engine noise when starting a very cold truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lungs414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In cold temps when the truck is started for there first time in the morning I have what almost sounds like a vacuum leak. Seems to be coming from the drivers side. Like I said it only happens when it is cold out, in the summer nothing. Brought it in but the dealer said they hear it but can't identify it. The problem is once the engine gets warmed up it disappears.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exhaust manifold bolts.

Grab the heat shield and see if it moves easily. And the most common bolt to break first seems to be the one closest to the firewall....see if its already missing or if you can turn it easily with a ratchet or even by hand.

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had broken manifold bolts and also have the the occasional hemi tick that last's for 5 or so seconds on cold starts.

What the OP described is neither. Why do people assume any abnormal sound from a Hemi is automatically broken manifold bolts?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had broken manifold bolts and also have the the occasional hemi tick that last's for 5 or so seconds on cold starts.

What the OP described is neither. Why do people assume any abnormal sound from a Hemi is automatically broken manifold bolts?

Because some people have described the broken manifold noise as a temporary "hiss" on startup, that goes away after the truck warms up?

Basically *exactly* how the OP described it?

BigRed4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because some people have described the broken manifold noise as a temporary "hiss" on startup, that goes away after the truck warms up?

Basically *exactly* how the OP described it?
I guess I've never saw where people described it as a hiss. It's always the, tick, tick, tick that doesn't go away after warm up. Which, is exactly how mine sounded when I had 2 broken bolts.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
The sound my truck was making at cold startup happens to my truck only when I don't wait a few seconds before actually turning the key over for it to start.

A few people here on the forums said it sounded like the Hemi tick and others suggested it might be a manifold leak.

My girlfriends uncle is a mechanic and going to have him take a look at it, but from what I described to him he said it is just the oil dropping down and the lifters having to do something with the noise ...

He said not to worry about it

JS1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In cold temps when the truck is started for there first time in the morning I have what almost sounds like a vacuum leak. Seems to be coming from the drivers side. Like I said it only happens when it is cold out, in the summer nothing. Brought it in but the dealer said they hear it but can't identify it. The problem is once the engine gets warmed up it disappears.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Any chance this could be a pulley? I've been hearing a whooshing sound coming from the engine bay, and today it was officially diagnosed as a bad belt tensioner. Might not be related, but worth checking it out.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've noticed this as well. But only when really cold, like less than 20 degrees and it's been sitting over night. Sounded like it was coming from exhaust under the drivers side passenger door. Quit after a few seconds.

I'll try holding my key longer before turning tomorrow morning.

Just noticed it for the first time recently as it got really cold. Trucks a 17 using redline 5w30. Never noticed any tick or anything

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tested leaving the key on this morning for 5 seconds or so before starting. Didn't make any weird noises. Was 12 degrees out

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The whole leaving the key on thing makes not much sense to me. I believe everyone that says it makes a difference, but the oil pump on our trucks is not electric, so I cant figure out how it would help fix something that a lot of people are confident is an oiling related issue.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The whole leaving the key on thing makes not much sense to me. I believe everyone that says it makes a difference, but the oil pump on our trucks is not electric, so I cant figure out how it would help fix something that a lot of people are confident is an oiling related issue.

Unless it's the electric fan, maybe leaving the key on lets the computer get a good fluid temp reading and and not run the fan when first started?????

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
might want to try redline 5w30 for a run one time to see if it helps. The formula has many things that protect against dry starts. Nearly 10 times the moly as average.

OP
OP
L

lungs414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Checked the heat shields they seem fine. Not sure where to go from here, 2 local dealers both suck. 1 is the place i bought from. problem is it will have to stay overnight, on a cold day.