Engine noise, video of noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the end it will be a bad lifter/roller I can see why some may think its not hopefully your cam is not damaged to bad and you can same come money.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that was one of my first thoughts aswell, its a mechanic right now, he informed me that he pulled the belt off and the noise is still there. The strange thing is the clicking, popping noise does not change with motor rpm.
Hmmm.

As I hear it the noise appears to be erratic. If it does not change with engine RPM, something else on the body must be making the noise.

Did your technician check the vibration damper for possible cracks? That would be the part of the crankshaft pulley.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 065281 miles.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got back with the mechanic and he says it is indeed a cam and lifter replacement. He hasnt completely tore into the motor yet but says it looks like nobody has ever taken the heads off or opened the motor. Im at 165k miles, 2012 cc laramie limited 5.7 with 5000 hours on engine. I purchased the truck in '15 or '16 with 60k on it. I ran one oil cycle with conventional valvoline, then swapped to penzoil ultra platinum 5w20. I did run mobil 1 synthetic once because they were out of PUP and had that on sale. I change oil as the change oil warning comes up. Try not to go over to much. But this cam and lifter may have 165k and 5000 engine hours.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"I change oil as the change oil warning comes up."
This means that your oil changes occurred somewhere near every 10,000 miles?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 065330 miles.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
This means that your oil changes occurred somewhere near every 10,000 miles?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 065330 miles.
Doesnt seem like its that long

hogan1945

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed my oil at every 3000 mi since 2012, and still at 131000 eng. turned to crap!!!
My eng. was knocking on top and bottom so replaced with new reman long block. Very pleased with my mechanic price and work, but he said i could have kept driving with knocking for quite a lot longer? I just didn't want it to strand me some where when the codes start to show up.
I am a part time NAPA driver so my additional replacement parts were a great price. My senior
part time benefits?? Still after all done about $7100. In all my years of owning cars and trucks, this is the first time I have ever had to replace a motor at this low milage. With all the cars I have, this will be the last Mopar for sure. Now I know why my higher power kept me away from Mopar's till now? You have to be retired with assets to afford the repairs!

Attachments

• 2021-09-13 16.29.36.jpg
    2021-09-13 16.29.36.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok so.... my mechanic did the cam and lifter swap. We went back with mopar/chrysler parts. Truck wont be making licks at the track so no need in a performance cam. Bit its all back together and its making the same noise. The cam had some marks on one lobe that looked like some body took a punch to it and tapped it about 5 times, so it was damaged. I believe one of the lifters may have been broke. It wasnt rounded or wore in just some pitting on the end of a lobe. But its still making the noise. He still has it and is contemplating tearing it back down. Im just looking for more ideas before we do that and everything looks good. Again i know theres a lot of noise in the video but there is a distinct tapping/ chirping noise. It does not accelerate with rpm change that we can tell. Any input will be appreciated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That damage is needle bearings, it is about maybe 10% of the lifter issues. The problem is not knowing why the needle bearing failed. It could be that you have restriction in one lifter bore and that made needle bearing fail. I'd look at all lifter bodies and look for scuffing. it would be nice if they marked them, probably too late. do you know which cylinder was effected? Did he change valve springs?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
after you have done all you can, get redline 5w30 and a rp filter 20-820. it is about science not brand.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
That damage is needle bearings, it is about maybe 10% of the lifter issues. The problem is not knowing why the needle bearing failed. It could be that you have restriction in one lifter bore and that made needle bearing fail. I'd look at all lifter bodies and look for scuffing. it would be nice if they marked them, probably too late. do you know which cylinder was effected? Did he change valve springs?
He put new new lifters and a cam in. He did not change the springs, but i mentioned to him, that the valve springs being broke was mentioned on the forum, he said they all looked fine. He ran the motor with the belt off before he tore the motor down just to make sure it wasnt any pulleys or bearings and it still made the noise. Were just looking for any leads before he takes the lifters back out to inspect since they are new.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If there are no codes, sadly this is very common to still have tick after cam/lifter swap. In this case, and mind you I have probably listened to 100 of these, my recommendations were different then others. So answer me this, did you ever throw a code I forget the specifics and didnt catch it quickly when I looked.

do you still have old lifters and cam?

I hope he used the 2016 oem lifters?

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
If there are no codes, sadly this is very common to still have tick after cam/lifter swap. In this case, and mind you I have probably listened to 100 of these, my recommendations were different then others. So answer me this, did you ever throw a code I forget the specifics and didnt catch it quickly when I looked.

do you still have old lifters and cam?

I hope he used the 2016 oem lifters?
No i never got a code or any check engine lights. Im not sure if he does or not. I did see the cam laat week after he pulled it out. Im not sure which lifters. He said they were oem. Yeah i hear ya on the tick but man this doesnt sound like a tick lol. Least to me it doesnt. I had the exhaust tick and this way worse. To me it sounds like metal tapping, almost the tone of a water drop falling in water lol. It just baffles me that the (tick) doesnt get faster or louder as the engine revs up. I know a little bit but im no mechanic. What in the engine moves, but doesnt speed up with rpm?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That was my point, I have heard at least 100 hemi tick recordings on the board and yours sounded like a valve spring imo. In 2016 they beefed up the rollers bearings, aka needle bearings, the thing that damaged your cam. Mechanics often dont have all of the information as the board does. taking valve cover off not too hard.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I asked him if the valve springs were good and he said yes, he had everything pulled apart, had the heads machined in case if warping. I asked him to change all spark plugs and manifold bolts while it was all apart. Im going to his shop in the morning to talk to him. I appreciate your opinions and ideas, thats why i made the post was for opinions. Im a refrigeration tech so trying to solve problems like this is what we live for in the service world. But i will talk to him and try to get more info. I mentioned that ive discussed the issue on a forum before i took the truck to him and i told him what some of you guys stated at the beginning. Originally he didnt think the noise was cam and lifters but i guess he did some research and decided to change them out, which it was a matter of time before it went out.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The noise seems erratic which is unusual for something like a cam or lifters. They usually make a very rhythmic noise that increase and decreases with engine speed. To my ear it sounds almost like a high voltage electrical arc. I would run it in a dark garage and also check the coil packs.

OP
OP
Ryan J

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went by his shop last week and heard the truck run with new lifters and cam. The ticky lifter noise in my video is completely gone but the erratic noise is still there. Its not as loud or as often as it used to be. It was idling and at opetating temp once we finally heard it. He is tearing it back down to look at lifters. We discussed upgrading oil pump and timing chain. What oil pump is everybody upgrading to? I beleive i see that its a melling but not sure which one exactly?

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did your mechanic put a stethoscope on your fuel injectors, they have been known to make allot of noise, I would put some Redline Sl-1 complete fuel system cleaner in the gas tank it will quiet them down.

Leolo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2012 with 195,000 is making the same exact sound as in your video. Very hard to describe, but definitely isn't tied to engine speed. I've been driving around with it for close to a year now. I didn't notice the sound until after replacing a failed power steering hose. Probably just a coincidence. Hope you find the issue and keep us updated!