Engine Oil Experiences 2013+ Non-Deleted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Just want to see what engine oil and change interval everyone is using on their stock non-deleted trucks. Also want to know how many have had emissions related problems. Trying to figure out the best way to keep from having problems with the emissions parts. I know, I know delete it and don’t have to worry about it. Just trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t on the trucks that use DEF(urea). My 2018 runs great and has more power than I actually need. Only have 4.7k miles on it so throwing the warranty away is not an option. And with EPA,DEQ and whoever or whatever other agency or agent wants to do a look see or inspection, I’m just more comfortable with it like it is. So, what are y’all using and how often? Thanks

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My Cummins spends 90% of its drive time pulling something, typically 15,000 pounds or more. I follow the scheduled maintenance table, run T6 (I'm in a colder climate), change fuel filters and oil when the life meter indicates. I've had zero issues outside of what appeared to be a never-ending stream of recalls albeit that too has settled.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
The ISB in our 2018 motor home is my fourth Cummins, and I’ll say the best yet. I’m changing at the recommended 15k intervals using whatever major brand name is cheapest at the time. I am somewhat of a maintenance fanatic; used to stick with synthetic and micro pore filters, all that. Then I came to the realization that everyone I knew with a Cummins it outlived the vehicle it was in, and they don’t experience lubrication related failures.

No emissions related issues at 30k miles. And I’ve run enough diesel through this already to carry the average pickup twice that distance; we’re 36k and up in gross weight.

I do believe light loads contribute to higher chances of emission problems.

PS I also do used oil analysis which supports the Cummins recommended intervals and oil spec are doing fine.

OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I really appreciate y’all’s replies. I have a gasser I use for my really short trips and drive my diesel when I have 40-50 miles or pulling my TT. Looks like FCA requires every 6 months changes and this time of year that means 2-3000. Not a problem though, I enjoy doing it. I was mainly interested in the emissions parts and how they were holding up and if there was any difference in longevity with a difference in what oil was being used. I know the ISB isn’t picky about the oil as long as it is the correct viscosity and changed regularly. Thanks again

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Your oil will have no bearing on the emissions parts and their longevity.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Just did the first on my '19 with T6 and Fleetguard Stratapore. Doing 10K intervals, but if I did more highway and long distance I would consider stretching it out to 15K. No issues(knocking wood)and this thing pulls like a beast. MPG could be better.

OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I get 11-12 mpg towing my 7k TT. You’re right they are beasts. Can’t even tell the trailer is behind me.

Looks like I’m going to have to change the fuel filters at 1 year since there is no way I’ll have 15,000 in a year. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just Throwing this new option out there! Possibly a good choice for those who don't tow Med/Heavy 24/7...

Low ASH or Basically Very Low Levels of ZDDP... Basically more time between Regens and Longer DPF life - (Possibly) But the Owner still has to drive like a civilized human being as well!

https://www.parmanenergy.com/delo-600-adf/

From what I understand the Newer Anti-Wear addtives used are undetectable via a inexpensive VOA or UOA...

https://www.fleetowner.com/equipmen...shares-insights-on-new-delo-diesel-engine-oil

Last edited: