Engine noise!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good morning y’all

I replaced my serpentine belt this morning, not the idler pulley due to I need my truck for school this week and the part wasn’t available in my town until Friday. Anyway soooo at first I was getting a loud whistling or whooshing sound on acceleration now I’m getting a faint whistling sound on acceleration, any ideas? Should I spray belt dressing on the new belt? Is the new shorter belt placing strain on the pulleys that are 11 years old with 77,000 miles on them? I plan on replacing the idler when I have more time. Thanks for any advice.

Kevin

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Why is the new belt shorter? It shouldn't be able to go on If it's too short. Still have the old one to compare?
And a new belt needs no dressing.

OP
OP
A

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why is the new belt shorter? It shouldn't be able to go on If it's too short. Still have the old one to compare?
And a new belt needs no dressing.

Good morning

I figured the old belt would’ve stretched over time, I compared both belts and they looked identical in size, figured maybe the old belt stretched a little bit you won’t see until you install the new belt? Anyway sooo I won’t need to use any belt dressing? Great!

Kevin

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Can you hear the noise giving it gas in park or just while moving? If it's there in park, have someone rev it while you try to pinpoint the location.
A whistle could even be a vacuum leak or the air tube loose at the throttle body.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
One way to diagnose the noise is remove the belt and run the engine beltless. Briefly, because the water pump won’t be turning. But you can do it long enough to determine if the noise remains, which will tell you to look elsewhere like intake leaks.

OP
OP
A

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you hear the noise giving it gas in park or just while moving? If it's there in park, have someone rev it while you try to pinpoint the location.
A whistle could even be a vacuum leak or the air tube loose at the throttle body.

Will do, thanks.

Kevin

OP
OP
A

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One way to diagnose the noise is remove the belt and run the engine beltless. Briefly, because the water pump won’t be turning. But you can do it long enough to determine if the noise remains, which will tell you to look elsewhere like intake leaks.

Will do this also, thanks

Kevin

Michigan BIGHORN

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi (obviously)
And if you ever feel the need to put anything on your belt use Armor All not belt dressing and even that's not recommend it's only a bandaid. Belt dressing hardens, glazes and cracks with time, Armor All just dissipates plus it conditions the rubber a little in the process. Again though I don't recommend any of it.

OP
OP
A

ArmyGrunt66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And if you ever feel the need to put anything on your belt use Armor All not belt dressing and even that's not recommend it's only a bandaid. Belt dressing hardens, glazes and cracks with time, Armor All just dissipates plus it conditions the rubber a little in the process. Again though I don't recommend any of it.

Good morning

Funny thing is I hadn’t put anything on my serpentine belts in over 20 years, usually replaced the belt as part of periodic maintenance. This time I heard a noise and figured I’ll put some silicone spray on the belt, noise went away, Binged for information and saw it’s just a bandaid, next day the noise came back, inspected the belt and felt crustiness on the ribbed portion, went and bought a new belt and replaced it already, I don’t think I’ll put any substance on any of my belts, never really used belt dressing as a habit.

Kevin