Engine light on but truck runs normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dash engine light came on suddenly yesterday but the truck is running normal, why?
2018, 2500 Laramie 6.4 hemi.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Without knowing the code thats set it could literally be anything. But since the truck seems to run fine I would bet its an evap code which usually has 0 impact on how the truck drives.

Do yourself a favor and get a bluetooth OBD adaptor and keep it in your truck. You can get them relatively cheap online and then download the Torque app. That way you always have the ability to check codes no matter where you are. Should be under $30, I keep one in both our vehicles.

OP
OP
M

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a OBD reader.
OBDLink MX + bluetooth
I also have the ALFAOBD program on my PC I have used to reset the tire pressure, fog lights on with high beam, etc. I
Is there a free code reader for blue tooth I could download onto my iPhone?

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure on the free code reader for Bluetooth since thats over my head but like @Hemi395 said any type of code reader is nice to have in any vehicle you have. Even if it's a cheap $30 Walmart one. I've got a handheld one in my work car and my truck at all times. They're nice to have on hand to give you peace of mind when normally it's nothing too concerning.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Do you have MX or MX+? MX+ is supposed to work with Apple. If you have just MX there should be a program in the apps store.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The MX isn't sold any longer and IIRC there was something with the BT hardware that Apple IOS didn't like. For the MX+ the software from OBDLink is in the App Store, others work as well as do many Windows and Linux apps.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
A cheap code reader is an essential "tool" these days. There are hundreds if not thousands of different things that can trigger a CEL. Many (most?) of which don't have any noticeable impact on performance and are really not that immediate (sensors, short one-time event, etc.). Being able to diagnose on the run is essential. Get a cheap code reader and be done with it. In the meantime, Autozone stores (and probably others) will read a code and give you a printout of the problem for free.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
fk it. put black tape over the light. hehe Funny because I would never do that. I'm **** retentive af.

OP
OP
M

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disconnected the battery for few minuets, the reconnected it and the check engine light is off.
I now remember this happening to me about 6 months ago and I read somewhere sometimes this works so I did it again. :)

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I disconnected the battery for few minuets, the reconnected it and the check engine light is off.
I now remember this happening to me about 6 months ago and I read somewhere sometimes this works so I did it again. :)

Another great feature of the code reader I forgot to mention is you can clear the code to see if it returns (they often don't) so you can potentially save a trip to the shop.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will sometimes run a scan on my truck just for the hell of it and it come up with codes that don’t even trigger the check engine light. I just clear them and go on. Figure if it’s not enough to trigger a light then it’s not that big of a problem. I’ve had anything from reverse lamp under current to wrong oil weight being used. Truck runs just fine and I don’t worry about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s back again, been about 4 months since the check engine light was on.
I disconnected the battery again like the last time and reconnected but the light stayed on this time.
I drove with the 8,200 lbs RV trailer with it on for appox 700 Kms (440 miles) to get home. Truck ran fine the whole time.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It’s back again, been about 4 months since the check engine light was on.
I disconnected the battery again like the last time and reconnected but the light stayed on this time.
I drove with the 8,200 lbs RV trailer with it on for appox 700 Kms (440 miles) to get home. Truck ran fine the whole time.
If it keeps coming back on then there is some kind of issue.

Without the code (you NEED a code reader, or at least to go to an auto parts store to have them pull the code), no one here can help you.

Your description of 'the truck runs fine but the light came on while I was pulling a trailer' doesn't help us at all. The code will point you in the right direction to fix the problem.

OP
OP
M

miles01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I disconnected the battery (both positive & negative this time).
Reconnected after about 20 minutes this time.
Engine light is now out.
There was never any messages in the message Center

fireflymedic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If you recently filled up with gas. Check your gas cap is on tite.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When the light comes on again, which it will because you didnt actually do anything to correct the problem, I would suggest NOT disconnecting the battery and go to your local auto parts store if you dont want to buy a cheap code reader and have them hook a scan tool to the truck to actually retrieve the code(s). They will check the codes for free. All you are doing is kicking the can down the road

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
When the light comes on again, which it will because you didnt actually do anything to correct the problem, I would suggest NOT disconnecting the battery and go to your local auto parts store if you dont want to buy a cheap code reader and have them hook a scan tool to the truck to actually retrieve the code(s). They will check the codes for free. All you are doing is kicking the can down the road
He has a reader. Even mentioned he changed things with AlfaOBD.

Not sure why he doesn't check code with though. I would agree with you. stop disconnecting the battery and get code, if there is one.

Keep the reader in your truck. If the light comes on. pull over. plug it, connect it to your phone. try to read the code.
OBDLink has app in apple store if you have apple phone. If your at home. connect it and use AlfaOBD to pull code.
either one should work.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
He has a reader. Even mentioned he changed things with AlfaOBD.

Not sure why he doesn't check code with though. I would agree with you. stop disconnecting the battery and get code, if there is one.

Keep the reader in your truck. If the light comes on. pull over. plug it, connect it to your phone. try to read the code.
OBDLink has app in apple store if you have apple phone. If your at home. connect it and use AlfaOBD to pull code.
either one should work.
I don't understand then...if he has a code reader why wouldn't he post up the code? Is he just trying to troll everyone?

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
DO NOT ignore the light ! Resetting it does not fix it and it may be a simple fix or if ignored a big expense to fix,
You can get the code off Google or many here will give you that info and as mentioned many parts stores will scan for free !
On my car I have a engine light and scanned it to find out my newer O2 sensors are bad :O . Car runs fine but if I do not fix the issue who knows what could happen :O