Engine oil off the lot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
What oil comes in the 2500 with CTD off the lot? Dino? Synthetic? Brand? Anyone know?

And to all you guys who's philosophy is that oil is oil and it doesn't matter, assume your opinion has already been noted but I still want an answer to the question. ;)

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I was told synthetic

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If I had to take a guess I would say Valvoline dino.
If what come in the engine new is such a major concern, pull a sample and send it in for testing. If absolutely bothers you that it's not your favorite brand and type of oil then change it. Given the +300K mile life expectancy of a CTD, running the factory fill for the full 15K miles oil change interval isn't going make a difference in life expectancy.

OP
OP
D

Darron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins diesel
Hmmm... one dino, one synthetic. I'm sure the guys at the dealership will just say whatever sounds best (synthetic) and whatever ends the conversation.

Sending a sample is not a bad idea but wouldn't it be nearly as efficient to just replace the oil?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
What is in there? Whatever FCA got a good deal on from one of the major oil manufacturers. Only way to be sure is to change it yourself to your preferred brand.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sending a sample is not a bad idea but wouldn't it be nearly as efficient to just replace the oil?
Changing it would be more economical for getting to the exact results of what's in the crankcase. Your way over thinking the factory fill, I wouldn't even think of changing it early unless your weather is going to drop below zero (0°F) before the next service interval is due. Chances are the CTD is going to commit suicide due to boredom and being coddled too much, they're like Porsche you need to work them and they don't care if the oil isn't your favorite. Don't freak out when the oil is black by 5K miles, it still good and will do the same to your favorite oil also... it's a diesel thing that gassers just don't understand.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
well Cummins recommends certain brands so l am guessing one of them ie:rotela t6

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Vavoline Synthetic form cummins website it's a Cummins approved engine oil.

agtcovert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2020 owner's manual doesn't say anything about Valvoline. It does mention Shell Rotella or Shell Rimula. Just saying -- I know Cummins may have something else on their website, I haven't looked.

Anecdotal, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere 5W-40 (don't know what brand) is the factory fill, so it covers all operating conditions.

ddown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But the wizards at FCA don't drain the oil put in at the cummins plant and refill with rotella the only reason FCA lists Shell/Pennzoil is a marketing agreement.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I'm going to assume the engines are shipped to the plant like any other new engine I've purchased, and that is free of all fluids. Which makes sense from a shipping perspective. Less weight and no hazmat fee.

No idea what the plant uses. Most likely whatever they have a large contract for. They use Pennzoil in the Hemi's, so possibly that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963