate battery, I wouldn’t let them put in another crappy mopar battery